Passed 100,000 apps!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
nice , we got to 100k apps 4 months faster then then Android ( witch took them 2 years and us 20months)

this will shut people up :)

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's great and all, but like Android and iOS, lot's of junk in there.

Numbers don't mean anything right...it's just another version of specs. So shouldn't WP fans not rejoice over numbers, but rejoice over quality? Sometimes I am confused of what the trend is around here.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how many of them are weather apps? 20k? lol.
You must be thinking about Android. I counted 33 dedicated weather apps (not including apps that have weather as part of a news app), 4 tornado apps and 2 earthquake apps (?). Not sure how helpful an earthquake app is, maybe your phone starts vibrating really hard? Anyway, there were at least a dozen more weather apps, judging by the icon, but they're in Japanese (?) or some Oriental language. Beyond Weather Channel or Accuweather, even 33 is overkill IMO.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

Numbers don't mean anything right...it's just another version of specs. So shouldn't WP fans not rejoice over numbers, but rejoice over quality? Sometimes I am confused of what the trend is around here.

How do you even know how much of it is crap apps? Have you installed and tried all 100,000 apps? Tell me how does one count/measure "quality apps"? What is quality to you, might be crap to me. So I think it's immeasurable, which means, under your qualification, we will never have a chance to rejoice.

To me the increasing numbers, at a faster pace, means more and more devs are developing for WP. That is something definetly worth rejoicing.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
How do you even know how much of it is crap apps? Have you installed and tried all 100,000 apps? Tell me how does one count/measure "quality apps"? What is quality to you, might be crap to me. So I think it's immeasurable, which means, under your qualification, we will never have a chance to rejoice.

To me the increasing numbers, at a faster pace, means more and more devs are developing for WP. That is something definetly worth rejoicing.

Yes, it's a great number, but please be serious. Look though the apps unblinded. There is a lot of junk that nobody would install. But that's the way it is.

WP is my only phone so I want it to succeed.

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Since when did quantity not equal quality? Quantity equals more competiton. More competition equals more quality. It's the reason why the ATT/Tmo merger failed. More is better.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Since when did quantity not equal quality? Quantity equals more competiton. More competition equals more quality. It's the reason why the ATT/Tmo merger failed. More is better.

Quantity does not alway equal quality is almost every aspect of life.
I have to disagree that more is always better.

I will trade you three prepaid cell phones for your Lumia. Great deal for you since you feel that quantity is equal to quality.

We could have 100K fart apps from 100K different developers and your saying that would be good?

Never mind. It's pointless. We now have 100k apps and growing. That is great.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Quantity means I no longer can browse the Marketplace without planning to spend 3-4 hours to find a good 0.99 app. I used to browse for new apps every night. I have 185 active apps/games (another 75 deleted) and I would say 85% of them were installed more than 9 months ago, when it was easier to find an app.

Almost without exception, the only new apps I have installed the past 6 months have been those I read about on various sites. Have probably overlooked some real gems.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Quantity means I no longer can browse the Marketplace without planning to spend 3-4 hours to find a good 0.99 app. I used to browse for new apps every night. I have 185 active apps/games (another 75 deleted) and I would say 85% of them were installed more than 9 months ago, when it was easier to find an app.

Almost without exception, the only new apps I have installed the past 6 months have been those I read about on various sites. Have probably overlooked some real gems.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
Couldn't agree more. Really, who uses more than 10-15 GOOD apps on a weekly basis. In the event you need a particular app, you spend hours digging through 10k fart apps before finding what you need. I think that the folks who run the Marketplace would do us all a favor if they screened apps for unrelated keywords that devs put in. If I'm searching for a weather app, I shouldn't have to weed through a maze of doodling apps because some slickster thought it'd be smart to put in a dozen keywords so his app would show up on searches.

madhouse1616

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

You're on the money; however I do disagree ONLY in the sense that having over 100k apps at "least" starts to shut the critics up...if only a little...yes they still will say well look @ android/apple markets but at least it will be apparent to even them people/developers are starting to take win7/win8 platform very seriously...and "this" is a little proof

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You're on the money; however I do disagree ONLY in the sense that having over 100k apps at "least" starts to shut the critics up...if only a little...yes they still will say well look @ android/apple markets but at least it will be apparent to even them people/developers are starting to take win7/win8 platform very seriously...and "this" is a little proof
Haters will always hate. Match iOS & Android app for app and they'll b**ch about something else.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Whether they are quality or not is irrelevant here.

The fact that we have reached 100.000 apps means something. And we did it four months faster than Android. That also tells me something.

I'm sure Android had as many crap apps when they hit 100.000. But that's not relevant.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
The number means nothing, quality wins out every time. It should't be a race to see who can throw the most apps on the market, but judged by the quality of apps on the market. I would gladly take a few hundred (inlcuding games) quality apps over a 100,000 junkpile.

For you number fans (who are strangly against specs) this is good news for you.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
My question is how do we achieve this? Should MS police the Marketplace more? Should they not allow devs who make fart apps? Should they remove the crappy apps like the official Facebook and official Twitter? Because those are definitely non-quality apps to me, which I try to avoid using. If you start doing that, then no devs will want to build for our OS.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Dont get me wrong, I love my WP7 device...

It's the apps that come out on the other platforms that is what everyone is interested in. I can slap together a basic app in an hour or so and dump it up there. Oh, now we have 100,001 apps.

It's all about the apps, When you see big titles that everyone is talking about (that are huge on iOS and Android), then people will see WP7 differently.

Personally, it's about every day stuff, things that would be important every day. WP7 could have 1 billion apps but, till my local radio station or my local TV network that has apps for iOS, Android and even blackberry, offers their app for Windows Phone 7, then it will have succeed.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
It's good to see the App Store growing, but I'd like to see more of the bigger guys making apps for WP7 like the "with friends" games, not that I personally care too much about them but it's going to help WP7 in general so it would be a good thing. Personally I don't miss many apps from my iPhone, but there are a few productivity apps I'd like to see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo