My ideal twitter app features. Twitter developers take note!

Snow

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Just wanna make a list of my ideal twitter app features as i realise i cant find a really great app that has all the features i need. Something that allows me to only use 1 twitter app and uninstall the rest. Apps in brackets means that particular app has that feature.
DISCLAMER: I will only use the following twitter apps in this comparison as i tried them extensively before. (Rowi, carbon, mehdoh and twabbit). Sorry no gleek ): It has too much features really, sometimes i just want a twitter client not some extras etc. Subjective, no hate :)

*Important Features* (THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE COMMON SENSE FEATURES SUCH AS STAY ON LAST TWEET WHEN REFRESHED, TRENDS, ABILITY TO CHANGE PROFILE PICS QUOTING, ETC.) It also does not include features like read it later, multiple account support, lists, instapaper, aviary photo editor, tweetmarker or any extra features as not everyone need this.

1. LARGE inline images "everywhere" (Carbon) Rowi do have inline images but its too small and its only available in timeline if im not wrong. unlike carbon which is available everywhere including users profile page tweets. It also really helps the design of the app. For example, carbon design is really plain as its mostly black and white, but with the large image preview it kind of turn into a beautiful app.

2. Conversation view (Carbon, rowi, mehdoh, offical twitter app, twabbit) The best of this lot is rowi as you do not have to swipe in order to view the conversation. It is already there infront of you when you click on a tweet

3. INSTANT Push notifications (Rowi, official twitter app) This is the most important feature imo. The official twitter app just got updated and i tried its push notification and its literally instant to me but it doesnt have a live tile counter which is pathetic. Since i dont have rowi paid version i cant comment on how well it is but as far as i know, they have this feature.

4. Ability to see retweets to me, of me & by me (Mehdoh, Carbon, Rowi)

5. Since the limit of tweets load is 200 tweets, when clicking load more, the app should immediately move to the last read tweet after the load more. (Twabbit) Only twabbit did this as the rest of the twitter apps still stay on the tweet before the load more option even after clicking load more.

6. Vibrate after successful or unsuccessful event such as Tweet sent, retweeted a tweet, followed someone etc (Twabbit) I never thought that such a feature can be useful but after using twabbit, i love this feature. It helps to alert you when your tweet is sent or failed to send etc. Unlike other apps in which when you try to send a tweet in a low connection area. It just disappear after you click send without alerting you whether you successfully posted it or not. ( Some apps do alert you but by vibrating, i feel its the best way to alert you.

7. Gestures (Twabbit, carbon) While this is not really a necessary feature, it is creative and can help improve your user experience to be more convenient such as double tap to reply or two finger tap to quote.

8. Load all columns at once during start up or by manually clicking the refresh button. (All except rowi) I tried rowi and i hated it that it only loads the column your at, example timeline when you click the refresh button.

9.SMOOTH (LAG -FREE) (All except mehdoh) Another most important feature. Official twitter app and twabbit is the best in this regards, its fast and smooth. Mehdoh is the worst, starting the app takes forever, swiping lags. Carbon though can still be improve.

10. Ability to see top tweets in trends. What this meant is that when clicking on a specific trend such as england, instead of seeing all the new tweets that appear like 0secs ago, there should be a option to see top tweets( those with the most retweets) from that trends just like in the desktop browser. Im not sure whether twitter api allows this so if it doesnt, ignore this point!

One example is carbon, i love its inline images, but there is no push notifications, and it fails on POINT5 and clicking on a IE link then clicking the back button leads us to the resuming page which is disappointing as mango should already solve this.

There we go, sorry for the long post. As i mentioned before, there is no app in the marketplace that have all these features i mentioned in a single app ): So if there are any twitter developers, mayb you guys could take note of this :D

This are just what i really want to see in a twitter app other then the common sense stuff like edit and retweet, trends etc. Obviously, stuff like instapaper, read it later should be added too but since not everyone uses it, i leave it out as i said above. If there are any mistakes, please do forgive me :) Thanks.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I would say Carbon is my favourite. If they polished up the search function and allowed you to swipe to the right (ala official Twitter app), it would make life a lot easier.

Snow

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I would say Carbon is my favourite. If they polished up the search function and allowed you to swipe to the right (ala official Twitter app), it would make life a lot easier.
I love carbon too mainly for its inline images, though the lack of important features that i have mentioned my long post is true ): Hence i have official twitter app installed mainly for push notifications, carbon for main use and mehdoh and twabbit for overall use. This is because i havent bought carbon as i was waiting for push notification which the dev promised months ago but the dev kind of went mia for windows phone as he focus on andriod app atm. As a result my carbon is trial and it does not have follow friend function and retweet function lol.

lesnjoro

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
i have tried most of the WP Twitter apps, finally today tried the updated Official twitter app.. finally i have an app that does it for me.. no lag (mehdoh has a time lag) simple (Gleek to busy) actual push notifications finally (no OS restricted aka 30min).
the push work for both mobile data and wifi.. FINALLY!!:cool:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I love carbon too mainly for its inline images, though the lack of important features that i have mentioned my long post is true ): Hence i have official twitter app installed mainly for push notifications, carbon for main use and mehdoh and twabbit for overall use. This is because i havent bought carbon as i was waiting for push notification which the dev promised months ago but the dev kind of went mia for windows phone as he focus on andriod app atm. As a result my carbon is trial and it does not have follow friend function and retweet function lol.

Personally, I've never had an issue with notifications. An email alert and my Me tile is more than sufficient for me. :)

Snow

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I've never had an issue with notifications. An email alert and my Me tile is more than sufficient for me. :)
Me tile isnt instant though ): Its great but it take like 5-10mins to show up. Also it the integrated twitter doesnt support autocomplete for username. Email is great too but its inconsistent for me, sometimes it shows up sometimes it doesnt. Not sure why about that. Also it doesnt have deep link into the tweet... The official twitter app push notification is working great though!

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree, it's a little odd that the email alerts can be hit 'n miss, and I can see why you would prefer a toast over relying on the Me tile which can, sometimes, take a while to wake up. Personally, the combination of the two (email/Me tile) still work for me. If the Me tile is asleep, you can be sure an email alert will come through. Regarding the linky to the tweet, I usually back out and refresh the Me tile to reply. . .

Whatever floats your boat. :)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
i have tried most of the WP Twitter apps, finally today tried the updated Official twitter app.. finally i have an app that does it for me.. no lag (mehdoh has a time lag) simple (Gleek to busy) actual push notifications finally (no OS restricted aka 30min).
the push work for both mobile data and wifi.. FINALLY!!:cool:
Just for clarification, the Twitter app is using a push server to send you toasts. Any app can use push, but it requires a developer to setup a dedicated server (or two) to forward messages to you. That is an expense most developers will not bear for a free or 0.99 app. Background tasks, which can only poll for new info every 30 minutes is free.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

lesnjoro

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Just for clarification, the Twitter app is using a push server to send you toasts. Any app can use push, but it requires a developer to setup a dedicated server (or two) to forward messages to you. That is an expense most developers will not bear for a free or 0.99 app. Background tasks, which can only poll for new info every 30 minutes is free.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
AAAHH... thats why pple have a preference for paid ROWI. thanx for the clarification.

Famous Mortimer

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd like alternating colours for tweets, so you can see where one ends and the next one begins - like the best Android apps (we're talking grey and white, something simple like that). Also, being able to email yourself tweets would be nice, which MehDoh appears to not be able to do.

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
4. Ability to see retweets to me, of me & by me (Mehdoh, Carbon, Rowi)

this feature is in the official Twitter App too, just gotta dig for it

Doe's any off these apps let you see who favorited one of your tweets? with the official Twitter app, I get a notification, but can't see it in the app or desktop website.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa