Carbon for WP7 (and WebOS) to be discontinued

lycosman

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I just spotted this conversation between Carbon developer and some other guy on Twitter and it turns out that Carbon is going Android only. Thought you guys would like to know.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Always sucks to lose support of an app/developer. Luckily good Twitter apps are not in short supply on WP. rowi being my personal favorite.

ilsonfan

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It's not all doom and gloom though. On Monday they tweeted the following:

"Hey devs, we need a hand, you in Dubai? Do C# and love Windows Phone? We're rewriting the app and need capable devs on board. Want in?"

dot1ne

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, there's a lot more into that. We had setbacks with our code base, and a bit of complications here & there that we're trying to resolve thus our frustration. Based on our code base and the performance of the current app(we have been criticized for the performance on a few occasions including reviews of Nokia Lumia 900 and HTC Titan 2 both on The Verge website and we really need to step it up and produce a better performing app.

With WP8 days approaching it would be a better decision to start over with WP8 and Win8 since the team has changed too.

We're still looking at ways that we could tackle this. We should have something to announce in a bit.

lycosman

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
That's good news, dot1ne. I have complained myself about the performance issues with Carbon, even though I think it's the best client out there in both functionality and looks, and gladly paid for it. It's good to know that you're just waiting for WP8 to get it going again rather than giving up in favor of other platforms.

dropqube

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, there's a lot more into that. We had setbacks with our code base, and a bit of complications here & there that we're trying to resolve thus our frustration. Based on our code base and the performance of the current app(we have been criticized for the performance on a few occasions including reviews of Nokia Lumia 900 and HTC Titan 2 both on The Verge website and we really need to step it up and produce a better performing app.

With WP8 days approaching it would be a better decision to start over with WP8 and Win8 since the team has changed too.

We're still looking at ways that we could tackle this. We should have something to announce in a bit.
If you pull the app from WP7 Carbon is officially dead for me.

Seriously - you have been promising an update for ages. Still waiting for it.

Meanwhile rowi, mehdoh and even twabbit have surpassed Carbon in terms of usability and speed by FAR.
If they manage to get fast code running you can do it too.

If you decide on dropping WP7.x support I can't be an advocate for CarbonWP any longer. I was really REALLY in favor of your app because of its interface - but dropping the support now because you can't get your code together is just a huge disappointment.

When CarbonWP came out, I gladly paid for your app without even testing it before.
I hope you are happy with that money because you almost fixed NOTHING for that and now you even plan on pulling it altogether.
I, and I'm sure a lot of other users, are not going to fall for that for a second time.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You guys are scum. You give devs a bad name. You admit your app is sucks and yet you don't have the common decency to remove the app from the marketplace. You KNOW you're not supporting the app anymore.

I hope you guys do come out with a new twitter app for WP8. I will be sure to google it and leave a review at every site that mentions your app with this review.

DO NOT SUPPORT THESE DEVS! THEY WILL THROW IN THE TOWEL AND STOP SUPPORTING THE APP WITHOUT A MOMENTS NOTICE!

Damn, it's actually a pretty darn good app. WTH. With push notifications and more retweeting abilities, I'd even put it above Plume, which I didn't think was possible. Oh well, my negative review has just been posted on the windows marketplace.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I normally don't mind paying for apps. I think hard working devs deserve the pay. But when crap like this happens, it makes me want to get on the "all apps should be free" wagon.
Why I dont buy apps anymore.
And I don't even want the two bucks back. I could careless about that. But when you visit the marketplace, you see the app have decent review [hopefully lower thanks to me] and in the description saying "push coming + other new features", it just seems disingenuous. /rant

I really hope WPC will do an article on this, maybe we can get some official answers for these devs.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If support is being discontinued, they really should update the information on the app in the store.

But leave it there in case someone really wants to keep using it and they have to reset their phone for some reason.

I'm disappointed since it was my Twitter app of choice. I've been going back and forth between Gleek and Rowi now. Each have their strong points and weak points.

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I normally don't mind paying for apps. I think hard working devs deserve the pay. But when crap like this happens, it makes me want to get on the "all apps should be free" wagon.

And I don't even want the two bucks back. I could careless about that. But when you visit the marketplace, you see the app have decent review [hopefully lower thanks to me] and in the description saying "push coming + other new features", it just seems disingenuous. /rant

I really hope WPC will do an article on this, maybe we can get some official answers for these devs.

I don't really understand your position. if the app is in the marketplace and it works what's the big deal? It's quite different from an app in the market place that's broken.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The app is in the marketplace promising "new features". It works but doesn't have push and some other features that a lot of other twitter apps have. Push was said to be something that's coming in the next update. Well, there's not going to be a next update.

Also, let's say twitter changes something to their API, which they do quite often, and the app stops working. What happens.
I don't really understand your position. if the app is in the marketplace and it works what's the big deal? It's quite different from an app in the market place that's broken.

justcurious#WN

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
This is a developer to avoid, as they abandoned their webOS apps in a similar manner (promising updates then cancelling the apps). Glad I avoided them on WP and Android.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I read the reviews on the marketplace and the WPC review. And saw high praise. I should have checked the forums too.
This is a developer to avoid, as they abandoned their webOS apps in a similar manner (promising updates then cancelling the apps). Glad I avoided them on WP and Android.

TheNerdlyKnight

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
it's a very disappointing move from them, however after seeing the updates never come and the continued delays with Android these guys are losing my support.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss