Navigon app now charging $30.00 for maps???

SteveF101

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the Navigon app for a couple of months now. When I first purchased it to save disk space I only download my state. I am planning a trip in a few weeks that is out of state so wanted to download that state.

There was a recent update in the last week that now forces you to use something called Freshmaps that requires you to purchase it ($30.00!!!!) before you can download any states. WTH??? A map that was free just last week now costs $30.00?? This app cost $50.00 and now requires an additional $30.00 purchase to be able to use it. You can just about buy a dedicated GPS device with free lifetime maps for that much.

Surely this cannot be legal to have to buy two apps to get the first one to work without telling you until AFTER you purchase it.

When I bought the app it advertised it as having up to date maps for the entire USA at no additional charge, it has this at the end of the Market place info -

-NAVTEQ map material for all of USA

Anyone else run into this? Any recourse for those of us who did buy this?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Are you sure? I just tested it and I was able to add a new state without getting any prompts to buy anything new, just downloaded the new map. Are you hitting the Map Update button? I just ticked the map I wanted and added it no problem.

SteveF101

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure? I just tested it and I was able to add a new state without getting any prompts to buy anything new, just downloaded the new map. Are you hitting the Map Update button? I just ticked the map I wanted and added it no problem.
Yep, that was it, user error on my part. After ticking the box for the states I wanted to add, I did press the Map Update. I had assumed that it would update the maps with my selections, not update the maps with new ones. Once I pressed apply instead of map update it worked fine. The black helicopters conspiratorist in me is suspicious that this was by design. :).

Now I have to decide if this update feature is worth it to buy now, it goes up to $45 at the end of the month, grrr....

mr-mac

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
hang on, you aint the only one miffed about this.

I am sure when I bought Navigon in marketplace (and why I paid so much for it) it said always have the latest Navigon maps with you wherever you go...

Now it's changed so I have to buy another app so I can have up to date maps for 2 years.

surely saying always have the latest maps infers you have access to the latest maps as they come out or you won't always have the latest maps??? I feel Navigon have been totally misleading in the description of the original app and feel I have been conned by the misleading description.... It does not always have the latest navigon mapps at all, you get map when you buy it which is now well out of date :(

I think everyone who bought it on strength of original description should have access to free maps or at least be given their first 2years from now free of charge (though that doesn't really cover the descriotion of app they sold me).

it would be great is wpcentral has access to original marketplace or navigon release so they can check what I am saying is correct or not (sure it went on to mention access to latest maps as they come out but it's been a while so could be wrong on this part). if I am correct I think wpcentral should follow up on this for the customers who bought this app in good faith.

Anyone else remember this???? anyone else thinking the same? sure it was advertised like that....

thanks

john

SteveF101

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you are correct, I remember thinking when I bought it, $50.00 ouch! but at least it comes with current lifetime maps. I did notice one thing though, from what I gathered from the release notes for the update, that if you uninstall your current map and then re-download it, you will get the latest map from the Navtech (?) site so it sounds like for the Freshmap app purchase all you are really getting is a one step update for all your installed maps, one of the reasons I decided against getting it. Even if I am wrong the current up to date maps should last me easily a year or more before the lack of updates might become an issue. A year is a LONG time in the software world, who know what GPS apps will be available soon for free, Nokia drive maybe? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss