Why can't MS combine Nokia/Bing Maps, Drive, Commute into one single app?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Like the Maps app on iOS and the Google Maps app on Android devices? Makes for a much more streamlined experience. That way you don't have to switch to a different app after searching for something in Maps just because you want turn-by-turn navigation. Thoughts?

lonbraj

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Aren't they doing this in Windows Phone 8? Boy, I'm disappointed if they don't. Since they are implementing offline maps, having one mapa data for Nokia Maps and another for Nokia Drive doesn't make any sense. In Lumia 920 and 820 publicity pictures we can see Nokia Drive tile pinned but not Nokia Maps, I thought it was replacing Maps and Commute all in one app. Nokia still uses old Skydrive tile so who knows.

About the updates, I don't like to mention other OS but Android recently implemented Smart App Updates (marketing name for Delta Update) which ensure that only the parts of an application that have changed will be downloaded when you next update it, saving on time, bandwidth, and battery when updating apps, I hope MSFT has something similar to WP8.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I like combined apps like this, and sometimes I prefer split apps... just depends on how complicated it makes the app. I don't mind if the apps use API hooks to open each other and switch back and forth if that's easier than having everything in one place and forcing an overwhelming interface.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
They're not combined?! That's not elegant...

You've made 10 posts and not a single one of them constructive. Pray tell me ... how many different apps do you have to use on an iPhone because Apple didn't bother putting functionality into theirs? And then you're screwed because the content in one app can't easily be accessed or used in others? That doesn't sound elegant either... oh wait, that's because it isn't.

On the other hand, the Nokia situation is different... they chose simplicity and made it easy to switch between the modes. That actually IS elegant.

Oh yeah, and you won't get lost or have to worry about melted bridges and misnamed cities.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I thought they had, or at least Nokia had.
If you go back and watch the demo's, it shows how the way you hold the phone changes which app you are looking at?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I made a short thread about this in the WP8 General Forums. I believe this is something that they are hiding from the public currently.

Nokia has shown off only the separate apps, which will be available on 7.8 phones etc, but I believe Microsoft will have upped the ante on Bing Maps. I imagine a realistic combination of 3D turn by turn, POIs, Augmented reality etc, incorporated into the standard maps application.

Now there is a pretty good chance that something like this is the case because Microsoft has previously stated that mapping would be improved, and Nokia's tech will be the backbone. I practically expect it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12