The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-01-2012 10:04 AM
65 123
tools
    To those that use WhatsApp, why do you use WhatsApp? If it's for business, I can understand but for personal I'd use Kik Messenger. I've paid a lot of attention to the updates of WhatsApp, and everyone continues to tell about how terrible it is.

As for the quality of the apps, as I don't have a WP device I can't really say for sure an opinion on that. But a lot can be said in the fact that a lot of the apps on iOS are stupid, and not really meaningful (Fart apps, lighter apps, etc). I wouldn't be surprised that, a lot of the quality apps are waiting for a user base so they know their app will be used.

I just think that, in time as Windows Phone grows so will it's market place. A lot of the early adapters had it much worse, with only 100s to thousands of apps now there is 100,000+ apps. If you buy into WP now, or wait until WP8... You don't have it as bad as the early adapters. Just like the iPhone went through and just like Android went through.

If you're coming from another OS, and you want your specific apps then why even think about switching? If you've invested time and money on apps, and in the respective ecosystem why look for a new phone?

I didn't spend much time with apps over the last 2 years that I've had my Droid Incredible. So I'm not missing out on much when and if I do switch to WP. I've never bought and app, and I've never found an app that I couldn't "live" without.

If apps mean THAT much, don't switch.
    09-27-2012 04:58 PM
    To those that use WhatsApp, why do you use WhatsApp? If it's for business, I can understand but for personal I'd use Kik Messenger.
    well... its kind of like facebook, all your friends use it, then u end up not having much choice especially when they created a group in it (my case... )
    09-27-2012 05:02 PM
    well... its kind of like facebook, all your friends use it, then u end up not having much choice especially when they created a group in it (my case... )
    I wish my friends used WhatsApp or Kik. A lot of my friends stick to iMessage, or just use Facebook Messenger. I've only come to know a few people that use cross platform messengers. But understandable that you and your friends have invested in WhatsApp.
    09-27-2012 05:09 PM
    I kind of understand the thread creator. When evaluating my new phone (I wanted to go away from android), I saw it as drawback that WP didn't have the audible app back then because I used it almost daily and there was not other simple way to listen to Audible audiobooks. I was lucky, though, that I soon heard that it's being developed, and this pushed me closer to my decision to give WP a chance.
    I don't have many more "must have" - apps, though. I don't game much and don't get the point of fantasy sports apps. I don't mind not having an app for this and that homepage as I can use the browser to get there, and I wouldn't use banking apps on my phone even if somebody forced me to do so, and all this makes it easy for me to switch the OS.
    I do have some apps on my WP, though, some of them are really neat, others are meh. That few "meh" apps (one of them being the app of a popular free newspaper, the ANdroid version has just a few more features in it) might annoy me sometimes, but simply not enough to drive me away from the OS, because: At the end of the day, it was the OS that gave me the big push towards WP and one single app which gave me a little last push.

And before anyone asks me why I didn't just get a dumbphone: Yes, I could do al lot of things that I do on WP on dumbphone as well (I read and wrote emails on my dumbhone, I listened to music on it, I surfed the internet on a dumbphone ;)), but I can do them much better on a smartphone. Especially on a WP because from the very beginning, that OS just worked so intuitively for me.

Oh, regarding the question "Why am I using Whatsapp"?

Because every smartphoneowner I know is using it, it's a common messaging platform. That's why I have it. Some people I know might (or might not) use platform-bound messaging services. But, to be honest, most friends use SMS/MMS as most of my friends don't even have a smartphone ;) I 'm not interested in non-cross-platform messengers as they would lock me in into a certain OS too much, and I wouldn't like that feeling.
    09-27-2012 11:07 PM
    And before anyone asks me why I didn't just get a dumbphone: Yes, I could do al lot of things that I do on WP on dumbphone as well (I read and wrote emails on my dumbhone, I listened to music on it, I surfed the internet on a dumbphone ;)), but I can do them much better on a smartphone. Especially on a WP because from the very beginning, that OS just worked so intuitively for me.
    This is exactly what draws me to WP. I find that yes Android is easy to use, but WP has a life of it's own that just makes it that much easier. The core features of WP, should be a major player in WP in buying a WP not apps.

Oh, regarding the question "Why am I using Whatsapp"?
    Because every smartphoneowner I know is using it, it's a common messaging platform. That's why I have it. Some people I know might (or might not) use platform-bound messaging services. But, to be honest, most friends use SMS/MMS as most of my friends don't even have a smartphone ;) I 'm not interested in non-cross-platform messengers as they would lock me in into a certain OS too much, and I wouldn't like that feeling.
    The few people that I know that use cross platform messengers stick with Kik Messenger. Most of my friends also use SMS/MMS more then not, and some use iMessage. Everyone around here except for a few have iPhone's so not many people see the point in bothering with a cross platform app.
    09-27-2012 11:58 PM
    This is exactly what draws me to WP. I find that yes Android is easy to use, but WP has a life of it's own that just makes it that much easier. The core features of WP, should be a major player in WP in buying a WP not apps.

The few people that I know that use cross platform messengers stick with Kik Messenger. Most of my friends also use SMS/MMS more then not, and some use iMessage. Everyone around here except for a few have iPhone's so not many people see the point in bothering with a cross platform app.
    Umm, I dont understand, I have tried to read about instagram which seems to be a very popular Android and iOS app, but isnt it kinda like built in to WP7.5?

For the thread poster, I would like to help you find similar apps that you have used with iOS. There are many apps that are just named differently but does the exact same thing and usually has the beatiful Met.. Windows 8 style ;)

But please I would like a real answer about the Instagram, is it another social media app like facebook or is it just to post pictures into different social medias?

EDIT: There seems to be an unofficial Instagram app called Instacam and Instacam+ so might want to check them out also :)
    Last edited by Aykazu; 09-28-2012 at 04:31 AM. Reason: I found something.
    09-28-2012 04:28 AM
    I'm glad that I don't use apps. I think WP in it's raw form, does a lot more then any other device to date. The core features sell phones, it's sad that it's become a market place just for apps.

I want a WP for what it can do out of the box, not what I have to fill it with as a consumer. I'm not into the trendy apps (Instragram, Draw Something), and I'm not missing out on any sports related apps, or banking apps. I especially wouldn't game on a phone either. I love the simplicity, and the integration and how WP just works.

So, I'd have to say... that, I'm definitely glad I don't use apps so I can enjoy a device that I would want to own and use.
    This. ^^

I'm not the biggest app user. My primary concern is the phone UI. Things like threads, live tiles, app linking, camera shortcut, hubs, social network integration, and aesthetics are what make a smartphone. Anyone can make a crappy looking app and release it on any given platform.

For those who need a gazillion apps, maybe keep an eye on Wp8, but for now, stick with what you've got.
    InfectedPhreak and hc_1540 like this.
    09-28-2012 04:54 AM
    Umm, I dont understand, I have tried to read about instagram which seems to be a very popular Android and iOS app, but isnt it kinda like built in to WP7.5?

For the thread poster, I would like to help you find similar apps that you have used with iOS. There are many apps that are just named differently but does the exact same thing and usually has the beatiful Met.. Windows 8 style ;)

But please I would like a real answer about the Instagram, is it another social media app like facebook or is it just to post pictures into different social medias?

EDIT: There seems to be an unofficial Instagram app called Instacam and Instacam+ so might want to check them out also :)
    Instagram is an app that you use to take pictures with, and then add filters to "customize" your picture. Then from there, it allows you to upload the edited pictures to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and I believe one more thing. It also is it's own social network, you can rate and comment on pictures and follow / be followed like Twitter.

I'm not the biggest app user. My primary concern is the phone UI. Things like threads, live tiles, app linking, camera shortcut, hubs, social network integration, and aesthetics are what make a smartphone. Anyone can make a crappy looking app and release it on any given platform.

For those who need a gazillion apps, maybe keep an eye on Wp8, but for now, stick with what you've got.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one!
    09-28-2012 07:03 AM
    How long did it take us to get Skype? Is it still beta?
    Netflix
    Pandora
    Yahoo Fantasy Football
    March Madness streaming
    LogMeIn
    streaming Amazon Cloud music
    Can we officially stream SkyDrive music?

WP7 core functionality does none of these perfectly reasonable things. Even things like Overdrive Library app doesn't support WMA audiobooks.

I'm used to no app support, coming from WebOS. Saying you don't miss the apps because you've never had them is ridiculous. I wish we had every one of those I listed. Don't need a gazillion apps, just need the good ones that everyone else has. I could totally see someone balking at WP7 due to apps.
    09-28-2012 01:33 PM
    I wish we had every one of those I listed.
    Do a search for Netflix. You never know...
    10-01-2012 05:43 AM
    Instacam, plus or not, doesn't allow posting to Instagram. They don't allow third party apps to post.

Most people around here don't need anything that's not available for WP7, until its available.

First party app support sucks, so I can see how third party support is lagging. The Me tile should have been updated months ago, but it's still buggy. The Facebook app is buggy, haven't been updated. People are going to say "well Apollo is going to give devs deeper access.." that was said with mango.
    10-01-2012 06:16 AM
    Try SkyMusic. Works great.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    10-01-2012 06:48 AM
    Netflix is in the marketplace
    Pandora - I use nokia music
    Yahoo Fantasy Football - Search Fantasy Football in the marketplace. It's not official and it's not pretty, but I found a few apps that let me change my roster, view states, and view matchups. Directly from my phone. I know a official app would be better.
    March Madness streaming - It's October. [Hopefully they'll have it available by MM time] I had an official android app for this during MM this year. Buffered more than it played. It was an horrible expierence.

I have a list of apps I miss too. I'm with ya. And people suggesting going to get a different phone is just plain idiotic. Unless they want to buy it and ship it to me. But I think the apps are coming.
    How long did it take us to get Skype? Is it still beta?
    Netflix
    Pandora
    Yahoo Fantasy Football
    March Madness streaming
    LogMeIn
    streaming Amazon Cloud music

WP7 core functionality does none of these perfectly reasonable things. Even things like Overdrive Library app doesn't support WMA audiobooks.

I'm used to no app support, coming from WebOS. Saying you don't miss the apps because you've never had them is ridiculous. I wish we had every one of those I listed. Don't need a gazillion apps, just need the good ones that everyone else has. I could totally see someone balking at WP7 due to apps.
    10-01-2012 09:20 AM
    There wasn't a WP7 March Madness app last year, nor WebOS app the year before. That year, HP was even a sponsor of the tournament. Amazing.
    10-01-2012 09:44 AM
    Hadn't even heard of Pandora before WP users started requesting it. Last.FM works a treat for me as it saves my stations/history when I switch between the Xbox and WP device.
    10-01-2012 10:04 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD