Come on Windows Phone..we need more apps!

sniffs

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
When is WP going to get these apps?! I mean come on, apps make or break a platform and this platform has been around for 2 years now!

1. Angry Birds(all variations), Words with Friends, Wheres my Water?, TrippleTown,
2. News apps(Feedly, Flipboard, FLUD, Pocket, Pulse)
3. Browsers(Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc)

As of right now, I find myself flicking through the marketplace and all I see are crap immitation apps.

Nothing is pulling me in wanting me to take my Lumia out constantly and play with it.. it sits on my desk more often than I use it.

Besides offering money, knocking on developers doors.. what is MS doing about this? Is it really that difficult to port an app to WP? Are code changes from 7, to 7.8 to 8 so drastic that it's deterring devs?

can anyone recommend to me any good news apps? perhaps ones that pull data from google reader?

Last edited:

ambroShuS

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
When is WP going to get these apps?! I mean come on, apps make or break a platform and this platform has been around for 2 years now!

1. Angry Birds(all variations), Words with Friends, Wheres my Water?, TrippleTown,
2. News apps(Feedly, Flipboard, FLUD, Pocket, Pulse)
3. Browsers(Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc)

As of right now, I find myself flicking through the marketplace and all I see are crap immitation apps.

Nothing is pulling me in wanting me to take my Lumia out constantly and play with it.. it sits on my desk more often than I use it.

Besides offering money, knocking on developers doors.. what is MS doing about this? Is it really that difficult to port an app to WP? Are code changes from 7, to 7.8 to 8 so drastic that it's deterring devs?
I do know that Pulse is no longer available in the US marketplace, but for some reason I didn't use it as much as I did on iOS. As for web browsers, IE is the only one allowed right now because thats how MSFT wants it.

WP7 app store ecosystem is treated like a 3rd world country by most of the lucrative developers. Either completely ignored or we wait for attention, they make an app, we give the app a chance, they ignore the app, then wonder why no one is using their app anymore and discontinue development. I'm sure their feelings are "we may lose some money by not having a WP7 app, but the ios and android base is so big that we'd rather disappoint a thousand than upset millions." In other words, WP7 isn't good for business right now.

ambroShuS

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
also, I hear that most of those "imitation apps" are pretty good, the only problem is that ios has a cult following (Android is well on its way as well) of people who like to show off why their ios things are SOOO much better. Those same people, for the most part, love feeling as though they are setting a "trend". So they basically make apps trendy, even the crappy ones and as a result. Imagine an environment of individuals that always want to follow a trend and be a part of what's cool. As a result everyone else wants to see what the big fuss is about, when truthfully there shouldn't have been a big fuss at all. IMO

sniffs

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the imitation apps are that they aren't made by the devs and only hurt their image if it's not as good as the actual app.

Me personally, I'd rather have apps made by the devs than imitations.. it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside lol..

ambroShuS

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
lol!!! it does give the feeling of having a "top of the line" app. But those developers dont seem to be losing out on anything and probably won't be until WP picks up some more market share.

justreason

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
This is the only problem with windows 8.. The hardware is good but more than worrying about getting a 8x or a 920.. Now that I ditched android and ios.. Where are those essential apps.. And the trendy apps are needed as well to expose the WP8..

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

ambroShuS

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
This is the only problem with windows 8.. The hardware is good but more than worrying about getting a 8x or a 920.. Now that I ditched android and ios.. Where are those essential apps.. And the trendy apps are needed as well to expose the WP8..

agreed

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The good news is that the development environment for WP8 is very similar to WinRT. So if devs do make apps for WinRT, then it will be very inexpensive for them to port it over to WP. And WinRT has something that WP never had; leverage.

WinRT is available on its own, and also on any computer running full blown Windows 8.

That's hundreds of millions of potential users. Definitely something any serious app developer needs to pay attention to.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In many cases, you would be better off contacting the specific developers and requesting those apps.

For instance, I'd like Opera Mini/Mobile too. I actually submitted a request for a Windows Phone app to Opera, and I mentioned that Windows Mobile had an Opera browser, so why not create one for Windows Phone?

ambroShuS

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
In many cases, you would be better off contacting the specific developers and requesting those apps.

+1.

Microsoft can't throw money at every single developer. We need to take some of the responcibility ourselves.

I've emailed loads of developers about their apps/games, and its very rare not to get some sort of feedback back from them.

justreason

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Will do.. The games will come.. I swear an halo game would make this phone very popular.. But I will email instagram, pinterest, discover, square(heard intuit is good) etc..

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
This is something I had in my mind for a long time...that the devs are torn between whether to make the app Metr..Modern style or without it...

Sent from my RaZr on JB!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think you should definitely speak to the devs who are skipping WP. If they get enough requests, it would be financially sound decision to write an app for WP.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte