Can you suggest apps for me? New to WP8

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Counters or Data Sense

My girlfriend has a Lumia 800 and she uses the Nokia Counters app to track her phone usage, but I can't seem to find the Counters app anywhere in the marketplace. Is it being updated or am I doing something wrong? It just doesn't show up in the Nokia collection or anything.

I've heard that Data Sense might only show up when your network supports it - is this true or can I enable it somewhere?

Games

What are some good games I can try out? I like simple games like Bejewelled or Angry birds - something to pass the time. I also like stuff with leaderboards and puzzles too. Any suggestions?

Music

My phone seems to have come with 2 music apps - one Music and Video and one Nokia Music. Which is better? I've seen that the Music and Video one can change the lockscreen image to whatever you're listening to, but the Nokia one doesn't seem to do this?

Smartglass

I was looking forward to trying this - I've seen that you have to have the phones on the same wifi or a data signal and have to be signed in on your xbox for this to work. I've tried it all and it just tries to sign in and then says "Can't Sign in" and keeps doing this over and over. Any help here?

Weather App

My girlfriend has been using the Nokia Weather App (the one that's in the collection from the Weather Channel) but it doesn't seem to update the live tile to show the weather of your current location. It will show the weather on predefined locations you set only. Is there a setting I'm missing here to make it do this or is there another app (preferably free) that would do this. Ideally I'd love to see the weather on my lockscreen without having to even unlock the phone!

Steam app?

I use Steam a lot to game and chat to friends etc, what with Skype coming to WP8 (soon I hope) and able to run in the background, will other apps be able to do this too? I can't find a Steam app at the moment so is there any news if there will be one soon?

Bible App

I'm coming from Android and I used to have a great app called Daily Bible. I could search multiple Bible versions and even get passages read to me so I could do other things while listening. Another feature I really liked was I could download podcasts from people like Ravi Zacharias and listen to them at any time. What's the best WP8 Bible app that could do most if not all of these things.

I have set up multimedia apps like Netflix, IMDB and Metrotube as I read those were good. Some of them dont seem to use live tiles which is irritating though.

Any other recommended apps at all for me to check out?

Davidmuful

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Data sense is carrier dependant.

Games - Try Wordament. Also, bejewelled and angry birds are there if you want them. There are many fun indy games - but you have to look.

Music - Nokia music is a streaming service, the other is the built in app. Nokia music cannot change the lockscreen.

Smartglass - hasn't been updated to support windows phone 8 yet (even though the app was only released a few days ago, it should have launched wp8 compatible). On your xbox you need to go into settings and enable smartglass app to connect.

Weather - There are no apps that change the lockscreen yet, there hasn't been enough time. I guarantee they will come, (HTC has one that does it, but that's no good to you). In the meantime try WeatherFlow, great livetile on that.

Steam - chat apps can run in the background to deliver messages and stuff, sure, but there isn't a steam one. Gabe Newell doesn't have much love for Microsoft at the moment so don't expect one anytime soon.

Other than that, it depends what you like to do. There are plenty of good apps on windows phone (I like to read articles so I use nextgen reader and Weave, and for Lists I love Clearer) but it just depends on what you're after.

Longshot2012

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure I haven't used SmartGlass to it's full potential, but I got my Lumia 920 yesterday, installed smartglass last night and was able to control my xbox and get into WMC to play a movie from WMC computer. Worked pretty good!

elvisff

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Counters - isn't showing up on WP8 yet. Not sure why, could just be in the process of updating the app. Several other popular apps aren't showing either, may be in the process of updating them to wp8... not sure.

Games - Currently playing Extraction, angry birds star wars, Dalton, let's golf 2, Life, wordament, Zombies (on the phone), and pretty much any game from Hexage. There are a lot of good games out there, not a ton of RPGs.

Music - Nokia music works a lot like Pandora, except that it is commercial less and allows you do download music for offline play. The Music and Video app is through Microsoft. If you subscribe to xbox music (zune), which I recommend doing, it gives you access to xbox music on your phone, xbox (if you have live) and your Windows 8 devices too. I've subscribed to the service (zune) since the original Zune and it is the biggest thing that has kept me with WP.

Smartglass - Make sure it is enabled in your settings on your xbox too or it won't connect. Connects through wifi.

Weather - The weather channel app, weather bug, and also Gismeteo are good apps. Also the USA today app will show the weather on the live tile.

Steam app - I don't use steam to chat, but there are a couple apps that claim you can use chat on steam with... Steam Center Pro (0.99 and free) and Steam Friends pro (0.99). May be others, but not sure. As for an official Steam app, I haven't heard of anything yet. But who knows.

Bible - no clue...

Other apps....Audible, Baconit, Battery Level for WP8, Crackle, any of the Nokia apps, Facebook touch, flashlight -x , free ringtones, Livescape, Mp3tube, Supertube, thechive, wpcentral (ofcourse), wmpoweruser, zombies, run!, Plex, crackle, engadget, rowi, geekbits, Freda +, and tons of others depending on interest... A lot of people like pinspiration, photofunia...

Hope this helps :lol:

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Here are some of my favorites:

- Tasks. An awesome to-do app.
- Mehdoh. Great Twitter client. Rowi comes 2nd for me.
- Weather from Microsoft. The live tiles work great and it has all the common features.
- Level from Microsoft. It has helped me a lot of times while working.
- 4th & Major. Foursquare client. One of the best looking apps out there and it's better than the official app.
- Metro Tube. Great YouTube app.
- SkyDrive. WP8 has it built in but you will need for managing folders and other things.
- Fhotoroom. Excellent app for photo filters.
- Fancy. Official app.
- Foodspotting. Official app.
- Speed Test. There are a few with similar names, look the one with most ratings.

I hope this little list helps you out.

Microsoft has other apps like Translator, Unit Converter, World Clock and others. Look them up.

palfor03

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Download Little Acorns, a fun platformer for a dollar.

Fable Coin Golf and Hydro Thunder are good games too.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving AlphaJaxx. It's Scrabble/Words with Friends, but is integrated with Xbox Live and it's performance is amazing on Windows Phone compared to WwF.

If you frequent Torrent sites, you'll need to grab either BitTorrent or uTorrent Remote. Baconit if you Reddit and grab Amazing Weather for your weather needs.

My favorite Twitter client at the moment is MeTweets.

Enjoy Windows Phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb