Concerned about Facebook app

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I saw Lumia 920 I said to myself I NEED TO GET THIS! I've been using iPhone 4S for a year and I'm all ready to make a switch as soon as L920 is available in my region.

BUT!

Everyday I'm seeing more and more people complain about the terrible Facebook and Twitter app. Featureless and with sucky push notifications. I'm a HEAVY user of both these networks so the so-so built in integration won't do. These are my two most-used apps on the iPhone 4S and they are just incredibly well developed, extremely fast and extremely smooth with INSTANT push notifications. So I have to ask, just how bad is the Facebook app on Windows Phone 8 and WHY is it bad? Is there any place where I can see a video of how it is?

Today Facebook and Twitter rolled out cool new updates for their apps on the iPhone and I just thought to myself, where the heck are the updates for Windows Phone? It's so, so awfully bad that on Twitter.com they list the app as a 'Windows Phone 7' app and not Windows Phone 8.

iJuan

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. I absolutely HATE Facebook and Twitter on WP8. Those apps are just terrible. So bad I might just return my Lumia 920 and go back to my iPhone. I have been using the mobile sites for these 2 social networks and that's just not cool. And the fact that there is no rotation lock is just flat out stupid.
I just may end up returning this device

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Facebook on the windows phone really isn't as bad as you're fearing. Notifications for the native integration and Facebook app aren't terribly slow, and there's pretty good functionality.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Facebook on the windows phone really isn't as bad as you're fearing. Notifications for the native integration and Facebook app aren't terribly slow, and there's pretty good functionality.
What's the refresh time on the 'Me' live tile? When I had a Mango based phone the Me live tile was VERY slow in showing new notifications from Twitter and FB

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Facebook does not suck on Windows Phone. It just is not app reliant like on iOS. Instead the functionality is baked in and works VERY well.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, Facebook themselves write the iOS & Android versions. They don't bother with WP.

As such Microsoft have written the app, and their knowledge of Facebook & the usage of the APIs is always going to limit the WP version.

I'm not a heavy FB user, but i find everything i need works. Its very easy to post pictures direct from WP. The app does the important stuff, and the notifications seem quicker than the email notifications.

Have you guys added the FB login in the settings -> accounts section, or are you just using the app?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Why? Because this platform is literally brand new. Give it a week. :)
Facebook sucked in Wp7; argument? WP7 is brand new.
Facebook sucked in WP7.5; argument? WP7.5 is brand new
Facebook sucks in WP8; argument? WP8 is brand new.

I have a feeling the 'brand new' thing has become sort of a trend of sorts here. Who cares if its brand new. Windows Phone itself is 2 years old. Does Windows Phone 7 have a fully functional Twitter and Facebook apps? No they don't. And didn't Joe Belfiore himself said at launch that Facebook and Twitter apps are now fully updated for WP8? Does that guy in all honesty use these apps and thinks they're working as they should?

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I saw Lumia 920 I said to myself I NEED TO GET THIS! I've been using iPhone 4S for a year and I'm all ready to make a switch as soon as L920 is available in my region.

BUT!

Everyday I'm seeing more and more people complain about the terrible Facebook and Twitter app. Featureless and with sucky push notifications. I'm a HEAVY user of both these networks so the so-so built in integration won't do. These are my two most-used apps on the iPhone 4S and they are just incredibly well developed, extremely fast and extremely smooth with INSTANT push notifications. So I have to ask, just how bad is the Facebook app on Windows Phone 8 and WHY is it bad? Is there any place where I can see a video of how it is?

Today Facebook and Twitter rolled out cool new updates for their apps on the iPhone and I just thought to myself, where the heck are the updates for Windows Phone? It's so, so awfully bad that on Twitter.com they list the app as a 'Windows Phone 7' app and not Windows Phone 8.

I've been on Windows Phone for almost 2 years now and nothing really has changed with these apps. They suck! We've complained a lot about these and just a few patches have been received and nothing major. I feel soo sad and bad when I hear Facebook apps on iOS and Android receive cool features (just like what they had yesterday) and there's no mention of Windows Phone not that we'll even receive it at a later date; it's like we don't even exist. I've hoped and hoped for the better but still nothing, you'll understand if you are a heavy user on these apps. So I agree with you that these apps suck but you can still make the switch to the L920. Windows Phone has other cool features aside the apps although we need the apps but with WP8, I pray a lot of things change. Our apps need to be redesigned for Power users.

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree that the Facebook app sucks. It's damn slow, buggy and always a few generations behind. And it crashes at least once every day (considering I would open it 3 or 4 times a day).

But I also think Facebook integration on the OS level (contacts, messages, news updates, pictures...) Windows Phone kicks iOS and Android asses big times.

Fortunately I don't need all the features so the built-in WP functionality is enough for me :)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Facebook sucked in Wp7; argument? WP7 is brand new.
Facebook sucked in WP7.5; argument? WP7.5 is brand new
Facebook sucks in WP8; argument? WP8 is brand new.

I have a feeling the 'brand new' thing has become sort of a trend of sorts here. Who cares if its brand new. Windows Phone itself is 2 years old. Does Windows Phone 7 have a fully functional Twitter and Facebook apps? No they don't. And didn't Joe Belfiore himself said at launch that Facebook and Twitter apps are now fully updated for WP8? Does that guy in all honesty use these apps and thinks they're working as they should?

Fact is, WP8 is BRAND new, from the kernel and bootloader upwards. Very few apps on the marketplace (sorry, Windows Phone Store :p) have received a WP8 update at this point.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
OK I get it, it's brand new. So what? The Facebook app is already updated for Windows Phone 8 so why is it still a train wreck?

Have you even used it? Have you rebooted recently? Mine is fast and has instant notifications.

I don't know how you can expect a Microsoft written 3rd party app, to be the same as the Facebook written app on iOS/Android. Facebook have huge resources dedicated to their apps. To Microsoft its just another app.

I'm sure like most online systems, 3rd party developers have limited access to the system. Surely rather than moaning on here, why not go on the facebook website, and going into the help stuff, and leave feedback, moaning about the "train wreck" Microsoft app, and asking for a 3rd party one. If all the users of the Microsoft app did that, maybe they'd take note.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I think MS needs a new conductor to get this app running smoothly before there are any more users dumping wp8, for now I'm just using the browser site.

Boggy79

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've never had an issue with the Facebook app on 7.5 other than it can take time to load pictures. Even then it's still loads faster than my ipod touch.There are a few features I'd like to be added but I don't miss them so much that I'd change to iOS or Android. It's up to Facebook to improve their app and until the WP8 userbase increases to a decent size they're not going to bother.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The only real problem I had with the Facebook ap on WP7.X was the performance. It FLIES on WP8 and also doesn't load from scratch each time. It could use sole work, but it is far from the disaster people make it out to be.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Windows Phone pretty much since WP7 came out. I use a combination of the integrated Facebook features and the Facebook app. I agree that there is room for improvement on both. BTW, I don't like the photo banner at the top of the Facebook app. Takes away valuable screen real estate that can be used for the News Feed.

So what did they add to the iOS and Android Facebook app? Just wondering.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally I find the FB integration into the OS to be perfectly capable. I never find myself looking for features that aren't there, though I admit I'm not a heavy user of the platform. And seriously guys, you need instant notification of when someone does something on Facebook?? It takes 10, 15 minutes maybe for my Me tile to update that I have a notification. If that's not fast enough for you... I think you need to rethink what's truly important in life. (Hint, Facebook ain't it ;).

As far as Twitter goes, Rowi is a fantastic Twitter app. Give it a shot.

JMS9129

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The WP8 Facebook app is much improved over wp7.5 only takes maybe 2-3 sec total to completely load with new updates. I'm noticing any real lag anywhere in the wp8 fb app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05