Concerned about Facebook app

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
And seriously guys, you need instant notification of when someone does something on Facebook?? It takes 10, 15 minutes maybe for my Me tile to update that I have a notification. If that's not fast enough for you... I think you need to rethink what's truly important in life. (Hint, Facebook ain't it ;).

As far as Twitter goes, Rowi is a fantastic Twitter app. Give it a shot.
If you'll notice, the ME tile will not show you all notifications. It won't show you if someone has responded to your wall post in a group or a page. This is just 1 of many things it won't show, and neither will the built in integration.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Guys...guys, when we talk about a power app for power users, it doesn't just stop at the app being fast and loading within 2-3 seconds. It's also about the app delivering all that you want and can do if you were using the PC version. Compare our facebook app to that of iOS/android....the appearance of these apps just kills ours. Just look at how small and tiny our inline pictures (pictures within a post/article) appear, it's more of a thumbnail. Look at all the features and nice looks those apps deliver to users, ours on WP is no where near it. Talking of twitter for Android/iOS, it now has the new inline,discover and all the goodies the website provides with no need to log into your pc. Our WP apps are not like that or near there....something must be done cuz these are the most general and used apps anywhere and having them so bad can make WP loose users. People work with these apps nowadays so Microsoft better do something....these apps SUCK on WP!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I just came to WP from Android on Evo. I like the WP facebook much better, never did care for the droid version, ended up always using the web page. And the way it works with my people and me tiles is great to me. Different strokes I guess.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I don’t know about some of you guys, but I rather use thePeople for any social networking activities. I know the People Hub doesn’t giveyou the full functionality of Facebook and Twitter, but do you really need thefull functionality of both? Probably not. All you want to do is see what yourbuddies are doing and reply to any posts. Yeah, you don’t see the fullfunctions to do that. The People Hub works great if you haven’t given it a try.
I probably log into Facebook’s website about three times amonth. The same for Twitter. This tells you how good People Hub works.
I rather use the People Hub where I get both FB and Twitterfeeds under one umbrella than having to open two separate applications and having togo back and forth between the two.
So anyone who's not satisfied with WP has to offer, then goback to your old phone. I’m sure there’s plenty of people out there than willtake that WP off your hands.

God forbid you dont get a notification. You dont want to miss out on a "thanks" or "you're funny" response because it would be the end of the world for that person.

anon(2255)

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Lets not forget that the Facebook iPhone app sucked up until last month, and most people were just using the mobile site to do anything. The Android app STILL sucks (last night's major update just put in in-line ads) but apparently Facebook is making their engineers use the Android app until they rewrite it and get it done correctly. Honestly, the WP8 Facebook app isn't half bad, comparatively, but Facebook needs to write its OWN app, and not let Microsoft handle it.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
This looks like a couple of iTrolls tried spreading a rumor but got slapped down pretty good. Facebook is baked into the OS - you don't even actually need a Facebook app per se. Ditto Twitter.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If you think it's bad on WP8 (and I don't think it's that bad) don't try it on Android.... Holy smokes that thing is a slow POS. Especially if you consider the massive market share Android has over everybody else and it sucks so bad. I was never impressed with the iOS one either, but I have not used it since the GS3 launched... So far the WP8 app seems ok. Have not messed with Twitter yet.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, most people will still need the app. For instance in the Me tile, I am unable to 'like' any comments.... need the app for that, I'm sure there are other things. It's getting there though.

elibohnert

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Why does Facebook suck on this platform?!

In general most Windows Phone apps quality are about 70% lower then one for iOS or Android. And I'm not being biased at all. I have owned 2 iPhones and 4 Windows Phones.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The Facebook app is awful. Genuinely. It does not do a good job. Looks good, layout is nice, but notifications don't work properly. It's buggy and slow.

That's the app.

The built in Facebook integration on the phone is excellent and does most things you want to do. But the app really does suck.

Twitter isn't a problem. Rowi is pretty decent and they have an update on the way with more improvements.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Just use the built in functionality in WP, don't bother with apps. If you add your FB account to the phone the OS itself already does 90+% of what any OS Facebook app does, and does it a lot more elegantly.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was surprised at how well the integrated FB stuff in the people hub worked. I rarely ever use FB so I ended up turning it off but it seemed to work very well for every day stuff, I didn't even know there was a FB app.

Same goes for LinkedIn, it seemed to integrate very well into LinkedIn without any real issues.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I like the look of the Facebook app but I don't think it is showing all of the newsfeeds...seems to jump over a lot of them...kind of the way the Zune FB app did back when I used it.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Android, I thought the WP8 Facebook app was pretty good.

That may be because, as others mentioned, the Android Facebook app is holy **** awful.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Guys...guys, when we talk about a power app for power users...

First, I don't know what you think a power user is, but it's not a social network fiend. Generally (and with many other definitions that do not include what you seem to think), a power user is someone who writes operating system scripts and cares about every minute detail about the back end of how an operating system works and makes their life easier (or harder lol). Someone who writes 650 facebook wallposts a day is NOT a power user of any kind. As a software developer and network security analyst, that statement offends me.

Second, how is it Microsoft's fault that the public facebook API is limited? If you really were a power user you would understand that API's that are exposed to the public have limitations for stability, usability, security, and sometimes monetary reasons. The reason why the facebook integration and the facebook app are not as full featured as the ones on iOS and Android is because they use the public APIs (maybe Microsoft has a bit of a deal with facebook on additional functionality). If you really want a facebook app for Windows Phone stop chewing about it here, and take it to facebook dev teams through Twitter, Facebook and the company email/contact info. WP doesn't sell 8 million a month yet, make them realize that we are growing and that you want it.

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been a WP7 since launch day. I HATE the Facebook and Twitter apps. I used Carbon / Rowi for Twitter and I've used the mobile site for Facebook. They really need to be fixed. That being said, if you don't have to like comments, the Facebook integration into the OS is amazing.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As a software developer and network security analyst, that statement offends me.

As a web developer and database administrator, I think you're a bit off in your definition of a power user. Most power users don't care about system scripts or how an operating system works, only that they *do* work so that the power user can do their thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss