Best RSS reader for Windows Phone 8?

darionst

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Time to revisit this thread with Google Reader biting the dust in one week. I'm a NextGen Reader fan, but they went to Feedly as their backend, which does not support that niche browser Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is my browser at work and at home. So what if I want an RSS reader that has a backend that is also accessible from Internet Explorer?

Eric

You can use Feedly with every browser since last week :cool:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
my cursory search for a GR replacement is hitting roadblocks at every turn.

Won't use Feedly/Nextgen because it requires me to get a Google account....the very thing I'm trying to get away from.

Can't use Newsspot/NewsBlur because newsblue is making me wait in a virtual line just to get a f**king account.

I finally found a place called "The Old Reader" which takes FB sign in in lieu of Google account....but I know of no apps that work with it.....sigh.

skugg

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm yet to find a RSS reader that suits my needs.
- nice wide tile
- can add sources manually
- unread counter
- displays images on live tile
- refresh regularly without opening the app

Any suggestions?

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm yet to find a RSS reader that suits my needs.
- nice wide tile
- can add sources manually
- unread counter
- displays images on live tile
- refresh regularly without opening the app

Any suggestions?

That's exactly what I want as well. Could deal without the counter, but the rest is what I've been searching for.

skugg

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I've tried a couple of RSS reader my problems are the following:

- NextGen: no images, no multiple headlines (in fact I see no headlines nor count at all - no idea why), sync only when I open the app
- Weave: keeps showing images from months ago, has problems with certain RSS sources that are important to me
- Fuse: so far this has proven to be at least decent. it refreshes the live tile regularly, however no image support and displays only one headline. still not what I need, though

I'd need specific app names. I don't mind using my Google account, but I don't want to pay a monthly fee.

kang li

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Weave is generally good, but only problem to me is, I can't manually add any RSS feed URL to it. Can only choose pre-stored and search while results are limited.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't recommend newsspot enough, i use it with a newsblur account, and much prefer newsspot to the official newsblur app.

Newsblur seems ok, allows me to read my feeds on PC, WP & iOS. In the same way google reader did.

eMike

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Using Fuse and NextGen Reader for some time.
I am missing an option to change the font size on the tile. So large tile doesn't quite suit me, but middle one doesn't have enough space to keep full headlines.
wp_ss_20131012_0005_1.jpg

MaXi32

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think Collector is the best among others. IMO. One of the features that others can't do is the ability to add your own rss link.

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I installed Nextgen based on recommendations here but when it wanted a Gmail login I immediately uninstalled. Frack google. I'm not giving them any more info than I've already given. I'm going to try the other recommendations. Will report back.

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
SimpiRSS is a very good basic reader. One seemingly unique feature is audio read-back of articles which is nice for a commute situ and why I keep the app around. It doesn't seem to sync feeds to the Live Tiles...so that's something that could be improved.

I also use Nextgen which is feature rich and very fast. And I use Weave pretty much for most of my my news feed reading these days and like very much. And Weave's Live Tile pretty much leads the rss pack these days.

My criteria for feeds is to have features but to keep things simple. With many apps these days over-kill on features tends to over-kill the info input until you're numb from info over-load....and you just tune out...of the info and of the app. jmho

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
SimpiRSS is a very good basic reader. One seemingly unique feature is audio read-back of articles which is nice for a commute situ and why I keep the app around.
For the audio read back feature alone in downloading this right now! I drive a lot and would make my commute much more productive.

ViktorG

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Nextgen is not all that. It supports Tumblr and Insta but doesn't have functionality to save images knowing that ? Doesn't make sense!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nexgen was great back with Google Reader existed....it doesn't support The Old Reader so I'm done with it. Hey at least I got it for free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss