Missing apps are losing fans and hurting early adopters

Danny Steiger

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been looking forward to switching from the world of iphone to WP8 on a Lumia 920. I even convinced my ex-wife to switch as well. Got the hardware. LOVE it. But lack of some of the big names, especially ones that already had WP7 apps out is killing me. Worse than that, my ex-wife returned hers to AT&T and got the iphone 5.

Apps specifically missing and making it hard:

1. Nook. There is literally no way to read nook books on WP8. Not on the website, not with desktop version, nada. I thought MS just invested a bunch of money in B&N, what's the deal?
2. Spotify. I know there are alternatives out there, but this is an "ecosystem" that I'm really invested in, and don't feel like re-collecting all my music on Xbox Music.
3. Facebook. I know there's an app, but it's HORRIBLE. Having only the iOS version to compare this to, it's just not even in the same ballpark. The "Me" tile gets me updates from FB better than FB does.

My other gripe with WP8 (since I'm already whining, might as well continue) is IE10. I get that it's not MS's fault that sites are not recognizing it as a proper mobile browser, but on top of that something as simple as going "back" from one webpage to another will sometimes randomly dump me back to my home screen and out of IE10. Other times it works. And no forward button to be found anywhere.

Now before you flame me, hear me out... I like my WP8 phone. I want it to succeed. I'm going to stick with it. But I want to convince other people to go to it too. At this point I just can't do that. I can deal with small headaches of a fledgling OS. Non technophiles can't. I hate to use an apple slogan, but it really does have to "just work." I'm really hoping MS and other app creators can fix these situations, cause I think we desperately need this alternative to iOS and Android.

Here's hoping.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the reasl deal killer for me right now is no Tango. There is Skype preview, and I suppose that could work.....but I have noobs on other platforms who have Tango setup (by me) but no Skype. Also SKype on WM7.5 sucks.

Danny Steiger

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I don't do much video calling, but I felt confident that the few times I facetimed I could easily replace with Skype. But all that's out is the preview? Days after launch? I really want to love this phone. Right now I feel like I'm tolerating it.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Early adopters should understand what comes with being just that, an "early adapter".

Nook isn't here, so not sure what was expected when buying the device... That it would come with wp8? Same with Skype.

Spotify... What about it?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Every time I look at a yellow Lumia 920 I begin to salivate over its beauty. But then I use the awesome Facebook and Twitter app on my iPhone 4S and realise how terrible this experience would be on the Lumia.

Danny Steiger

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's a good and valid point. I've been at the forefront of mobile tech for a long time. I totally understand the caveat of being an early adopter. That being said, mobile operating systems are not exactly fledgling undertakings at this point. There's a certain level of expectation that comes, even with being an early adopter. Don't get me wrong, like I said, I want this platform to succeed. What really frustrates me is that WP7 apps weren't able to be ready to work on WP8. Yes, I understand the technological differences between the two, the architecture, etc, and I get that they were under the gun to deliver the OS on time, but not releasing the SDK earlier? Not converting existing WP8 apps? That's what really gets me. MS should have the clout to ensure some "essential" apps are there and ready for the masses. Facebook included. A basic Nook app would have been nice. It's a damn reading platform, how hard can that be (admittedly, I am not a programmer of any sorts, so maybe it's harder than it seems... but it's text. on pages. seriously). I'm super glad WP8 is gaining market share and popularity, but when it comes to people who are invested in an ecosystem and a way of doing things, you usually only have one shot to wow them and get them to switch. If they try switching and don't love it, good luck convincing them to try switching again in the future.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Same here. Every time I look at a yellow Lumia 920 I begin to salivate over its beauty. But then I use the awesome Facebook and Twitter app on my iPhone 4S and realise how terrible this experience would be on the Lumia.

For Twitter, the better clients on WP are rowi, Cowlick, and mehdoh (not sure if that one is updated for WP8 yet). I use Cowlick and love it. WAY better than any official Twitter client.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
For Twitter, the better clients on WP are rowi, Cowlick, and mehdoh (not sure if that one is updated for WP8 yet). I use Cowlick and love it. WAY better than any official Twitter client.
They're all paid. And with Twitter hunting down 3rd party clients, it's only a matter of time before all these go bust.

MattyBoy83

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I am sticking with Windows Phone, as I know that it will gain a much larger market share into 2013 than it does now.

Personally, I don't care for things like Instagram, but I do think it would be good for Microsoft to approach these companies to develop for the platform. Amazon has its eReader, isn't it up to B&N to develop their own?

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Nook- not available in Canada. Do not care.
Spotify- no available in Canada. Do not care.
Pandora- not available in Canada OR ANYWHERE OUTSIDE THE US. Nobody in the world cares.
Twitter official app is fine- I only have one account, is that the issue? I much prefer tweeting on my 920 (via app or Me tile) than tweeting on my 5th G iPod Touch.
I use Skype for making VoIP calls and it's worked perfectly for that. I'm not asking for more.
I'm also getting excellent battery life on my 920, absolutely destroys my One X which is perhaps the single most frustrating piece of tech I've ever owned (well, next to my N97 mini). Constant lost signals, need to restart at least every other day, shockingly bad battery life, unlocked but no APN combo will get me me connected with alt sim card- I will never get another Android phone. By comparison, the 920 has at least as good a camera, has never in more than a week now lost a signal (wifi or cell), and I have yet to find an app that's missing that I can't live without. The whole experience has been everything I hoped it would be. The major issue I have is not being able to watch videos I bought on xbox desktop but I'm assuming that'll come.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ok new gripe....any app that is not working on the 920 because the phone doesn't support WVGA.....W T F!?!?!?!?! Fix this bull****! The Nokia counters app in particular...ZERO excuse for not making this app work on the 920, it is devoid of any graphics!

what happened to the promise MS fools made on stage that 95% of WIndows 7 apps would be recompiled in the background to work in 8? How come it is all the top popular apps that are in that 5%? just stupid crap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans