Pricey Apps

Parktreeone

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to windows phone, upgraded to wp8 lumia 920 from iphone. I love my new phone, so impressed, love wp8 as well. Right cut to chase. Im seeing that wp8 apps cost a lot more than the ios or android equivalent and was surprised to see this not mentioned here. Still, great phone great os

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The main reason the apps are more expensive is that WP just hasn't got the numbers yet to support app development, so the prices you are seeing already have a lot of good will built in...

But truly, the prices are still far from expensive, right? Getting software for the price of a "big gulp" is actually ridiculously cheap. Think about it... at what price would you sell an app you spent 9 months developing?

Parktreeone

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ah the smaller market makes sense for more expensive apps. As for spending hours on creation, yeah, I agree. I have made programs and appreciate the time and effort that it takes. But does this thinking still apply to larger companies. One thing im loving in the store is the free trials of nearly everything, other os should take note!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ah the smaller market makes sense for more expensive apps. As for spending hours on creation, yeah, I agree. I have made programs and appreciate the time and effort that it takes. But does this thinking still apply to larger companies. One thing im loving in the store is the free trials of nearly everything, other os should take note!

Assuming an app was built with the intention of making a profit, shouldn't the size of the company be irrelevant? Exceptions are apps built by Microsoft, which exist primarily in the interest of promoting the platform, or companies like Amazon which view apps solely as a "store front" for selling other services (books, music, etc). I don't have any hard numbers, but it seems the overwhelming majority of apps currently available in the market are made by individuals, many of them are professionals, but most of them are hobbyists.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett