Video Editing Apps

andyrcarr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I've recently switched from an iPhone to a Lumia 920. On my iPhone I would use iMovie to edit some pretty good videos, as well as trimming down parts of videos to send to friends. Do you know of any apps that can help me do this on Windows Phone, that you would recommend?

Many Thanks

Andy

jetshine

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As far as I can tell there's not a SINGLE app in the 120,000 for editing or trimming videos. Opportunity anyone?

So annoying since iOS natively supports basic video editing, and there are apps for more advanced editing (like iMovie).

andyrcarr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's absolutely crazy... you would think that Nokia would of provided one to go along with their phones, seeing as they boast about how good the image stabilisation is. A video editing app you'd think would be near the top of the list.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking without success for this capability as well. Being able to quickly trim a video on my iPhone was a really handy feature.

GotHemi

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
This is ridiculous!!! Its blows my mind at the lack of apps wp8 has. Instagram and having a not real facebook app says it all. Its really sad that this is the case cause its a really great OS. Much better than android, but a smartphone is only as good as its apps. Also windows boasts about the 120,000 apps but most are useless and even some of the more popular apps are lacking quality. Id love a simple video editor and a app to EASILY tranfer filed from phone to pc and pc to phone.

kevynpm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have never thought of searching for this on my phone, but you're right. There aren't any. I suspect it may be due to a limitation in the APIs. But, Windows Phone 8 allows for native development in C++, so I suspect we'll be seeing apps with this capability coming soon.

Andrew Howe

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I may consider getting with some 3rd party developers and design the video editing software similar to the time timeline of movie maker 2.6 or 6.0 that was on xp or vista, i will design it, they will construct it and then release it under the howe.it.works author so please look out for it in the future... thank you

Last edited:

Brian McBride

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The holes in the WP8 app market are becoming pretty glaring. Last fall, I felt it was "ok" as I was an early adopter. Now I'm feeling rather foolish.

I believe that Microsoft should have hired a butload of awesome developers and stuck them into key companies to create software for WP8. Microsoft NEEDS to get the popular apps available AND running in a way the user experiences is as good as iOS.

So far, it is very hit and miss. Many apps utilize the Metro styling nicely and I've seen some ok use of live tiles and lockscreens. But, lets be real. The people hub is a great idea, and fails to support facebook functionality properly within it, so the FB app is needed. Which fails to deliver a great experience. Coming from iOS, the WP8 facebook app is really bad. Audible eats the phone battery ultra fast. Microsoft seems to release games on other platforms before WP8. All sorts of strange oddities.

And then, we find the huge holes. No video editing apps. Lack of key popular apps like Hulu, Pandora, Instagram, etc.. Worse, we keep talking about their absence. It's like iOS and the missing cut/paste at launch. It's just a mistake. These things need to be addressed soon. The WP8 hype is wearing off - now it's time to keep us users.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had an amusing/frustrating tweet session with @NokiaHelps about this issue of being able to trim or edit video on the phone...

Me: How can I trim/edit video I shoot on my Lumia 920?
NokiaCares: You may either download an app or edit the video on a computer
Me: So, you're saying try my phone or my computer
NokiaCares: You can do it on your phone if you have an application that can enable you to do so
Me: Okay, so which applications might that be? I searched the store and found zero
NokiaCares: Availability will depend on discretion of the app developer

Super helpful, right?

ibexi

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
This is ridiculous!!! Its blows my mind at the lack of apps wp8 has. Instagram and having a not real facebook app says it all. Its really sad that this is the case cause its a really great OS. Much better than android, but a smartphone is only as good as its apps. Also windows boasts about the 120,000 apps but most are useless and even some of the more popular apps are lacking quality. Id love a simple video editor and a app to EASILY tranfer filed from phone to pc and pc to phone.

Facebook is built into People plus there's a good app made by Microsoft Corporation.

You can get Instagram effects by tapping the photo, then go edit, then Creative Studio. Then share the new pic to put it on Facebook etc.

You can easily transfer a file from phone to pc or vice versa using Skydrive, which you already have an account with if you have a hotmail/live/outlook account - so you just need to download the Skydrive app to your phone and log in using that account. Pics and vids on Skydrive will then automatically appear under photos and other files - eg) Word/Powerpoint/Outlook ones will appear under Office as well as Skydrive making everything easily found.

Or if that's not your cup of tea, when you plug your phone into your computer it will pop up as a removable drive - just like plugging in a memory stick - so you can drag and drop files between your computer and phone.

As for apps I had a Lumia 800 for a year and just upgraded to a 920 - all the important apps are there and usually placed in a more useful way on the phone (eg - you can use Facebook IM through your texts or update your twitter and Facebook status simultaneously through "Me" on People), it does let itself down on the amount of apps, but it is growing very fast. You have to remember that Windows Phone (as we know it) is the newest phone OS so its going to be a bit behind, but what it lacks in apps it makes up for in usability. Plus, it's nice to be different and not just another person with an iPhone.

I think it's easy and I'm not the most techy of girls.

Sn00PiG

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Did you see the Burton Nokia app?
If you want to do a montage with it, then it records a video, and after that you can trim the video in the app!
So it can be done, the question is why don't we have an app that do just this with opened videos?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I got excited when I saw the Burton app, but their "Sequencer" feature has only the most tenuous link to video editing; it's really an extension of Cinemagraph. Sure, you're moving a little slider like you might in a video editing tool but in the context of this app you're working with clips that are measured in mere seconds and working with individual frames. I somehow hoped that I could re-purpose this app to just record and edit videos, but that is just not an option given how slow the scrubbing tool is and the need to mark each individual frame for inclusion. No one needed to see this to know that "it can be done". I mean, look at the built in tool on iOS.

The question still remains- how can Nokia market this line on the strength of their camera and not include such a basic feature? What's the point of having this great portable video recorder if you simply cannot do even the most basic editing of any kind without hooking it up to a computer?

darkriderdesign

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Here's an idea... SHUT UP... and build a Video Editing app! LOL

you talk as though there's "mobile" video editing apps falling out of the sky...

I agree with you that there is a lack of mobile video editing apps, on Windows Phone, at the same time the entire concept is sort of a Phallus concept for phone dorks... The only really successful video app on the iPhone is built into the iOS, Windows Mobile Classic had video editing apps.... YES predating the iPhone. Windows Phone 7-8 is pretty new, give it a chance for a developer to step up to the plate and build one...

Hey.... how about you?

grapemanca

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
If the Movie Maker experience for PC is any indication, don't hold your breath waiting for a video editing app from Microsoft. When they moved from Movie Maker 6 in Vista to Movie Maker Live, they were literally carpet bombed with complaints. Microsoft's response was... whatever. They were almost literally saying, "We know it has reduced functionality, but we're pretty sure all you need is a slideshow maker. But thanks for your input!" :shocked:

Now, I don't know a single person in my video editing enthusiast community who uses the new Movie Maker on their PC.

With that kind of track record, don't look to Microsoft to make a mobile video editor, let alone a mobile video editor that responds to user input.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
WP8 is locked down with how apps access videos, you're probably not going to see anything like this until a major update. You will be able to edit videos recorded in apps, but probably not edit already recorded videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb