Whatsapp sucks on WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok so stop using it and find an alternative. There are a few out there. Group me works the same way.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine is slow. When you receive a message, the phone will bleep and a notification will appear at the top but when you open whatsapp, the message doesn't come up for up to a minute, which kind of takes out the Instant in Instant Messaging

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok so stop using it and find an alternative. There are a few out there. Group me works the same way.
Huh? Do you even know what this app is? It's to contact OTHER people. You might find an alternative, but good luck forcing others to shift to it when their platform has a perfectly fine running version of the same app

darthtata85

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the US but i dont see a point in an app like this. Alot of UK carriers now push most contracts with unlimited or near unlimited text's. its adding a 3rd party app to something that imho isnt required.

MechanizedSunrise

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the US but i dont see a point in an app like this. Alot of UK carriers now push most contracts with unlimited or near unlimited text's. its adding a 3rd party app to something that imho isnt required.

It's to contact international friends. Not everyone uses facebook, Kik, Skype, etc. Whatsapp is a large part of texting for certain parts of the world, such as Hong Kong. If you aren't contacting friends abroad then you won't see a need. For some of us, having this ability to text with family or an old friend is a nice part of today's world. And no, we aren't convincing 40 people to change platforms just so they can contact us when their entire network is on Whatsapp.

The issue the OP brought up is specifically related to Whatsapp. Let's be honest and admit there are shortcomings to the WP version relative to iOS/Android.

GomzyRockz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So, GomzyRockz, back to my original question to you: I've not used WhatsApp on WP8 yet; why do you say the app sucks?

Having used Whatsapp extensively on Android, I can surely say that the app needs some TLC on the windows platform. Mainly, I get all the messages very late. Once I do, whatsapp takes me to the current message, but on the Android, I could read from where I left of. So say if I missed 30 messages, I have to start scrolling up, and it takes forever !!

Moreover, the interface is really not upto Windows standard. I mean the interface on ANdroid is terrific, we can change the wallpapers, attach videos(video option is there, but doesnt do anything for me on my L920)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't use the app, but was curious why it sucked so bad, but by the time I got part way through all of the bickering and personal attacks, I was to the point that I didn't want to finish reading to get to the end of the story. So I'm only left with one question. Since it sucks so bad, did someone bother to contact the developer with a list of suggestions (since he's the only one who can fix it or tell you if a fix is in the works)?

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the developer checks back once in a while and reads some of the reviews the app received.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
He may, he may not. The only way to be sure that he's getting the message is to reach out to him yourself. I promise, he won't bite you.

MechanizedSunrise

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the app, but was curious why it sucked so bad, but by the time I got part way through all of the bickering and personal attacks, I was to the point that I didn't want to finish reading to get to the end of the story. So I'm only left with one question. Since it sucks so bad, did someone bother to contact the developer with a list of suggestions (since he's the only one who can fix it or tell you if a fix is in the works)?

Of course. Whatsapp is fairly popular and a number of us users emailed or otherwise contacted the team.

The 2.8.2 build was supposed to address the stability problems, but it did not completely solve them from 2.8. It was a massive improvement from 2.8, which would just freeze and crash all over the place for no reason. One can only hope the stability issues will continue to be worked out in future builds. They are aware of the issues though.

The other niceties like sharing have been brought up and likely will be addressed in a future build. The inability to email or otherwise save conversations was supposedly due to the the nature by which WP7.5 stores app information. Whether this is something a WP8 build will be able to address has not been answered.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
he won't bite you

...hard. :)

Anyway, as near as I can tell - and I am really, truly interested - WhatsApp "sucks" on WP8 because it's slow. To me, response time does appear to be slower on the WP8 version than on the iPhone version (at least, what I remember of the iPhone version, AT&T took my iPhone as a trade-in) but I wouldn't say that it sucks. It's just slow. Am I missing something?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
yeah because SMS messaging = instant messaging? No, I think not, not even by a country mile.

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Whatsapp is very popular here in Asia along with Line. Though Line has gained more popularity these days because it's free on iOS and you don't have to give out your number to add your booty call to your friends list.

I am coming from a Blackberry device and Whatsapp is horrible on WP8. Here are the issues I currently have with it:

1. App hanged on me once last night, I've been on WP8 less than a week. Once it hanged, I tried reloading it by tapping the tile from the home screen and still no cigar. In the end I had to turn off and start my phone again for it to be solved.

2. Often times toast notifications are shown and keep coming, even when I swipe to the right to get rid of it, it just keeps coming back.

3. Sometimes when I have messages waiting and I open the app, the messages are not shown, so basically it looks like I have no new messages, and I have to back out of the app and then reload it for the new messages to show up.

Those are the current issues I have with the app, they have happened a few times with the exception of the app hang which has only happened once.

Not to mention the app is quite slow, but I'm not too worried as the app has not be made for WP8 yet, but I do expect them to make it a lot streamlined and easier to use with the new version.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it does suck. It is useable though for some reason. Normally bugs like that would piss me off but the OS is fluid enough that I don't mind backing out and opening it again. I hope they fix it though before it finally starts to bug me.

MechanizedSunrise

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Sweetness! Just after this little thread, Whatsapp released 2.8.8 today for WP7.5.

Email Conversations is finally available! Edit: Though in a test, it truncates an emailed conversation to the last 346 messages in the conversation...

This non-WP8 optimized update should show up shortly enough in the WP8 store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb