Whatsapp sucks on WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirited

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
WhatsApp works brilliantly on iOS and Android. Dunno what you've been using.

Agreed!!! I just sold my iPhone4s and purchased a Lumia 920. The hardware device is great but the OS/Apps are somehow disappointing...

As for Whatsapp, it obviously works much better on iOS than WP8.
1. On WP version, I can not choose not to download the pictures automatically.
2. On WP version, I can not broadcast messages.

These two are big drawbacks urgently need improvement.

As for slow response, not sure if it is an issue with the OS...or whatsapp...so...

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
WhatsApp works brilliantly on iOS and Android. Dunno what you've been using.
It works better than on Windows Phone but on Android there's disconnections from time to time, the app is not Holo-compliant, it drains your battery more than most apps, doesn't fully support Jelly Bean notifications, and has issues with delayed messages and throwing 4-5 messages at a time when it catches up.

My friends are all using it on iOS and Android and I'm the only one experiencing weird issues. I'm not denying Kik is better (although they have to sort out the notifications/live tile) but asking 50 friends to move over because I'm the only one with a sh*t Whatsapp makes zero sense.
This times a million.

jin8k

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
for those who have issue with realtime notification of the messages, try to soft reset the phone. i had some issues with whatsapp (like the new msg counter not refreshing, msgs not arriving in real time) and after a soft reset, these problems seemed to be gone now... somebody can confirm?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
1. On WP version, I can not choose not to download the pictures automatically.

You can.
Most guys on this forum who have jumped the ship haven't really done the home work.

Tap ...
Settings
Swipe either side, one of the screen has those switches.
A switch for automatically download pic on and off is there.
Mine are off.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
That would be awesome...more like iMessage which is on Mountain Lion as well as iPhone...
Wondering of there are any other alternatives?

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Yes there are.

Windows Live Messenger, soon to be Skype Messenger
AND
Facebook Messenger.
Both built in on WP and Windows 8

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the app, but was curious why it sucked so bad, but by the time I got part way through all of the bickering and personal attacks, I was to the point that I didn't want to finish reading to get to the end of the story. So I'm only left with one question. Since it sucks so bad, did someone bother to contact the developer with a list of suggestions (since he's the only one who can fix it or tell you if a fix is in the works)?

The dev doesn't care.

I have received three replies so far. Each clearly stating they don't have enough resources to support WP the way we like them to. But maybe in future.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Sweetness! Just after this little thread, Whatsapp released 2.8.8 today for WP7.5.

Email Conversations is finally available! Edit: Though in a test, it truncates an emailed conversation to the last 346 messages in the conversation...

This non-WP8 optimized update should show up shortly enough in the WP8 store.
Email convo is already there.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Also in the newer version, the UI is messed up if you are using light theme. In dark theme you can see an ugly grey box in chat bubble.

Spirited

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
no. there is option to choose not to save the picture to phone automatically. pictures are always automatically downloaded though not saved.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Running the WhatsApp client causes my phone to get hotter than playing games or using Netflix is, so the battery drain is crazy. I cannot turn off notifications either, the settings doesn't change anything for me.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
no. there is option to choose not to save the picture to phone automatically. pictures are always automatically downloaded though not saved.

Don't think that's true. Pictures aren't downloaded automatically. Pictures appear and then when you tap on it, it starts downloading them so that you can open a full size picture. This only occurs when you have switched off auto-save. Once you manually download picture, you can tap ... and then "save to phone".

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I tried this app the other day after an Android user friend of mine mentioned it. I have to say it's the crappiest app I've used yet on WP7 (I have a Lumia 900), and mostly for one reason, the fake streaming audio workaround. That this non-music app takes over the music player UI is unforgivable, and with the rigorous restrictions MS has for how an app is supposed to behave, I can't believe this is allowed.

That's in addition to it crashing, not being able to get notifications in lock screen, draining the battery, etc. Just a horrible app. I feel bad for anyone that is used to using this and moves to WP from Android or iOS. I hope Whatsapp can fix these issues.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
That this non-music app takes over the music player UI is unforgivable, and with the rigorous restrictions MS has for how an app is supposed to behave, I can't believe this is allowed.
Yeah that's an important question nobody has asked. Why does Microsoft allow one of the top paid apps from competing platforms to work in a way that degrades the user experience so much? You'd think Microsoft would put this app on priority status and assign somebody to make sure apps like this are implemented on WP perfectly.

adamski777

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
agree with MikeSo - the interference with the music player is super annoying, if I pause a track and then reply to a whatsapp message 5 mins later, pause place is lost. to be honest on the iphone its pretty cack as well - I once got a message 2 days after it was sent.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
agree with MikeSo - the interference with the music player is super annoying, if I pause a track and then reply to a whatsapp message 5 mins later, pause place is lost. to be honest on the iphone its pretty cack as well - I once got a message 2 days after it was sent.
I've never had anything that bad on Android or iOS. The most I've seen is a message that was delayed by a couple of minutes, and even that is rare.

Personally I think it might be due to the fact that I have very few people on my Whatsapp compared to other people since I only use Whatsapp to talk to friends and family overseas.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've never had anything that bad on Android or iOS. The most I've seen is a message that was delayed by a couple of minutes, and even that is rare.

Never had a problem with it on iOS. On WP it is absolutely atrocious. They should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a lame effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo