MLB At Bat for WP 8

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
At Bat should be a standard app on every OS, and pretty much is. We had it on WP last year, but it was very scaled down, and did not allow you to watch the games. It was also priced very expensive $14.99, and was free for Android and iOS devices. To have more features of the app on those devices you did have to be a paid MLB.TV subscriber. This option was not released for WP. We just got the middle finger.
There were 2 versions of At Bat for Android and iOS, the free one and the $15 app that allowed game audio.

Last year was the first year that Android had live video streaming that worked. I think 2011 also had TV, but it never ever ever worked. Last year, video mostly worked.

I was told in an email from MLB customer service that Windows Phone doesn't support their mobile streaming video format.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
There were 2 versions of At Bat for Android and iOS, the free one and the $15 app that allowed game audio.

Last year was the first year that Android had live video streaming that worked. I think 2011 also had TV, but it never ever ever worked. Last year, video mostly worked.

I was told in an email from MLB customer service that Windows Phone doesn't support their mobile streaming video format.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yes, there were two versions. You only had to pay to get audio and video if you were not a MLB.TV subscriber. If you were, you were supposed to download the Lite version, which was free, and then use your login for video, audio and full support. I used it on my Touchpad last year and the video worked great. Not sure about the previous year.

If you were not a MLB.TV subscriber and you wanted audio and the free game of the day, that did cost $15 for Android and iOS. It decreased in price as the year went on, and became free near or at the end of the regular season.

The lite version was free for everyone and gave you news, scores and stats amoung other things.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this is the one MEANIGNFUL app I care about. I care nothing for Instagram, or even Facebook or Twitter, as I'm not big on the "social networking" train. I don't care about Angry Birds or Temple Run or those silly games, as I am almost 10 years into my Xbox LIVE account, and THAT is where I do my major gaming. The occasional Skulls of the Shogun, Tiles Path, and Gun Bros. (the 3 games I am playing now) works fine for me, so whining for the popular titles (most of which I think are bad games) is never something you will see me doing.

However, baseball is about the most important thing there is for me, at least when talking about things that could be on a mobile platform. That, and music, which is on mobile devices in a plethora of ways. I totally wanted to get MLB.TV this season, but this has ruined any chance of that. As much as I would LIKE to place blame on someone, I cannot. I could blame Microsoft for not incentivizing app development or not supporting MLB's streaming format (if that claim is true). I could just-as-easily blame MLB for not developing the app when there is certainly a market (especially when it could be ported to Windows 8 and Windows RT, making for a VERY large audience), or I could blame them for having a goofy video streaming format in the first place.

This pretty much goes for every app, though. There is blame to be doled out to both sides. Microsoft hasn't sealed the deal with enough major apps, and developers haven't put in the effort to grow the platform well enough. The companies are dropping the ball (pun not intended) repeatedly with this matter, and the only ones getting hurt are the consumers. I can tell you this: If this app never comes to Windows Phone, MLB will never get my business. Windows Phone can go under, I can go back to Android, and I still won't give them my business.

That's one thing that makes me rather fanatical about this platform: I'll never own an Apple device. I'll never pay for apps on an Android device. I will, however, put my money behind the Windows Phone platform, because it is the only one that I actually ENJOY. Android wasn't fun for me, and I always felt like it was just there. I'm actually interested in the capabilities of my Lumia 920, and it's a great overall device.

Sorry for the rant, but this whole mess has me throwing a little bit of a fit, I guess, and I needed something else to keep me from doing my schoolwork.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I just got a newsletter with a link about next season's MLB.tv subscriptions. Part of it:

The At Bat 13 offer is available on supported iOS and Android devices only. MLB.TV Premium is not available on Windows Phone devices or Blackberry.
Watch Live Baseball Online, Stream Major League Baseball Games with MLB.TV | MLB.com: Subscriptions

So, at the very least, we know that an MLB.tv subscription won't include the Windows Phone version again, and if there even is an MLB At Bat app, it doesn't sound like it'll support streaming games.

Scott McKee

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I tried a couple times to get any reply or at least let MLB know there are billions (possible customers @ $14.99 a pop) out there that want access to the full MLB at Bat (2013). I also mentioned that they were holding up my purchase of a Nokia 920. I can't get the phone until I'm sure the app will be in the Marketplace. I think they are missing out on some serious cash.
Below is the BS reply I get:

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.
Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Phone 8 Compatibility Inquiry
Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response Via Email(Shane) - 01/29/2013 06:00 PM
Dear Scott,
Thank you for your e-mail. For the most up to date information regarding minimum requirements and supported devices for the At Bat application, please navigate to MLB.com At Bat | MLB.com: Mobile.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Customer Service toll-free at 866-306-5311.
Thank you againg for taking the time to write.
Sincerely,
MLB.com Customer Service

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the reply I got was something to the effect that my request would have to be handled by the billing department, or something stupid like that.

Rather than give up a high-quality device because of their laziness, I refused to give them my money. If you tell them "I can't get this phone because I want your service," they won't care. If you tell them "I got my phone anyway, and you won't get my money until I get your service on my phone," it means more. The first statement basically says you're picking a platform they support and you are giving them your money. The second statement says you're not going to get forced into what THEY want, and they're not going to get paid unless they listen to their customers.

I'm thinking I might send them another e-mail again shortly and remind them that I'm pretty pissed at their decision.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the reply I got was something to the effect that my request would have to be handled by the billing department, or something stupid like that.

Rather than give up a high-quality device because of their laziness, I refused to give them my money. If you tell them "I can't get this phone because I want your service," they won't care. If you tell them "I got my phone anyway, and you won't get my money until I get your service on my phone," it means more. The first statement basically says you're picking a platform they support and you are giving them your money. The second statement says you're not going to get forced into what THEY want, and they're not going to get paid unless they listen to their customers.

I'm thinking I might send them another e-mail again shortly and remind them that I'm pretty pissed at their decision.

MLB.tv is a business, not a charity. They will direct their resources to where they believe they will get the best ROI. Unfortunately, this does not include developing an app for WP8. They are under no obligation, as far as I know, to provide an app for WP8 users, or even for iOS or Android users for that matter. Why waste the money developing an app for the few (relative to Android/iOS) WP8 users that want it? Most, if not all, WP8 users that are also baseball fans knew that the chance of getting MLB At Bat 13 was slim to none. I don't think it's fair if you decide to go ahead and get the phone anyway and then complain about not having the app. Until MLB.tv develops the app, you will have to decide which is more important to you: WP8 or MLB At Bat 13.

My 2?

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re:streaming of games, i wonder if MLB are not supporting WP for video for the same reason the BBC isn't. The reason the BBC put on their website for lack of an iPlayer app is "Unfortunately, as the Windows Phone doesn't support HLS, Adobe Flash or Air, the formats we use for streaming videos, we can't make BBC iPlayer available on this phone at the moment."

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I tried a couple times to get any reply or at least let MLB know there are billions (possible customers @ $14.99 a pop) out there that want access to the full MLB at Bat (2013).[/I]
I'd like to have MLB for my Lumia, but your point is laughable.

MLB knows how many WP devices are out there, they know about what percentage of WP owners will buy their app and they know how much it will cost to produce.

MLB is a for profit, greedy cartel run by men in charge of their own little fiefdom in each franchise city. This group of warlords can smell a dollar from across the river. If there were money to be made from a WP version of the app, there'd be an app.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
MLB.tv is a business, not a charity. They will direct their resources to where they believe they will get the best ROI. Unfortunately, this does not include developing an app for WP8. They are under no obligation, as far as I know, to provide an app for WP8 users, or even for iOS or Android users for that matter. Why waste the money developing an app for the few (relative to Android/iOS) WP8 users that want it? Most, if not all, WP8 users that are also baseball fans knew that the chance of getting MLB At Bat 13 was slim to none. I don't think it's fair if you decide to go ahead and get the phone anyway and then complain about not having the app. Until MLB.tv develops the app, you will have to decide which is more important to you: WP8 or MLB At Bat 13.

My 2?

I completely disagree. First off, the development of a Windows Phone 8 app has little to do with the development of iOS and Android apps now, seeing as those apps are finished. If they had to actually stop development on those apps to create a Windows Phone app, you might have a point. That's not the case. The thing is, the GREATEST return on investment (and can people PLEASE use the English language, rather than making every term into an acronym?) is to branch out to all platforms possible. They already have the iOS and Android crowds done, so the next OBVIOUS step is Windows Phone. That could lead to Windows 8 and RT apps as well, where there are many users who could buy into the service (example: my grandma is looking at getting a Surface RT soon, and her husband could get MLB.TV and watch on that).

Also, what the **** is "fair," in this? It's not "fair," for me to want MLB to create an app? Since I chose Windows Phone, I am obligated to say "it's not fair for me to want apps," shut my mouth, and never let developers know that Windows Phone has a market?

As to which is more important: Windows Phone, every time. There is no single application on the planet that is more important than Windows Phone to me.

I keep having to say this, and it's becoming a bother: Why are people saying that it's wrong to want to advance the platform, whether it be by showing off the hardware and software or telling developers we want their stuff? I mean, it's not like I'm saying "MLB, I got a Windows Phone, give me your service for free!" I'm saying "I am on Windows Phone, and I am willing to pay for your service, if you are willing to offer it to me." That's how economic transactions work, I exchange currency for a good. I'm telling MLB that I will exchange currency for their service, and that I will not give them money to not give me the service. What's so wrong about that?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Also, what the **** is "fair," in this? It's not "fair," for me to want MLB to create an app? Since I chose Windows Phone, I am obligated to say "it's not fair for me to want apps," shut my mouth, and never let developers know that Windows Phone has a market?

Maybe "fair" wasn't the best choice of a word, but I do feel this line in an earlier post in this thread isn't fair to MLB: "Rather than give up a high-quality device because of their laziness, I refused to give them my money." It's not because of lack of resources or because they are lazy that they are not making the app. It's because they have calculated that there would not be enough users to make it worthwhile. If MLB thought there was a buck to be made by producing a WP8 app, they would do it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't really agree with the first half of the assessment. I doubt they've calculated anything, because I don't think that they've had any legitimate data TO calculate. That's not their fault. However, we DO know that at least a few people have TOLD them that they are interested, based on this thread. I'd bet those things don't ever get properly passed up the chain of command, but rather thrown away and given a canned non-response instead (that's what I got, along with at least one other person). I also don't believe that it's correct that there isn't money to be made because of the shared kernel between the platforms.

They could probably create an app for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 rather easily, or at least without a lot of additional effort for both platforms. That sort of has me believing that maybe WP doesn't support their streaming method like one person claims. All MLB would have to do is say that Microsoft's got limitations that they cannot reasonably work around in the platform, and I wouldn't have an issue.

That said, I still wouldn't buy MLB.TV because I want it to use on my phone, and whether it's their fault or not, if I can't use it on my phone, I don't have much use for it at all. I mean, I AM home a lot and could watch on my computer, but I mostly like the idea of watching it anywhere--I can follow along at home via GameDay or a box score just fine. IF the live radio works on Windows Phone's At-Bat app, I might pay the $20 or whatever for that.

Just a random note, there's the allegation that the next Xbox has multitasking capabilities built in. It'd be sweet to run the MLB GameDay Audio feed on the Xbox while playing a game of MLB 2K, if that was possible.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't really agree with the first half of the assessment. I doubt they've calculated anything, because I don't think that they've had any legitimate data TO calculate.
The data wouldn't be specific to WP8, but they know what percentage of users of other platforms bought the app, there is demographic data available for the average WP8 user, and there are people that make a living turning that info into a very good guesstimate of take rate.

It was me that posted about streaming incompatibility. That's what I was told in a support email. I don't know how accurate that info is.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, I will still buy MLB.TV. I live in a different state from where I grew up, and this is the only way I can watch my "home" team.

There was an At Bat app for WP last year. I hope at least they give us that one. I know it was not the full app, but if it could be done last year, it should be able to be done this year. Now, I won't buy the one for WP at $14.99. I will just use the free version they give to subscribers on Andorid/iOS on my tablet and ipod touch.

Maybe the person in charge of getting developers to create apps over at Microsoft is not a baseball fan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise