Looking for Good Expense Tracker

sdoca

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for an app to track my variable expenses. I don't want to enter my income and track recurring transactions in it like utilities, mortgage payment etc. What I do want is to set a budget amount for certain expense categories, be able to submit transactions against those categories and see how much I've got left. It would be nice if I could get a grand total of all categories as well (e.g. I may have overspent clothing, but underspent entertainment so overall am still on budget).

It doesn't have to be free and I hate ads in apps so don't want one where the only option is free with ads.

I've downloaded a few from the app store to see if they were what I am looking for, but so far no luck (Expense Tracker from Prash, My Expenses from Rosi Reddy, Expenses from AppSizzle). They were either too much or forced me to enter too much info (I don't want to be forced to add names/memos to my expense, just the category and the amount).

Any other suggestions?

Ilya Krupko

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I wrote some app some times ago - Monetal. Its free and very easy to use. I think you have to try it. Please write here what do you think about it. Thank you.

sdoca

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I tried out your suggestions, but the one wanted me to sign up with my email address and that's a no-go for me. The other wanted me to track my income and that's not what I want.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I highly suggest Toshl. It's amazing! The free version let's you set 1 budget only though. The paid version is a yearly subscription of $20 per year. I haven't bought the subscription yet but I am planning to since I love it so much. And if you calculate it, it's less that 2 bucks per month. And it can do so much.

sdoca

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I looked at Toshl as well and there's only a free version available. I didn't get past the install since it needs to know my location. I don't know why it needs that to track my expenses unless its for ads which I hate (I'd prefer to pay for the app than have ads). Also looking at screenshots, it appears to want to save my data to their website. I don't like that idea either.

All I want is an app to track my expenses agains a monthly allotment (i.e. budget amount). Nothing fancy...

sdoca

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Assuming you mean the app by Igor Kulman, that app requires you to register and login to use it. Also, based on the screenshots, there's no way to enter a budget amount for the expense categories.

Lumianator

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Its a lol late, but i believe budget buddy is the app you're looking for. Customized categories, SkyDrive backups, expenses monitoring, No registrations, plus a lot of other interesting features like being able to save images of receipts for future logging. Check it out.

sdoca

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I found what I was looking for in Budget Envelopes. With the latest update, it has the grand total of all my categories. I'm very pleased with it and recommend to others.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm using moBudget PRO. It has a free 15-day trial period and a lite free unlimited version as well. Allows me to keep track of my income and expenses both in cash and in transactions. Offers a pretty good expense planner and supports exporting monthly statistics. Worth having a look.

I'd be happy to answer your questions about the app although I am nothing how affiliated with the author. Just love the app and be happy to share some experience. Used a couple of similar apps before and seen numerous over at Android market but surprisingly so none was even close to both look and feel and experience to moBudget.

I am really surprised to see such a nice app, well done, devs! If you interested to know, I'd share the cons (there isn't that many of them, but they do exist).

Previous version had some glitches, some of those where pretty hot (like you were able to continue to try the app out for unlimited time). So I was that happy to use the app so that I've forgotten that I am still using a trial! )) Finally, I've got that when I installed an update. I am not a big fan of updates and the app didn't have any bad issues except for one that did not allow you to edit a transaction that was made some time ago. In other words, if not that issue, I'd probably used the app for a much longer period, so happy I was with its features.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6