Siri for Windows Phone 7 & 8 [$2.49]

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Siri for Windows Phone 7 & 8 [$5.99]

I just bought this turd and it has to be the single worst app in the store.

You can run down the list of "commands" nearly verbatim and it fails on half of them. And the ones it does do are so insanely poorly thought out that the developer should never write another piece of software. "Alex, set up a meeting at 9" is one of the example commands. At 9 what? AM? PM? OH WAIT, YOU CAN'T SPECIFY! Nor can you specify a date! The "Commands" section starts with "The following commands are just examples of what can be executed". Well, WHERE IS THE FULL LIST? Since half of the examples don't even work, how many different things should we try? Oh, and the developer is so brain-dead that he didn't disable the microphone button while the app is responding, so if you press the mic button too early the app records its own response and tries to respond to it! Argh, this is the worst app ever. If it was like a buck or two I wouldn't be raging, but at its price point I would not expect an app that performs less than 25% of what it advertises, which is definitely the case here.

The app is so bad that I'd even suggest that the OP is a shill.

-E

First of all. Calm down. Seriously.
Secondly, while your complaints could well be valid, they need to be formatted more constructively and as has been suggested, contact the developer. I've read they are VERY receptive to constructive feedback. However do not phrase it like you did here. Phrase it clearly, explaining the problems, and what you've tried to do to solve them. If you do phrase it to the dev like you did here, well I hope the dev ignores you. I know my response would be to mark it as junk mail if I received this as an email.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

First of all. Calm down. Seriously.
Secondly, while your complaints could well be valid, they need to be formatted more constructively and as has been suggested, contact the developer. I've read they are VERY receptive to constructive feedback. However do not phrase it like you did here. Phrase it clearly, explaining the problems, and what you've tried to do to solve them. If you do phrase it to the dev like you did here, well I hope the dev ignores you. I know my response would be to mark it as junk mail if I received this as an email.

Have you tried the app?

-E

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Actually, no. It works every time. I am saying "Alex, please set up a meeting at 9 p.m.".

Have you tried reinstalling it? They recommended me doing that at one time, since the Windows Phone store can be slow at detecting updates for apps.

AM! AM!!! You cant set a meeting for AM! I mean, if I bullet-pointed the problems with this app, the forum database server would run out of disk space. This is just one thing I've chosen as an example, since it's so easy for anyone to reproduce. At absolute best, this app is in a pre-alpha condition. It's a fool's errand to email the developer about what doesn't work, all he has to do is run through the list of commands in his own examples, and make minor variations on them Like trying to set a calendar entry on a specific date, or set an entry without any other people (it then randomly selects contacts to include), or try to issue more than 2 commands to the app (it stops responding and you have to go out and back in). The benefit of the doubt that I have given the developer is to not yet give an app review in the store, and I think that's a pretty big token that I've given, but that's all he gets. I stand by all my previous statements because it's a disservice to wpcentral readers to imply that this app is anything other than, to try to word it more PC,"not ready for release".

-E

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the app?

-E
He most likely hasn't, but that is not what matters. You could have approached it in a mature and professional manner. Many tried it and loved it.

Edit: By looking at your past posts in the WPCentral forums, I can conclude that you are (in general) a very negative-minded person. At least that's the impression you leave me with, after offending me. Nobody appreciates that kind of attitude, and nobody wants to listen to somebody who only has something to say if it's about something they hate.

Last edited:

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
really? LoL. I see apple users yelling to Siri all the time. Remind me this, play song that, where am I, directions to ...

My question wasn't about yelling at Siri. I asked what the heck are iPeople? Is it some new product Apple is selling?

And not sure what your point is anyway about seeing Apple users yelling at Siri. I barely see any Apple users using it. Most of them are texting or actually talking on the phone

Last edited:

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

He most likely hasn't, but that is not what matters. You could have approached it in a mature and professional manner. Many tried it and loved it.

Edit: By looking at your past posts in the WPCentral forums, I can conclude that you are (in general) a very negative-minded person. At least that's the impression you leave me with, after offending me. Nobody appreciates that kind of attitude, and nobody wants to listen to somebody who only has something to say if it's about something they hate.

I seriously doubt that many have tried it and loved it. I also don't see why suggesting that you might be a shill is that offensive. I can't see any other reason why anyone would defend this app to the extent that you do unless they have a tie to the developer. It's unfair to fellow wpcentral readers to not expose this app in a more realistic light. Even the entire title of this thread is misleading, this app is not Siri-like at all, and half of the time it does not even do what its app store description implies. And you are now doing some sort of armchair psychoanalysis which sure looks to me to be an attempt to water-down the premise that this app does not deliver half of what its app store description says.

-E

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Due to the substantial extent to which this app fails to deliver, coupled with its price and factoring in the "pimping" that seems to be taking place in this thread, my review of the app was quite passionate. Everything I have to say about it has been said and my involvement in the thread has now all-but devolved into personal attacks. I have nothing else to contribute to the thread, so I'll bow out.

-E

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried the app?

-E

No, I haven't used the app, but that doesn't matter. My concern was with your attitude. You were launching personal attacks at people (and yes I consider calling someone a shill a personal attack). You need to be more constructive in the way you format your arguments. Degenerating into personal attacks does not help your case and does not help the atmosphere of the WPCentral forums. I am an Ambassador here and part of my role is to help instil a positive attitude to the forums. Part of my work in that is calling out personal attacks and getting people to stop. I will admit, my approach may have been harsh here, and for that I will apologise, but my point still stands, please be more constructive and please do not respond to personal attacks

As per the rules here:
[WARN]• Personal Attacks - Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to neither criticize nor insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If you are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.
• Trolling - Do not post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to provoke users into responding in a negative way. Calling another member a troll is also a form of trolling.[/WARN].

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Calling someone a "shill" is not a personal attack. It may not be perceived in a positive light, but it certainly isn't personal in nature.

Care to post the dictionary meaning?

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

AM! AM!!! You cant set a meeting for AM! I mean, if I bullet-pointed the problems with this app, the forum database server would run out of disk space. This is just one thing I've chosen as an example, since it's so easy for anyone to reproduce. At absolute best, this app is in a pre-alpha condition. It's a fool's errand to email the developer about what doesn't work, all he has to do is run through the list of commands in his own examples, and make minor variations on them Like trying to set a calendar entry on a specific date, or set an entry without any other people (it then randomly selects contacts to include), or try to issue more than 2 commands to the app (it stops responding and you have to go out and back in). The benefit of the doubt that I have given the developer is to not yet give an app review in the store, and I think that's a pretty big token that I've given, but that's all he gets. I stand by all my previous statements because it's a disservice to wpcentral readers to imply that this app is anything other than, to try to word it more PC,"not ready for release".

-E

I also couldn't set a meeting for AM, but I could if I said 12 hours from now. I sent feedback to the developers and it automatically included the exception that was thrown when I tried to use AM. I think it may have something to do with that I have my system set in 24 hour time instead of 12 hour AM/PM time. IDK.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
RE: Siri for Windows Phone 7 & 8 [$5.99]

Ok I have to ask this before I consider a purchase. Is it a woman's voice or a man's?
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
RE: Siri for Windows Phone 7 & 8 [$5.99]

Oh ok then there isn't much of a problem. Does it joke around or have any jokes? Or would have a answer for " what are you wearing? ".
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Calling someone a "shill" is not a personal attack. It may not be perceived in a positive light, but it certainly isn't personal in nature.

Care to post the dictionary meaning?

As per AllWords (my online dictionary of choice):
[INFO]noun
  1. A person paid to endorse a product favourably, while pretending to be impartial.
  2. An accomplice at a confidence trick during an auction or gambling game.
Translations:
  • German: Lockvogel
    (trans-mid)
    (trans-bottom)
verb
  1. To promote as a fan or customer.
  2. To put under cover; to sheal.
Etymology: Origin uncertain; perhaps an abbreviation of the Yiddish shillaber. The word originally denoted a carnival worker who pretends to be a member of the audience in an attempt to elicit interest in an attraction[/INFO]

Compare this to the Wikipedia entry on Shill (only quoting some of it due to the length of it).
[INFO]A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that he has a close relationship with that person or organization.[/INFO]

Yes, I would still consider this a personal attack as this could be considered bullying as you are singling the person out and trying to isolate him as an employee of the company (I use the Wikipedia definition as it determines more real life usage of the word). To me, personal attacks are a form of bullying, which is something I will not stand for.

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Siri for Windows Phone 7 & 8 [$2.99]

They just reduced the app price to $2.99. That's a good choice, since I must admit I don't use the app that much anymore. It's cool and all, but they didn't add many new features over the last couple of updates. Let's hope that changes though. The past couple of updates have been new features only.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss