Siri for Windows Phone 7 & 8 [$2.49]

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Just found this. Not sure if it runs on Windows Phone 7 too It's available on Windows Phone 7 too, and works like a charm on my Lumia 920. It's quite expensive, but after looking at the screenshots I decided to give it a shot.

One thing that bothers me though is that only 2 Siri-like commands are available at the moment. The meeting one, and the alarm one (which are by the way also accessible from outside the app), which renders it useless if you want to use it for tasks on your phone. That said, New commands have just been added, and it seems that the app is indeed being updated quite well. More Siri-like commands arrive at quite a fast pace. They just added the first navigation-type commands. The general knowledge engine in it seems to work just great, and is worth the whole thing alone. I tried firing all kinds of insane scientific questions at it within the field of chemistry, physics, unit conversion and biology for school related work. This makes me suspect that it uses the same knowledge engine (Wolfram Alpha) as Siri does. You can talk to it apparently as well, as it responded to some of my general sentences or comments.

If you want to, I can add some screenshots of my queries so far.

As for speech recognition tech, I am not sure what technology is used. Might be the inbuilt Windows Phone 8 speech, or Google's speech API.

Edit
As per some users requests, I have uploaded a video where I review the app briefly, as shown below.

My video review

Get the app
Store link

Changelog
01-02-2013
- It seems the app is now runnable through a trial, although the price has increased to around $8.
- The app has just been updated. Some minor changes in the UI noticed, and some stability improvements to prevent crashes I had before.
- Seems they have added a way to submit feedback to the developers too, and a "review" button.
01-11-2013
- The critical Windows Phone 7 bug has now been fixed, and it is functional on WP7 too, a friend told me.
- New commands have been added, along with the first navigation-based command.
- It is now possible to delete alarms.
01-24-2013
- A crash that occured randomly has been fixed it seems.
- More than 200 new command examples have been added.
- The entire UI has been redesigned. It now looks stunning!
02-04-2013
- They fixed a few crashes according to the changelog that they now started implementing (yay).
- They improved the performance.
03-04-2013
- They reduced the pricing to $2.49. This is my last post, since the app is not that exciting to me anymore, and because they added changelogs in the app itself.

Last edited:

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Siri for Windows Phone

If you guys want to, I can make a YouTube video of it. I think I'll do that. Then I might be able to convince my e-buddies about its awesomeness too.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Yeah that might be just simply too much for an app like this. I think AskZiggy is pretty sweet, and with WP8 out now i think it will get even better. So AskZiggy + TellMe is enough for me right now I think

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

As per peoples request, I have added a video review. It's still being processed by YouTube, so it might take a few hours before it's available for viewing. I'll make yet another reply when it is.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Setting an appointment or an alarm doesn't work instead the app shuts down.
It just needs to ask people to reboot the phone so it functions correctly .
Now alarms and appointments work perfectly .

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Setting an appointment or an alarm doesn't work instead the app shuts down.

That works fine for me. Are you using Windows Phone 8? And what device (not that I think it would matter)?

When I create an alarm, it says "The alarm has been created". It also says that when I hit cancel though, and for some reason, it's not inside the "alarms" on my system. But they do ring. I can't delete them either once they are added.

Try and see if they have an update in store for later. I (as I said in the review) surely hope so, since it still has bugs and missing features.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

I updated my post check it out.

One thing I like if you hold the windows button and say alex do something , its really good.

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Seems pointless, its quicker just to type imo

I also mentioned that in the review, and I completely agree. Like I said in the video, it's more of a show-off tool and is rarely useful. I hope they will add a search field to just search for something given a text string instead. I think however that the original point was to mimic Siri's behavior, that so many people have become very happy with.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the video and info! I'll give this a shot. I'm not a huge fan of voice control; it's really tough to not come off as a complete tool when using it, but I have noticed more people using Siri lately, even in public. My mom uses it all the time for directions and such.

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the video and info! I'll give this a shot. I'm not a huge fan of voice control; it's really tough to not come off as a complete tool when using it, but I have noticed more people using Siri lately, even in public. My mom uses it all the time for directions and such.

Before you get it, here's a warning in regards to that statement. It does not (as of right now) seem to support directions. If you ask for directions, it uses Wolfram Alpha to do that or something, so the directions are not at all accurate. To be more exact, it's more like a "Here's the amount of miles from point A to B. Go find the directions yourself.".

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

Thank you. I probably wouldn't ever use it for something important like composing an email, or directions. I guess that's to say, I'd use it for trivial tasks only, as a novelty. Which is what I think of Siri and other voice integration.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
RE: Siri for Windows Phone

Sorry this is way to expensive... No reviews yet...and almost $5. The built in tellme works fine
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3