Task Manager and File Manager apps

chaitstv

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I recently shifted from iPhone4 to Nokia Lumia 920 and very new to this forum. Can anyone tell me if there is any app to check/kill/run background tasks on the phone available in the market.
Also some File management app to access/create/edit file libraries/file in the phone ( like is there a way to access downloaded attachment etc) like those in android/symbian.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
hold down the back button and a list of running apps will appear.

u need to manually go into each one and back out of them until it closes. Tedious, we know. Hopefully Microsoft is working on a fix for this.

chaitstv

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
ya...That is so not cool...at least it should give a "X" button on top of the apps to close it directly from the list. And any idea on the File manager apps ??

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
ya...That is so not cool...at least it should give a "X" button on top of the apps to close it directly from the list. And any idea on the File manager apps ??

Why is everyone so obsessed with closing these apps? All the apps in the "multitasking" queue are paused. They are not consuming resources unless they are apps like navigation that are permitted to run in the background. This isn't Android where ongoing apps destroy your battery.

chaitstv

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
then why is there an option to check the background apps if the apps are paused. I blocked few apps like 'Weather Channel' from running from the background and is there no way to 'unblock' it if you want them at a later time ???

takisrock

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
from my research, I haven't see any application.
but if or when someone build it, I suppose that we'll see only 5 folders that Microsoft allows us to see from pc too.
Time will show?

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
then why is there an option to check the background apps if the apps are paused. I blocked few apps like 'Weather Channel' from running from the background and is there no way to 'unblock' it if you want them at a later time ???
Because Microsoft provides ways for applications to run in the background (and this is not TRUE multitasking - they're allowed to wake themselves every so often, run whatever it is they need to do in the background, which is usually use your data connection to download data or check for updates, etc., and then go back to sleep). Which is why you have the option in settings to override these applications' abilities to run as background apps under settings.

You really don't need to be closing apps you're not using - apps that are set to run in the background will do so if you have them open *or you've got them on your start screen as a tile*. For full control, only allow the apps you want to run in the background to do so, and then no apps other than those will be running except the one you may be using. It's a difficult thing to get used to for those folks coming over from iOS or Android, where you almost HAD to control these things to keep your battery life decent, but on WP you really just don't need to worry about such a thing - the system handles background tasks in a much better fashion than those platforms.

As to file management, I've not seen any real issues with this other than the inability to delete PDFs from the phone, but you do get access to the filesystem (well, some of it) of the phone when you connect it to your computer. I guess you'd need to be more specific as to what you wanted to manage - there are no file manager apps in the store, because it's not something that Microsoft makes available to applications to access given the sandboxing of the OS.

chaitstv

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your explanation. Coming to the file manager apps it would help with its uses like allowing users to chose an app like 'open with' options for files with multiple apps etc. It would also be very handy to know where all the downloaded attachments are saved on the phone be it photos, text files, docs, zip files as they will eventually eat up a lot of memory.

mky4b11

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
ive been looking for a quick way to just clean out cache/memory from browsing and app installs etc. i am sure that is why a big chunk of my phone memory is being used from temp files/cache etc. i barely have 1.2~gig of app, but over 2gig of "other" when i check my memory usage.

using lumia 810.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
apps being held in the background consume ram. Why when ever a user expresses a desire for abasic feature or function for this stupid phone some MS or wp8 supporter or something comes on and tries to tell them ho wthey don't really want/need what they are asking for. Users are not stupid. They have a need/want.... it's usually for basic functionality most other phones have. Every time I check these forums someone is telling them, oh you don't need this or that. never again with wp, never. I only go tit because nokia did the hardware.

Because Microsoft provides ways for applications to run in the background (and this is not TRUE multitasking - they're allowed to wake themselves every so often, run whatever it is they need to do in the background, which is usually use your data connection to download data or check for updates, etc., and then go back to sleep). Which is why you have the option in settings to override these applications' abilities to run as background apps under settings.

You really don't need to be closing apps you're not using - apps that are set to run in the background will do so if you have them open *or you've got them on your start screen as a tile*. For full control, only allow the apps you want to run in the background to do so, and then no apps other than those will be running except the one you may be using. It's a difficult thing to get used to for those folks coming over from iOS or Android, where you almost HAD to control these things to keep your battery life decent, but on WP you really just don't need to worry about such a thing - the system handles background tasks in a much better fashion than those platforms.

As to file management, I've not seen any real issues with this other than the inability to delete PDFs from the phone, but you do get access to the filesystem (well, some of it) of the phone when you connect it to your computer. I guess you'd need to be more specific as to what you wanted to manage - there are no file manager apps in the store, because it's not something that Microsoft makes available to applications to access given the sandboxing of the OS.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
For File manager you can try Pocket FTP server.
it has local storage, Skydrive and Dropbox support, send any file by Bluetooth , copy files between storages. Access your stores files using any FTP client from computer or tablet.

CHPro

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
It may not consume battery life but I am sure it takes up ram. Am I wrong?

I find it hard to believe that they are not using battery as everything I have experienced says otherwise.

For Example, on a normal day by the time I go to bed I still have around 50% battery life. Yesterday, I decided to watch 10 minutes of a show on the netflix app at lunch and when I was done I stoped the show but did not close the netflix app and just hit the home screen. Within 3 hours I was completely drained of battery and had to plug it in the rest of the day. Now this morning, I have been at work for 1.5 hours and the phone is off the charger for 2, and I am already down to 70%.

I have found that when I run apps like that, I have to actually shut down my phone after each use or the battery drops like a rock, and this is not ok. I hate feeling like I can't use any apps or I have to shut down my phone to save battery for actual calls or texts that will come in, so what is the point of having a smart phone then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb