Do you want on windows phone 8, a file explorer/manager?

drunkard

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The problem isn't the file manager, like i said, it's the restrictions on file types. You should be able to download a pdf, plain and simple
I just downloaded a PDF and viewed in adobe reader on my windows phone. Just to be a dick, I downloaded it from my dropbox.

If you want a phone with root access, an unrestricted file system, and apps that can snoop into any other apps on the phone, get an android, they can easily be made to do these things.

Edit: Forgot to mention bringcast, which is a decent podcast app, and downloads my podcasts to the phone. It's not rocket science, guy.

drunkard

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
There is no Adobe Reader in WP8, you are on 7
Yep. Just to be a dick.

No seriously, your banging your head against a wall that Microsoft put up to keep people like you out.

Why did you buy a Windows Phone? Did you not realize the significant differences between it and other mobile OSes would present you with exactly the issues which you are now complaining about? Could you be any more out of touch with yourself?

My biggest gripe with your thread, is that you presume to suggest that EVERYONE wants what your asking for.

drunkard

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This isn't my thread

The majority do want what I'm asking for. Other than a vocal minority every poll mirrors my opinion, I have thanks and likes every time I log into this forum. I will be honest, if I knew I wouldn't be able to download a pdf to my phone or schedule podcast downloads I would not have bought my Lumia because I podcast constantly and I move pdf's regularly for work. I love the phone and I don't give a **** about instagram or even file managers for that matter, I just see it as a solution to one of my gripes with the platform.

Obviously M$ has issues with their hidden storage, the "other" data is a serious problem and is making peoples 8x's unusable. If M$ can't manage their data then a user should be able to manage their own, at least in a way that keeps their handset in a functional manner.

Sorry, I mistakenly assumed you were the OP, but regardless, there is not a broad enough base of windows phone users that partake in polls here or elsewhere, and so it would be disingenuous to suggest that a majority want a feature unless a customer survey that is broadly participated in is undertaken to determine such user demands. If you know of one, I would be interested to see it. Perhaps Microsoft has some customer feedback data that could shed light on the issue.

At least your honest about your own lack of research into the features that you now realize were more critical to you, bit which are not available on your phone.

If the 8X is really having these "other" storage issues, then that would suggest its related to something to do with that phone in particular, but I have no experience with WP8 as of yet, so I can't (should not) really speak to that.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
There is no Adobe Reader in WP8, you are on 7

Which means it will be out on 8 soon.

And there is a native PDF reader preloaded on the OS (same as Windows). I've used it multiple times for work. Works just fine.

At this point it seems like you're just building steam for the **** of it. So whatever your problem is, I don't care anymore. You just make up more **** to piss in the water hole anyways.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely. I want to know what exactly is in the "other" category that requires 3.7gb of my storage and how to remove it, if possible. The OS is only 1.7gb or so. What else is needed? Does it take 5gb to make this phone work?

BHFH

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I believe there should be a limited file manager, something that is restricted to the user directory only. There is no need to access c:\program files\ or the c:\windows directory or any other directories in the file system. Sure, what I just described is basically Skydrive but not everyone can afford plans with large quotas/always in areas with fast network coverage or want to use the cloud. We just want to set aside an area on the phone to store whatever we want, and download whatever attachment we want and attach whatever file we want.

drunkard

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe there should be a limited file manager, something that is restricted to the user directory only. There is no need to access c:\program files\ or the c:\windows directory or any other directories in the file system. Sure, what I just described is basically Skydrive but not everyone can afford plans with large quotas/always in areas with fast network coverage or want to use the cloud. We just want to set aside an area on the phone to store whatever we want, and download whatever attachment we want and attach whatever file we want.

When you put it that way, it doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
When you put it that way, it doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Its not a bad idea and I'm sure it will eventually appear in the OS. However there are some details they would need to overcome for security.

Either way, it missing is not the massive disaster some people in this thread seem to think it is.

drunkard

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I can certainly understand the point of view of someone like ToneZone, who really just wants to be able to email a damn PDF file. Not an end of the world problem, but aggravating enough to make him reconsider his purchase. That is not a good thing.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
you know what. your right, and every other smart phone on the planet is wrong. You have it figured out.

Adding features that allows/requires users to fiddle around with things they shouldn't need to fiddle with in the first place is a terrible idea. It's like adding a treadmill to every Sony television because their power cords are defective. Fix the problem, don't engineer around it.

As it is now, each app saves files in its own storage area that is isolated from every other app and shielded from direct user access. The only way to access such a file is by uploading a copy to a server, typically SkyDrive, and accessing it there. Unfortunately, not every app can upload files. Even if a particular app can upload files to SkyDrive, that might not always be appropriate. For example, many people have their own NAS servers at home and would appreciate being able to upload their files via shared folders, WebDAV or FTP. The inability to attach arbitrary files to e-mails is a similar problem. As it is now, every app must include these exact same features... over and over again, as part of every individual app. Not good.

These are what I perceive to be the main file related problems. I'm doubtful that a file explorer app is the best way to solve these though.

For anyone on this forum a file explorer app certainly wouldn't cause any problems, but for many of the more casual smartphone users it may. Such an app also has the potential to introduce security holes into the system.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
When did you become the authority on what "most people need" look at the poll, "most people" here at wpcentral who voted, do NOT agree with you. Are they all wrong? You sound like apple. You know what users want and need MORE than the users. Just because apple has had so MUCH success doesn’t mean Microsoft should model their phone so much like them. Take the good parts like the usability and simplicity and aesthetics (which they have already done) and improve on the draw backs. How the heck do you take away from Apples base by offering the same thing in a different color I know I am exaggerating the comparison here a bit but the point is APPLE DOES THAT. With every release of almost every device they have made. It was essentially the same thing in a different color or shinier package. That is ass backwards. Tell desktop users that they no longer need a file explorer to manipulate files. Look up the definition of OS (operating system). Then look up the definition of words like portable and mobile. The whole POINT is to be able to manipulate files. Not having a file manager is nothing more than and effort for Microsoft to MAKE money off of sky drive. It is that simple. If you want to usher in a new innovative way of thinking and how we look at and use smart phones then start with being PRACTICLE. Nokia n900 has a file manager and it doesn’t give you un-restricted access to the ENTIRE file system (unless you sudogainroot, but no gui for it) and it doesn’t create any MORE of a security issue than any other functionality of the phone. BUT!!!!!!. I am not going to explain the benefits of having it to you because 75% already expressed the need for it and you obviously have your mind made up. I think you should ask more people why they want it first. Then come up with some know it all idea about how important it is.

Last edited:

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe that when you graduate to a smart phone and start doing things like sending and receiving mms, email etc. and have gone past simply texting and making calls you are no longer a casual user. The smart phones havehad so much success because the user base has become more tech savvy. The entire world is becoming more tech savvy. Obviously, some more than others (my mom, for example doesn’t need a file manager). What security holes to yous uggest would come from a basic file manager? Not the entire file system as there is probably no need for most users to access that (but for us advanced users the option would be nice). Maybe your right, who needs to organize their data, Let's just let the app do it.

I will give you a few examples of MANY of how this is crippling the functionality of the phone.

32 GB's of storage on the phone.. Why not use it to manipulate, manage, and transport my word, excel, pdf, video, photo, files etc. When I go to the office app I see all of my documents thrown together in one big ol mess. Now the one Ineed for work is in there somewhere under all the drama so what should I do? Should I do a search? Perhaps, however I don’t remember the exact name of it so searching isn’t a good option. I could search for some terms that are in the document which may yield a good result but what if I need to see all documents relating to a particular subject in a nice organized manor? On my other phone Icould just go to my “work” folder that I created and grab what I need but that is not an option with wp8. That would be ideal. That would be productive. Scrolling through dozens of documents sorted in the most visually uninspiring way possible, is not productive.

I use a recorder app to take notes… I want to move those notes to my computer via mass usb, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, mms, or whatever medium I choose. How do I FIND it. Where in the world is it?

My producer emails me a song that he needs a chorus for. I open the email and later try to go back and start working on it… where the heck is IT! How do I work with it and respond to him with the song if I can’t FIND it.

I need to download files using a torrent client to my cell phone but I can’t because where the heck would the files go?
We should do away with all file managers, closets, file cabinets, refrigerator doors and shelves, dresser drawers, those little credit card holders in your wallet, yes let’s do away with that to. Forcing people to upload their important data via something as unstable, unreliable, potentially dreadfully slow, and unsecure, to some other random third party uneccesary remote MS idea called sky box which is equally is thedumbest thing I have ever heard of is a way to sucker the user into spending more money for storage space. It is a circuitous way to have to do some of themost basic things I need to do.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think MS will offer a file manager either but as far as the reasoning I think you are wrong. Have you ever used an app in wp8? It looks nice, pretty, and simplistic but the actually usability of it has a steep learning curve. I have been in I.T. and Networking for 7 years now. I stay up on the lattest tech and love new technology. I am fluent in all things MAC and Windows ( I have to be for my job), soem linux but not much. My point is I learn new software and technology very quickly and throughly for a living. Then I use those tehchnologies to be productive and help my company make money. With that being said I am no average user. EVEN I had a hard time with the functionaliy of windows phone 8. It took me a little over 4 weeks with moderate use to master it. Everything that glitters isn't gold and everything that looks simple is it. They could just as easily create a "manager hub" or "explorer" hub or call it what ever, with the same options to scroll left and right. Create, delete, and edit files and folders. Just like with the pictures hub. Your folders arent represented by actually folders but tiles with picture icons on them. It can be the same set up and that would not take away from the current simplicity OS concepts you speak of.

I doubt Microsoft will introduce a publicly accessible file system and a file explorer, no matter how many people ask for it. It appears completely at odds with current OS concepts. Simplicity, as you mentioned, is certainly one reason that stands against doing so.

Furthermore, a file explorer is a solution, but whether or not that solution actually solves the problems people are experiencing is an entirely different question. I'm guessing more often than not it wouldn't.

Finally, there are usually many possible solutions to any given problem, so focusing on a particular solution without having a clear understanding of what everyone's issues are usually isn't worthwhile. I feel that is what is being done here.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
If they color they cant see then could they change it back? or could the app orvide a safe guard against that kind of thing? why not just omit the colors that would make that possible. Like with the kids hub thingy. or an app that allows you reo revert back from changes you made after reboot if you dont like it? I am sure something can be done.

1. File manager access, especially through 3rd party apps is a security risk.

2. The UI uses the accent color for informative and actionable content. If given full control to the user, they may use a color too hard to see. While you may say that they should just let the user **** it up if they want, there is value to maintaining a certain level of control. Look what happens with Android, I've seen some horrible customizations on those phones.

At my company we've struggled with similar situations with our customers ability to customize colors in our product

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
1. File manager access, especially through 3rd party apps is a security risk.

2. The UI uses the accent color for informative and actionable content. If given full control to the user, they may use a color too hard to see. While you may say that they should just let the user **** it up if they want, there is value to maintaining a certain level of control. Look what happens with Android, I've seen some horrible customizations on those phones.

At my company we've struggled with similar situations with our customers ability to customize colors in our product

1 how is file access a security risk ? we are talking about userland file access, right ? You know, the users -own- files.

2 customizations is not the same as file acces/file manager. Its an app, that manages files. this has nothing to do with colors, icon sizes, backgrounds, ringtones, skins, themes, etc

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
1 how is file access a security risk ? we are talking about userland file access, right ? You know, the users -own- files.

2 customizations is not the same as file acces/file manager. Its an app, that manages files. this has nothing to do with colors, icon sizes, backgrounds, ringtones, skins, themes, etc

Do you know what app sandboxing is?

Windows Phone Security | Windows Phone (United States)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(computer_security)

A file manager that pulls data from multiple apps or any app or location would delete the sandboxing security feature in WP. That is not to say it can't be done but Microsoft won't be giving us an on phone file manager until it can be done in a safe manner

I dis agree with your second comment customization and file management have a lot in common they both require files to be accessed across multiple apps. This is why we don't have a color wheel for themes. It would require apps to access a non secure file location. If and when Microsoft finds a way to do these things in a safe manner I am sure we will be given these tools. I would rather wait on a safe solution. I am sure will disagree because that is what you do.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you know what app sandboxing is?

Windows Phone Security | Windows Phone (United States)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(computer_security)

A file manager that pulls data from multiple apps or any app or location would delete the sandboxing security feature in WP. That is not to say it can't be done but Microsoft won't be giving us an on phone file manager until it can be done in a safe manner

I dis agree with your second comment customization and file management have a lot in common they both require files to be accessed across multiple apps. This is why we don't have a color wheel for themes. It would require apps to access a non secure file location. If and when Microsoft finds a way to do these things in a safe manner I am sure we will be given these tools. I would rather wait on a safe solution. I am sure will disagree because that is what you do.

I'm familiar with sandboxing does, yes. Its a great idea, well documented, implemented well and still developing in terms of tweaking what is possible.

I'm not certain how each platform individually passes off information from one to another, but it seems to be working well so far. That may be testimony to -not- doing quite a few things with file sharing, and that current practices are working quite well. Not knowing all the platforms handoff methods is my ignorance, again.

Thanks for yet another personal attack. While it makes for difficult focused discussion, the history added with each one is positive and reliable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3