Do you want on windows phone 8, a file explorer/manager?

takisrock

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Poll...

• Yes
  • No
  • I don't care

Last edited by a moderator:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
yes, that would help to manage apps and games from phone memory to sd memory

Adding features that allows/requires users to fiddle around with things they shouldn't need to fiddle with in the first place is a terrible idea. It's like adding a treadmill to every Sony television because their power cords are defective. Fix the problem, don't engineer around it.

As it is now, each app saves files in its own storage area that is isolated from every other app and shielded from direct user access. The only way to access such a file is by uploading a copy to a server, typically SkyDrive, and accessing it there. Unfortunately, not every app can upload files. Even if a particular app can upload files to SkyDrive, that might not always be appropriate. For example, many people have their own NAS servers at home and would appreciate being able to upload their files via shared folders, WebDAV or FTP. The inability to attach arbitrary files to e-mails is a similar problem. As it is now, every app must include these exact same features... over and over again, as part of every individual app. Not good.

These are what I perceive to be the main file related problems. I'm doubtful that a file explorer app is the best way to solve these though.

For anyone on this forum a file explorer app certainly wouldn't cause any problems, but for many of the more casual smartphone users it may. Such an app also has the potential to introduce security holes into the system.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Along with ability to save any type of file to your phone from email or website. I hate how you are limited to only a few types of files that can be saved to the phone.

Izzyq8

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
wow first vote for no :)

Okay the reason i voted no is i love wp8 because of the simplicity. I know having another option is great and all but i like the fact that it does not have a file explorer

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
wow first vote for no :)

Okay the reason i voted no is i love wp8 because of the simplicity. I know having another option is great and all but i like the fact that it does not have a file explorer

I doubt Microsoft will introduce a publicly accessible file system and a file explorer, no matter how many people ask for it. It appears completely at odds with current OS concepts. Simplicity, as you mentioned, is certainly one reason that stands against doing so.

Furthermore, a file explorer is a solution, but whether or not that solution actually solves the problems people are experiencing is an entirely different question. I'm guessing more often than not it wouldn't.

Finally, there are usually many possible solutions to any given problem, so focusing on a particular solution without having a clear understanding of what everyone's issues are usually isn't worthwhile. I feel that is what is being done here.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I feel like you have no idea what you are talking about
(trying to resist the urge to quote myself)

I'm glad that feeling is mutual. Based on the fact that I'm a software developer and work with Nokia and Microsoft, I feel quite confident.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I just want to be able to download a pdf and view, send or upload at my leisure and a file manager would accomplish this smashingly

Call it what you want but the only way to accomplish these task is some kind of app(manager) that can view your downloads(files) and interact with them.

If you truly believe there is but one way to accomplish the simple tasks you've listed, then you suffer from a lack of imagination. Usually many solutions exist to any given computing problem.

If your list included every required feature, I would view a file explorer app as complete overkill. I can think of multiple ways of meeting those requirements without:

a) a file explorer app
b) requiring every developer to replicate file related functionality in every app
c) compromising the security/reliability benefits offered by isolated storage (which a file explorer app would)

Last edited:

takisrock

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
If you truly believe there is but one way to accomplish the simple tasks you've listed, then you suffer from a lack of imagination. Usually many solutions exist to any given computing problem.

If your list included every required feature, I would view a file explorer app as complete overkill. I can think of multiple ways of meeting those requirements without:

a) a file explorer app
b) requiring every developer to replicate file related functionality in every app
c) compromising the security/reliability benefits offered by isolated storage (which a file explorer app would)

You are correct.
But what about your own files? simply files, music, photos, videos and even documents,
the sd card has folders but only appears on a pc, and you can't manage them until you reach a pc.
I don't care about the apps folder. It just a different view.
and good or bad, that I don't see it coming...

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Its more about being able to manage, download, email, etc OUR files, no matter the file type. Its really a simple friggin concept but thus far, MS refuses to give this simple ability.
MS has been very hard headed about some things with WP OS's. And I think it does more to hurt them and us, than anything else.

They market it as OUR Windows Phones, yet there is plenty we can't even do with our own files.

And ****, they couldn't even give us a color maker to choose our own colors, instead giving us a small choice to choose from.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Its more about being able to manage, download, email, etc OUR files, no matter the file type. Its really a simple friggin concept but thus far, MS refuses to give this simple ability.
MS has been very hard headed about some things with WP OS's. And I think it does more to hurt them and us, than anything else.

They market it as OUR Windows Phones, yet there is plenty we can't even do with our own files.

And ****, they couldn't even give us a color maker to choose our own colors, instead giving us a small choice to choose from.

1. File manager access, especially through 3rd party apps is a security risk.

2. The UI uses the accent color for informative and actionable content. If given full control to the user, they may use a color too hard to see. While you may say that they should just let the user **** it up if they want, there is value to maintaining a certain level of control. Look what happens with Android, I've seen some horrible customizations on those phones.

At my company we've struggled with similar situations with our customers ability to customize colors in our product

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Its really a simple friggin concept but thus far, MS refuses to give this simple ability.
because the problem is easy to understand

Both of you fail to understand the breadth of the issues involved.

Do you understand the problems Microsoft addressed with WP's isolated storage?
Do you understand the problems addressed by WP's security model?
Do you understand the problems that lead Microsoft to disallow even developers from accessing WP's file system directly?

If you don't, then you understand but 1% of the problem. Solving people's issues with WP's file management isn't just about addressing your simple list of requirements... any potential solution must also preserve and fit in with the functionality and features that are already part of the OS, most of which isn't immediately apparent to end users. My point is that although your simple list of requirements is easy to understand, the entirety of the problem is not.

Let's hear what your solution is

That isn't a five minute write up. Right now I just haven't got the time, but I'll get back to you soon.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Like I have said from the beginning, the sandbox created by M$ is the true problem

Do you understand the problems M$ created with their isolated storage model?
Do you understand the problems M$ created with WP security model?
Do you understand how these limitations discourage app development on the platform? (especially for top tier apps)
Do you understand how a secure environment is inconsequential with a dwindling 3% market share?

As a self proclaimed Nokia and Microsoft software developer (lol, I'm a google software developer) you forget the main point in all of this, ROI. I feel like you are ignoring shortcomings for no reason beyond blind fanaticism when it is clear that M$ has thrown out the baby with the bath water and the majority of this forums users agree.

If you're an Android developer, that explains your over anxious need to access everything on someone's smartphone. Meanwhile Android is stuffed with crapware and malware, etc.

There is a **** ton you can do on a phone app without having to access the phones native file system.

It sounds like you have some ulterior motive for that access...

drunkard

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I say NO, I do not need or want a "file manager" on windows phone. If I was looking for that kind of control over the phone, I'd just use android.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's an anxious need to want to be able to download a PDF. I would say your immediate defense of the system M$ has created is far more telling than what you could read into people wanting the ability to achieve simple tasks on their handsets.

I never claimed you needed access to the native file system but some part of the file system will need to be opened or created for general consumption. You and A5cent keep saying there are solutions at the app level within the confines of the M$ sandbox but nobody has offered a single idea while everyone requesting a file manager of some sort has already come up with a solution to the problem listed.

And I called myself an android developer in jest, because I've tinkered with writing android apps, just like A5cent is clearly not a professional developer for M$ or Nokia.

I never said there was a solution for a file manager with WP and developers. I simply said that in general there are a lot of things you can do when developing for WP and its much easier for a W8 port to WP8.

Most people don't need a file manager and most developers don't need access to one for apps.
Would a file manager be nice? Sure, but for most peoples needs, being able to put files on the phone though windows explore and SkyDrive is enough. Not being able to do what you want is not some catastrophic issue for developers that makes the OS impossible to develop for or scare 99% of them a way.

You act as if WP is impossible to develop for because of this restriction. "M$ sandbox" this and that. What about iOS? Have you ever tried developing for that? Its a royal nightmare.

In fact, although I haven't used it lately, but is there even a file manager for it?

You've played with Android right? What about the fact that there is a million versions of Android out there because half the phones can't update? So now developers have to create 10 different versions just so they can get it on everyone's phone.

Each platform has its draw backs WP is actually pretty damn easy to develop for though despite your rant for a stupid file manager.

Last edited:

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You don't have to use it just because it is there.

I am more interested in the protected memeory spaces. Would a file manager actually cause an issue with protected file spaces?

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was so thrilled to get a file manager when I switched from iOS to Android a few years ago. Turns out I used it once to see what it was like. Guess I'm not a power user :)

Having the apps be smart enough to know what file types it can interact with works fine for me, and there's SkyDrive and the PC interface for pretty much everything else. So one vote for "I don't care", though now that I think of it, I might change it to "no" because I'd rather them use the resources to add some other features like ringer profiles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3