What the heck happened to USAA app?

Ele7eN

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
They removed it because it wasn't developed for WP8, only WP7. I installed it prior to it being removed from the market, and have no issues.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Probably pulled due to some incompatibility issues it was having with WP8. I could NEVER get a check uploaded from my WP8 device no matter how many times I tried (which was at least 25 times on various days, different locations, with different lighting and lots of tweaking of the camera settings)... yet it still works just fine on a friend's WP7.

If you're reporting that it's not on the marketplace anymore then it is a GREAT sign that USAA is likely getting ready to update the app.

Ele7eN

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Probably pulled due to some incompatibility issues it was having with WP8. I could NEVER get a check uploaded from my WP8 device no matter how many times I tried (which was at least 25 times on various days, different locations, with different lighting and lots of tweaking of the camera settings)... yet it still works just fine on a friend's WP7.

If you're reporting that it's not on the marketplace anymore then it is a GREAT sign that USAA is likely getting ready to update the app.

I have deposited several checks without fail, but the pictures of the checks get uploaded to my SkyDrive...lol. It's obviously not fully compatible with WP8. Unfortunately, it's been gone from the market (for WP8 devices) for over a month, so that's not a sign of them getting ready to update the app.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your e-mail. At this time the decision was made not to develop a Windows 8 app. We do apologize for the inconvenience. This may be something that is looked at again in the future. We value your business and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs.

Thank you,
Matthew Drake
USAA

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 != Windows Phone 8 argh! MS really should have named the phone OS differently.

Seriously USAA?? Then why remove the WP7 app from WP8 store? If there are no plans then what do they care if it wasn't made exclusively for WP8?!?! Grrr

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just sent them an email... Wasn't sure which area I should contact, so I sent it to Feedback - Product - Suggestion... And made sure to redundantly refer to it as "WP8 Phone" (even spelled it out a few times).

I personally haven't had any issues with the old version on my 920, which I relayed to them and stated that I'd hate to loose the app when I upgrade to a newer WP8 Phone in the future.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I got a response that there were no plans for WP8 at this time... There was an optional survey, so I took a moment to fill it out... At the bottom was an open box to enter comments and I listed my dismay at them not planning to release a WP8 version.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Answer to my reply of disappointment that they cannot put the WP7 app on the WP8 store...

Thank you for your response. There are some potential security risks with the Windows phone 7 app on the Windows phone 8. We are constantly monitoring which devices are being used to access our website and mobile site. If we see a dramatic increase in the amount of Windows Phone 8 devices being used and we can resolve the security issues, we will re-evaluate our decision on developing an app. We have forwarded your comments to our Mobile development team as feedback. Member feedback is very important to USAA and is derived from suggestions given by our members. We hope future enhancements will better meet your needs.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

We value your business and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs.

Thank you,
Cassandra Vargas
USAA

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
We are constantly monitoring which devices are being used to access our website and mobile site. If we see a dramatic increase in the amount of Windows Phone 8 devices being used and we can resolve the security issues, we will re-evaluate our decision on developing an app.
Well that's BS to me. Why would I go to their website on my phone when it doesn't offer the ease of use and numerous features that the app did?? I can't deposit apps from their mobile site at all. In absence of the app, I just use my computer instead... that's not contributing to their little "dramatic increase" statistic at all. If they cared about their members, they would continue on and update for WP8 - the natural evolution of the WP platform. [/rage]

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
this is a company that makes millions and millions of dollars. The cost to migrate the code base to WP8 and fix their minor bugs is a DROP IN THE BUCKET. If they decide to no longer support Windows Phone it will be outright malicious apathy.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
this is a company that makes millions and millions of dollars. The cost to migrate the code base to WP8 and fix their minor bugs is a DROP IN THE BUCKET. If they decide to no longer support Windows Phone it will be outright malicious apathy.

Yes, well I replied saying that BOA, Chase, US Bank etc. all have apps... will see if that invokes any further discussion :)

Malfunction

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
sent them a message as soon as I seen this thread. Had to let them know that I would have to leave them if they would not support the platform.

Shane

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I have gotten the responses above from USAA as well. I even went as far as to copy and paste George's post regarding Chase fixing their app into the message box. If I lose one more app, I'm pretty much done. If I can't use my phone for the purposes I need, I'm going to have to move to a different platform. Just a very sad state to be in.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
WTH!? Luckily I installed it a while back so I have it and its functional. But this news is not good.
Seems we are now not just without certain craved apps Ios and Android have, we are actually LOSING apps now.
If this holds up, not good. I don't want to jump ship but this trend better not continue.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just pinned the mobile website for now. I hate that I have to login each time but it works

Which doesn't work for Deposit via Mobile - like an app would.

Funny - via USAA.com's mobile site, it gives you the option to download their Windows app "for Windows Phone 7" - which isn't available for WP8. Well - back to my iPad for deposits. Seems bad since they won't be getting WP8 telemetry from me to justify development on the WP8 platform I can't use to access their site

USAA Mobile.jpg.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the "security issue" is the WP8 suspending tasks - I.e. because now when you close it, it doesn't really close - the app never logs out.

Therefore if you task switched back, you'd still be logged in 10 minutes later.

I.e. it's laziness in not tweaking the app which caused it to be removed, not a real security problem.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Maybe WPC should run a headline on this and get more people aware of it. Perhaps that will help put some more pressure on USAA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb