What the heck happened to USAA app?

Aviator72

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
About to send USAA an angry email. Had to swap out my Lumia 920 under warranty and the USAA App can't be loaded now. What a bunch of bull for them not to support this. Worked fine on my Lumia 920 W8 from the day i got it. Very disappointed in USAA.

I got my response from USAA parroting the nonsense that most have you have reflected on the forum. Told them that as a near 40 year member I was no longer recommending them with the same enthusiasm I had all these past years...

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I had to go to USAA to wire some $$ the other day, anyhow, I received a call asking me to take a survey about my experience at the bank and at the end I was asked if there were any suggestions that would make USAA better... I simply said they need to make a WP8 version of their mobile app... Guy replied, you mean Windows 8?... I said, no, Windows Phone 8.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I did. We need a few more of these.

1. Log on to your Web USAA Account (preferably from your Windows Phone)
2. Click on Contact Us at bottom of page.
3. On right side find "Start Email Conversation with USAA"
4. Subject ->Feedback, Topic -> Product, Reason->Problem
5. Check box for file a grievance
6. Enter your Subject (ie Windows Phone 8 App not Available)
7. Write your message and send.

Aviator72

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Can't even do this on the inadequate USAA Mobile site. Only option is to call them, no "Start Email Conversation with USAA" choice available on my Lumia 920. And not only do I have to log on, then it ALWAYS asks me for both my Pin and to answer a security question. USAA totally dropping the ball here....

Aviator72

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ari69 - any good news to report on restoring the W8 phone app? I'm sending a letter directly to MG Robles' office in the hopes that might generate some action...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You know, one of the posts got me thinking... USAA basically said, they don't get enough traffic on their web site, from WP8 devices, to justify an app... As a result, I've been going to USAA's mobile site every once in a while... Maybe all we need to do is get members and non members to hit up https://mobile.usaa.com from WP8 devices!? Get enough of them and they might change their stance? I wonder if me using the app, from when it was available on WP8, is hurting the cause?

Last edited:

Ari69

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Without going into much detail for fear of reprecussion, I can say that USAA is strongly looking into user's concerns. If you ever look their facebook page and some news story comes out about their mobile capabilities with iPhone or Android, the WP8 users practically bombard the thread of a lack of WP8 app. Let's just say that this is really causing some attention. I was about to post a little more about what USAA is doing but I got an email promptly after I was told not to post the info into public forums. All I can say is keep it up. USAA is listening :).

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the update, Ari.

This also suggests that if and when USAA puts out a WP8 version of their mobile app that supports mobile Deposits, we need to FLOOD the COMMENTS on their Facebook and USAA member pages to show our appreciation.

For now, I've moved all of my funds to Bank of America since their app has easy mobile deposits. I didn't close my USAA accounts (too much trouble). But now my secondary bank has become my primary where I do all of my daily transactions and payments.

USAA hasn't lost me as a customer, they just lost all of my business until they decide to provide a WP8 app - which is key for my daily banking needs.

Last edited:

Aviator72

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that update Ari69. I'm waiting for a response to a letter I snail mailed to Lt Gen (Ret) Robles, USAA CEO two weeks ago complaining about the lack of support for WP8. I now see that Canadian Bank RBC has a WP8 app and am about to log back on to my USAA account on my computer and send yet another email to USAA. Sure hope this nonsense stops soon! Thanks to all and lets keep up the pressure on USAA.

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I posted on their FB page a while back when I first heard this. I just sent another email to them about it as well. I still have the first app and other than saving check pics to the camera roll it works perfectly. If I deposit a check I just go delete the photos after I'm done. I'll keep it as long as I can!

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I posted on their FB page a while back when I first heard this. I just sent another email to them about it as well. I still have the first app and other than saving check pics to the camera roll it works perfectly. If I deposit a check I just go delete the photos after I'm done. I'll keep it as long as I can!

Wish I could import it to my L820 somehow

Darkwolf70

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I just called them to complain, and tell them I wanted the WP8 version. The guy on the phone said, well, I'm sure they're working on it. Checked and gave me the "use the mobile website" line. I told him that was unacceptable. He seemed surprised that the system gave that answer. Said he'd annotate the call and forward it up. Not sure how much that helps, but if enough people scream, maybe they'll get off their duffs.

I still had it loaded on my phone. Just got a replacement in the mail today, and am devastated that I can't get the app back on my new phone. Does anyone know of a way to get the app off one phone onto another without the Microsoft store?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who reads this thread, try to log in to the mobile website from your phone at least once a day, even if you don't do anything there. Heck, you may not even have to log in, just visit (perhaps set usaa.com login page as your homepage?) Even if there aren't enormous numbers of us, it seems to be the only way they are going to listen - by seeing the numbers. We wouldn't be "artificially inflating" the numbers either, because we all want the USAA app for our phones... we just don't all use the mobile website because it can't do everything. Such as mobile deposits.

Aviator72

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Possibly a small glimmer of hope! I sent a message via my account page again asking the status of a W8 phone app and pointed out the ING Bank had just released theirs. Here is the response I received:

"Thank you for your follow up message regarding the development for a USAA application on the Windows 8 mobile platform. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We are currently evaluating what changes are needed in order for the USAA Mobile App for Windows Phone to be the best experience available. Thank you for your continued patience. Until we have resolved any issues with using our Windows Phone 7 application on a Windows Phone 8 device, please use mobile.usaa.com for the best experience.

We value your business and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs."

Everyone needs to keep up the pressure on USAA!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
From https://www.facebook.com/WindowsPhone8User

greg.schwartz@usaa.com

Mr. Schwartz,

I am writing to let you know that I am one of the many dissatisfied customers who would like to see USAA return to the Windows Phone platform. I have always been under the impression that USAA was for the veterans, and was a company that embraced technology to serve its members. I have learned that this is not true, and I’m quite disappointed because of it.

I am a Windows Phone developer. I’m not a great one, but I do have several apps in the Windows Phone Store. I have been using Windows Phones for more than two years, and up until just a little over a month ago, I was quite happy, using the USAA Windows Phone app. But when the Nokia Lumia 928 launched on Verizon’s network I purchased one, having waited a long time for a top-end phone to come to Verizon. But alas, the USAA app that I’d been using for most of that two years had been pulled from the store, without explanation.

Because I am a developer, I do know the reason, though. It is because of a security problem caused by the images of checks being saved in the phone and on SkyDrive when a Windows Phone 8 owner used the Deposit Mobile feature of the app. I can understand temporarily pulling the app until this problem is fixed, but that isn’t what is going on at USAA. USAA pulled the app without explanation, and keeps telling us, your customers, and members, that the demand for Windows Phone is too low, and that you’ll reevaluate to see if use by Windows Phones increases. This is especially irritating, being a developer, because I know that the fix isn’t difficult.

My first thought when I hear this bogus excuse is that there’s no way for you to know how many members are using Windows Phones. The app is gone, so you can’t use that as a metric. Mobile web site? Well, with no Deposit Mobile on the site, there’s less reason to use it. With having to log in with username, password, and pin, each and every time a person wants to use the site, that is a disincentive to using the site from a phone. These two things alone will lend to a false low result in your stats. So how do you manage to gather statistics on how many members are using Windows phones? And in the mean time, while you are evaluating whether you will reintroduce the USAA app to the Windows Phone Store, how is it that Blackberry still has an app? Blackberry is losing market share, while Windows Phone is gaining, and has surpassed Blackberry in a trend that seems to be continuing.

Mr. Schwartz, I might suggest that you take a few minutes to look at these message threads, which appear on Windows Phone Central – one of the largest Windows Phone sites. Keep in mind that this is just from one site – there are others, as well as facebook pages.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/213464-what-heck-happened-usaa-app.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...usaa-app-wp8-not-coming-decision-mid-jan.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-support-its-wp-7-app-no-wp8-app-planned.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/214307-usaa-app-no-more.html

I have read comments from posters who have decided to move from USAA to Chase, because USAA refuses to support Windows Phone while Chase (as well as ING now - among others who've already had apps) has given us a very good app. I’m going to start doing more of my banking with my local bank rather than USAA for this reason as well. Why should I have to drive to a UPS Store to make a deposit when I can drive one-fourth the distance to Wells Fargo, where I can use the drive-through, and be back at home before I would be done making the deposit to USAA? This is what it means to me, since I can no longer use the Deposit Mobile.

I would strongly urge you to bring the USAA app back to Windows Phone. Anything less I consider a disservice to your customers.

Thank you for your time,
Rich xxxxxxxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077