Windows Phone 8 Apps: Notifications & poor quality apps (Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, Skype)

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
So im quite sure the notifications bug is a problem over at Microsoft side in Europe? This is awful as Windows Phone is rising in Europe, almost 12% share in Italy and rising rapidly in UK. This needs fixing ASAP as its been going on far too long since WP7 days.

Microsoft atm focused on other things of windows phone 8, they think that those "lil things" can wait.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The only app that is giving me issues on that level is Facebook. For the rest I am experiencing no issues with my phone and J find App quality to be far superior to Android, and sometimes even iOS counterparts. People are just used to complaining about WP. But ask anyone on any other platform, they all hate the FB app. Ours at least looks pretty, and that's more than I can say for other platforms. Besides, apart for messages. FB can be used quite easily through the People hub. Twitter is Terrible, but some third-party counterparts are great, and Whatsapp is getting an update soon (finally) but even so, I'm not having any stability issues with the app's main feature (messaging, that is). People need to stop whining and look at the same applications on other platforms before talking. Its really not all that great, especially when it comes to Android.

I am not part of that anyone on any other platform that hates the fb app. I have no complaints on my iPhone. I view functionality as more important than looks. Sure a brand new Ferrari is very nice to look at but it's pointless if there's no engine in it. I will agree with you, for fb and twitter using the people hub is the way to go. I never had any problems with it on my 822 and the functionality was great.

miklavzg

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I dislike not getting new messages notifications from FB.
I don't wanna have facebook chat set as online via messages, but I would like to receive toast notifications via FB app, which doesn't work... #fail

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
The app developed will work for windows phone and windows RT, for windows 8 pro they will have to develop again the same app.

You're confusing Windows Store applications with Windows 8 Desktop applications. All Windows Store applications can run on Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro as long as the developer compiles a separate version for each processor (ARM on Windows RT and X86+X64 on Windows 8 Pro) from the exact same source code if you're building a native code application using C++. There is no need to rewrite the code. Furthermore managed code applications written using C# can directly run across all processors without requiring a separate version for each processor. Only Windows 8 Desktop applications needs to be ported over to run on Windows RT. Window Store applications cannot directly run on Windows Phone 8 without changing code (mostly UI and phone-features related) but most of the existing code can be reused.

Last edited:

zilab

May 24, 2011
Visit site
No, I'm not, you are confusing what you read. I said for windows phone and RT the apps will work, windows 8 pro meaning windows 8 desktop needs another developing of the app. Learn to read.
I said the apps on windows phone store are the same from windows RT store! RT! I didn't said windows x86/x64, I said RT! do you need a drawing?
I know the difference between RT & x86/x64. You should stop posting until you read all the sentences, you will end up embarrassing yourself.

Hate to burst your bubble mate but @Bee Mon is correct here. And you are the one confused.

As of now there are only 2 stores, windows phone store and windows 8 store.

Windows 8 Store, you can also browse via web:
Apps for Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

Windows Phone Store, you can also browse via web
Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Now with regards to RT and Win 8 Pro, they share the same store which is Windows 8 Store.

So no
"windows phone store are the same from windows RT store! RT!"
- this is invalid.

Now to further complicate things, Windows 8 Pro, can run both legacy software (win7 apps that only resides on desktop) and modern apps (which is offered in windows 8 store). While the limitation of Windows RT is that it can only run apps from Windows 8 store which is esscentially a modern win 8 app. The only thing RT can run on desktop mode is Office, Internet Explorer and Notepad.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Well Zilab i guess your right, because MS Surface runs on RT and ppl were not happy because you cant run desktop applications! Thats why MS made Surface Pro that runs on Windows 8 not RT.
So again to my point, MS should ditch RT if it has the same store as W8 not WP8! and focus on both to make WP OS much much better

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm not, you are confusing what you read. I said for windows phone and RT the apps will work, windows 8 pro meaning windows 8 desktop needs another developing of the app. Learn to read.
I said the apps on windows phone store are the same from windows RT store! RT! I didn't said windows x86/x64, I said RT! do you need a drawing?
I know the difference between RT & x86/x64. You should stop posting until you read all the sentences, you will end up embarrassing yourself.

Yes I read all your sentences before I posted. Your previous post was vague and confusing and your new post is even worse as you are now confusing operating systems with app stores and app types. Windows RT is an OS, not a store. Windows 8 Pro is an OS, not a kind of application. If this is the way you explain things to people, then you should be the one that is embarrassed. Maybe you should provide drawings but I hope they contain more than just a bunch of rectangles. Lastly I'm not going to get myself involved in a pointless debate with some angry and defensive individual who attacks me for no reason other than disagreement with your post so bye-bye, forever. Have fun embarrassing yourself further.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
WTFlower is up with you guys with person attacks? This ain't fruits and robots community. Stay focused please, before a mod closes a discussion that was going in the right direction!

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Okay to simplify...Microsoft has Microsoft store, Windows store and Windows phone store
Microsoft store is for purchase of PC's, laptops, Xbox, Office, Tablets
Windows store is to download windows 8 and its relevant apps...one can find apps for Surface RT here but not all apps would work on RT
Windows phone store is as the name suggests

Am I right folks or do I need to understand something else?? This s**t is pretty confusing...

MS released Surface RT...then said all your apps cannot work on it...but apart from the existing Windows app there are no specific apps for windows RT...so a consumer is left with a tablet having some pre-installed apps and thats about it..hence poor sales for RT leading to further fall in app build up rate..

Windows phone market is growing but there are still no apps..

What I get from all these is that somewhere MS has got all this messed up..

The simple strategy would be having windows 8 and surface pro running same apps...and windows phone sharing same kernel...so that the developer needs to build an app once and modify a bit to release it on all platforms...why the **** do we require Surface RT and its related confusion??

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No personal attacks are permitted per forum rules. http://forums.windowscentral.com/wpcentral-com-site-news-feedback-help/204020-rules.html

• Personal Attacks - Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to neither criticize nor insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If you are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.

This thread will remain civil or it will be closed.

sharpinator

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong windows phone has some good quality apps but the big ones are much better on android with way more functionality and they just work. I always got my notifications on my android phone they were always quick and I never missed them because of the fantastic notification centre I'm not trying to be a fan boy but I don't think anyone can deny that one of the greatest things about android is the notification centre/drop down bar even ios stole the idea. I'm really hoping to get a lot out of this platform but if things don't improve what is the point! It's 2013 hardware and software is really advanced now, people aren't going to be patient enough to wait for basic things!

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Can we get back to the topic now? Notifications?

I agree with sharpinator, its been long enough waiting for these issues to be fixed and they have yet to be addressed years later. They need to get their act together and very fast as i already feel burned about my L900, i gave it another shot with L820, but ashore this will be my last Windows Phone if notifications are not fixed quickly and app quality is not improved at a faster rate. I find it unbelievable that even apps developed by Microsoft and major apps that change peoples minds about a phone (that being Facebook) are neglected so much.

Does anyone have any news about any updates for Facebook app as there was little change from v2.7 to v4.0 and virtually no changes at all from v4.0 to v4.1. And i wonder where is that promised update for WhatsApp and Viber? And where is the WP8 compatibility for Tango? Also where is the basic sign out feature for Skype?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb