ProShot camera app.

deepblue82

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Well In another app called Camera Pro, there is possibiliy to save pictures in Saved pictures folder. That's it.
I asked RiseUpGames if it is possible to save images in some other folder, if I create folder on PC, then to save it in that folder. as RiseUpGames
Explained it is not possible. We are now talking about ProShot app.

Ahh I see, should have read your post correctly , I just skipped the part with Camera Pro ;-)

Edited my post above!

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Just bought this app to support a good cause. :)
I love beautiful and interesting photos, but unfortunately myself I am very inexperienced. The point and shoot camera that's my max achievement.
If there is a good Samaritan on this thread that can explain in short simple way what these different settings do and when they should be applied (except zoom and flash of course :) ) that would be greatly appreciated.

One thing I wanted to mention. I left ProShot running (totally forgot I had it on) for about an hour - it completely ate my battery and made the phone incredibly hot.

To add what has already been said:

Shutter speed is basically how long the lense stays open on the camera to "record" the light (aka get the picture).

The faster the shutter speed is, the smaller amount of time that lense stays open, and thus the less amount of light you let in to form the picture.

A really fast shutter speed (say, 1/1000 of a second or 1/2000 of a second) is perfect for daytime shots, where there is plenty of light, so you don't need to keep the shutter open very long at all. If you go any slower you might find your shots coming out way too bright. Really fast shutter speeds also have no motion blur - which means you can capture things in motion crisp and clear, and it means you also don't need a tripod to have your pictures come out clear.

A really slow shutter speed (say 1/2 second or all the way up to 4 seconds) are good for really dark/night time shots, as the shutter will stay open long enough to get all the light it needs to make an image come out without ever using (ugly and bad!) flash. Slow shutter speeds have lots of motion blur, which can make really awesome shots when you shoot things in motion. However the downside to using slow shutter speeds is that you NEED a tripod or something to rest the phone on (I suggest using the timer feature in ProShot to take a picture in a couple of seconds if doing the latter, so you don't shake the phone when you take the pic). This is because at slower shutter speeds, it'll pick up the subtle movement of your hands in the picture which will make the whole thing blurry. Generally you will want to or need to use a tripod (or similar) if using shutter speeds any slower than 1/16th of a second (you might get away without one if you are really steady with your hands at 1/16ths).

ISO and exposure is what brings that all together. Want to do a shot in average light but show something that's moving with lots of neat motion blur? Put it on a slower shutter speed, but have a low ISO setting and turn down the exposure a little so it comes out just the way you want. Want a shot in a slightly dark room but don't have a tripod to keep things steady at a slow shutter speed? Crank up the shutter speed a little till it's "clear" and then run at a high ISO setting so the image doesn't come out too dark. Playing around with ISO/Shutter/Exposure is also really helpful for taking pictures of tricky situations - like backlit people/objects, the sky during daytime, etc. Depending on what you sent your shutter at, and your exposure, and your ISO, you can even out the image (for example) on a backlit person so the person doesn't show up completely dark or the backlighting behind him isn't overblown. Or you can force a sillohette to happen with the backlighting/window/etc behind a person to be perfectly exposed, or you can make it so the person comes out perfect but looks like they are surrounded by a bright light :p ! It takes a few shots and expeirmenting before you come up with the settings that work for your situation, but that's photography for you.

IMO that's what makes it fun!

albashiq

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Q for developer
i just tried your app and for sure i will buy it now :)
fantastic work thought i am newbie in photography but with trying all these options i will get best from this camera :)

but i wana report 1 thing i notice that when i open app and still did not take any pics when i flip my phone to side all screen flip to

but after i take 1 pic or more that screen will never flip if i change mobile position
is that normal or what ?

and i think it is with latest update but still eating alot from battery and getting phone hot

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Korjax and Riseupgames, thank you so much for responding and extremely making some settings.
I did my homework too and started reading about exposure, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance.
I am somewhat confused with shutter speed and exposure, as it seems to some extend do the same - expose to a light, could,some please explain what a difference is? Also ISO, ie sensitivity, seems to be similar to the other two as well.
Am I correct that its impossible to change an aperture using this app on Lumia 920?
In the top manu what does FPS stand for and what does it do? I didn't find an answer in the tutorial.
Thank you all for taking,time to respond.

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Could please someone explain why am I seeing this black area in Proshot in view mode (camera is looking at white window sill)? It looks normal in default camera app. For a comparison I have included two screenshots. I haven't changed anything, except for updating to a newer Proshot version.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130310_0003.jpg
    wp_ss_20130310_0003.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 7
  • wp_ss_20130310_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20130310_0002.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 9

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I love this apps , bought it after I read this article , and I must say its not magical , everything you do with it could be done with the normal UI , except it has a perfectly working White Balance that makes it worth the buck.

EDIT: I retracted my hasty claims in page 12 , (I still think the best thing about this app is a perfectly working WB balance though coming from the Lumia 920 you'd understand.)

Last edited:

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I am somewhat confused with shutter speed and exposure, as it seems to some extend do the same - expose to a light, could,some please explain what a difference is? Also ISO, ie sensitivity, seems to be similar to the other two as well.
Am I correct that its impossible to change an aperture using this app on Lumia 920?
In the top manu what does FPS stand for and what does it do?

Shutter Speed : digital cameras capture pictures by opening its shutter to let light in and thus letting the sensor identify the colors and convert it to a picture. (AS LIGHT IS THE PICTURE)
So in order to accumulate enough light ie: details. the shutter needs to stay open depending on the amount of light the picture needs.
Exposure: its a software alternative to adding more light or less to a certain picture
ISO: is the sensitivity of the sensor to lights. its the push of extra electricity to the sensor for it to get more light and vice versa.
You'll never understand it unless I give you a usage example.
You're at night and you want to take a picture of a still object with minimal lighting. Using your lumia 920 switch to Night Mode and try taking a picture with the phone in your hands.
the result will probably be blurry. because even with OIS shakes will hurt night images. Blur occurs because light accumulates in the sensor in a layer like fashion. (Much like in photoshop when you stack layers upon layers the resulting image is a brighter version of the original layer. ) when you shake your hands the layers become scattered sometimes lightly sometimes bluntly.
. So if you insist on taking hand held pictures (no tripod at your disposal) you need to decrease shutter speed time which means you'll decrease the number of theoretical layers that could be effected by a shake but as I said before if less layers are stacked it'll be less bright).
So what would you do you need to increase your sensor's ability to see light and here's where you need ISO settings . get it ?its about balancing two values to get the best result.
What you get is a good picture with no blur but its a little dark. ( using the built in editing app you can auto fix it to look brighter and as there's no blur it won't get missed up.
another situation would be , you want to capture a landscape, the sun is bright , you've got a tripod set and you want a CLEAR picture , what you do is lower the ISO settings , then increase the exposure time just a little bit , and what you get is a picture with no noise what so ever.

What is that purple noise I keep seeing in night photos. When the ISO is high the amount of electricity is higher that electricity will create noise (a fact in any wire ) and thus night photos will always have this in ****ty cameras. ( Nokia's algorithms of spotting and removing that noise is just amazing.)

in the case of the lumia 920 , the camera has not physical shutter, instead that process is emulated by pushing electricity to the sensor. that's why Exposure value is in fact a mix of Software and shutter speed.

here's a case scenario that is cool , run your camera set iso to 100 and increase exposure to the extreme , set your phone on a table or hold it hard, turn off the lights in the room take a picture of your friend while he draws a shape using a small flash light ( ( the flash should be pointed at the camera and he has 2 secs to do so) , the resulting picture would look amazing.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I love this apps , bought it after I read this article , and I must say its not magical , everything you do with it could be done with the normal UI , except it has a perfectly working White Balance that makes it worth the buck.

You must be kidding ? "Everything you do with it could be done with normal UI "
Exposure time up to 4 seconds ?
Manual focus ?
and so on.....
please show me how to do it without ProShot ?!

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Korjax and Riseupgames, thank you so much for responding and extremely making some settings.
I did my homework too and started reading about exposure, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance.
In the top manu what does FPS stand for and what does it do? I didn't find an answer in the tutorial.
Thank you all for taking,time to respond.

That's correct, you can't adjust the apature in phone cameras. However the ISO works a lot like a ghetto aperature, they serve very similar purposes.

(In "normal" cameras, the shutter speed determines how long the shutter stays open [aka how much light it lets in over a period of time] and the aperature determines how big the hole is on that shutter [aka how much light gets in when that shutter is open]. Having an aperature wide open on a standard camera is a lot like having your pupils in your eye fully dialated - it lets in more light and then you can see easier in the dark. ISO works almost the same, but affects the sensativity of the actual light sensor rather than physically altering the levels of light which is what the aperature does. Using an aperature is generally better than using ISO to adjust light, because you can fine tune it to a much greater degree and there's no artifacts produced like film grain on higher sensativites that you get with a higher ISO setting).

I've never actually owned a camera that used aperatures and ISO setting at the same time, which is pretty much all modern DSLR digital cameras these days. So I don't really know how they would work together in a "real" cameras since they seem to do the same thing.

EDIT: Exposure is kind of a "post process". The ISO adjusts the light sensativity on the sensor in the camera as the light hits it, so when you take a picture with it you get what you get. Exposure doesn't really deal with the actual light sensativity of the camera as it hits the sensor, but how that light ends up being read and turned into a picture after capture (I think?). You pretty much use exposure basically to fine tune it.

So imagine you are taking a picture of a flower. This is how that flower gets turned into the final result on your screen AFAIK

Light (from the flower and world around you, the basic ingredent to making a picture) -> Goes into the shutter, which stays open for however long you set it (shutter speed) -> That "slice" of light you let in gets captured by the sensor inside the camera, which is very sensative to light (that you can adjust how sensative this is with the ISO setting) -> Once captured by the sensor, the camera turns this raw data into an image, using other settings like exposure etc to account (so having your exposure at zero means it takes the data it got from the light it captured on that sensor and directly makes an image from that) -> Final result

Technically all you need to do photography is having a shutter speed an an aperature/ISO to control how much light is let in/sensed while the shutter is open. Most basic black and white film cameras work just like this - there aren't any settings beyond that and you can produce really great photos with it. However having the ability to adjust zoom, focus, ISO, exposure, etc all comes in handy to make an image look just how you want, or when taking pictures of situations that cameras tend to have trouble with (like skies, objects that are lit from behind, dark rooms, etc).

pennzoilgtr

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

i must said, this is definitely magical. try all this with your Normal UI :)

Amazing light trail photography that can never be done on any other mobile phone at all.
2013_03_05_22_12_53_ProShot.jpg

Sharp yet high contrast night landscape photography, that is on par with DSLR where it's achievable with a tripod.
2013_03_01_22_23_15_ProShot.jpg

Manual focus advantages over Automatic focus, makes shooting on running toddler even easier and magically creates minor "depth of field" with no post-processing. it's very difficulty to walk and shoot on a moving object with Auto Focus.
2013_03_06_17_50_22_ProShot.jpg
2013_03_06_17_51_23_ProShot.jpg

MS_SURVEYOR

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i must said, this is definitely magical. try all this with your Normal UI :)

Amazing light trail photography that can never be done on any other mobile phone at all.
View attachment 30378

Sharp yet high contrast night landscape photography, that is on par with DSLR where it's achievable with a tripod.
View attachment 30379

Manual focus advantages over Automatic focus, makes shooting on running toddler even easier and magically creates minor "depth of field" with no post-processing. it's very difficulty to walk and shoot on a moving object with Auto Focus.
View attachment 30380
View attachment 30381

pennzoilgtr, I've become a fan!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry for the slow response, still trying to catch up with everything in my life after the rough development schedule this past month.

Q for developer
i just tried your app and for sure i will buy it now :)
fantastic work thought i am newbie in photography but with trying all these options i will get best from this camera :)

but i wana report 1 thing i notice that when i open app and still did not take any pics when i flip my phone to side all screen flip to

but after i take 1 pic or more that screen will never flip if i change mobile position
is that normal or what ?

and i think it is with latest update but still eating alot from battery and getting phone hot

Does this happen every time? I can't seem to replicate it on any of my devices. It should flip when you change your phone's orientation, but it won't if the phone is lying flat on a table.

Also, which version are you running? As of v2.5, ProShot has pretty similar power requirements to the default camera app, so there should be no heat issues.

Could please someone explain why am I seeing this black area in Proshot in view mode (camera is looking at white window sill)? It looks normal in default camera app. For a comparison I have included two screenshots. I haven't changed anything, except for updating to a newer Proshot version.

This is the highlight clip function, it is a tool for notifying the user of potentially over-exposed areas of the image. If you want it turned off, please find the "Highlight Clip" button in the Settings panel :)

Edit: I've been meaning to update the online manual to reflect all of the new additions that have been made to ProShot this past month. I will try to get it done in the next few days.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I quickly reviewed it and the UI didn't help much , once I got it up and running , I really got its potential , The thing I wonder , are they using Nokia's low light algorithms or their own . (Since nokia opened its APIs lately.)

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
After I understood the magic of this app I went on twitter praising it , I'm really sorry for being too hasty in my judgment , here's some of my own pictures to set the mode straight with the developer. :)
Majestic skies using a combination of contrast (not available natively) and decreased Saturation (also not available natively)
2013_03_11_07_07_47_ProShot.jpg

Amazing Manual Focus capabilities.
2013_03_11_07_11_07_ProShot.jpg

Again sorry for the hasty judgment the UI kind of put me off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro