The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-09-2017 09:12 AM
2,260 ... 5859606162 ...
tools
    Would you ever consider an option to shoot/save only the 12MP res version (on 1020 for instance) instead of dual save mode? This would probably increase processing time. Plus, I'm finding many people like to do their edits & uploading on the device themselves & those smaller file sizes are easier to work with, and at 12MP isn't too bad of a "hit" on quality as say what the standard Nokia Camera app does at 5MP (which is way too small IMO).

The full res can be worked with sure, but those file sizes usually make most apps choke. Its an overall pain in the rear working with them on-device. So shooting at 12MP only sounds like a nice middle ground that's still plenty of quality/megapixels to work with, save storage space, plus would likely speed up the app overall shot to shot times. Thanks for a great app!
    If you go to the Settings panel and uncheck "Save Original" it will only save the 12MP image and not the 41 :)

A more detailed user manual is highly needed, and something I keep meaning to get around to. I'm hoping to release v5.0 and an overhaul of the ProShot website at the same time. Hoping >_<
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-22-2014 04:27 AM
    If you go to the Settings panel and uncheck "Save Original" it will only save the 12MP image and not the 41 :)

A more detailed user manual is highly needed, and something I keep meaning to get around to. I'm hoping to release v5.0 and an overhaul of the ProShot website at the same time. Hoping >_<
    Thanks. Yeah, I just saw that after my post. Doh! But still, doesn't that just keep the full res version from saving? Meaning, isn't the app still processing the full res version in the background after each shot then downsampling to the chosen res?
    05-22-2014 11:07 AM
    Hmmm well tried using the same settings for the same shots between Nokia Camera and ProShot on my 1020 and even with the exported images being viewed in ProShot app there was more compression and not as much clarlity in close up details compared to what I could get out of Nokia Camera on my 1020 :(

Not to say your app is bad or anything - it runs nicer than Nokia Camera IMO and I like the UI a lot more. Not to mention great features such as timelapse/burst. Loved using it on my 810 - it just seems at the moment Nokia Camera has superior access to the 41mp camera. As such it appears it can push better quality/details using the same settings then what I can get with ProShot under standard camera shooting scenarios (i.e. sans doing something like a timelapse). I get the sense that Nokia Camera delivers a true 41mp supersampled image, which allows for lossless zoom/reframe capability among other things (and this makes sense, its a first party app designed to do just that along with the camera - Nokia probably has deep level access to the data the camera captures while ProShot does not). Comapred to ProShot, it seems to be shooting standard 5MP/8MP/12MP, like what you might get out of a 920. Looks great don't get me wrong though (as you'd expect a 920 to take great pictures), but it seems like at least on my version it is missing that 1020 edge. Even when viewing and only taking 5MP images from Nokia Camera it seems to be a bit more clear/detailed.

Not really criticisms or anything since I feel like these aren't really solvable issues (much like the camera button being unable to launch ProShot), just observations that I'm wondering if anyone else has felt who uses the 1020. ProShot is still nice for the many features it has over Nokia Camera.
    05-22-2014 12:44 PM
    Speaking of the whole Export Original system - do you think it might be possible to add an option to "always export original"? I would personally prefer to always have it exported.
    05-22-2014 01:03 PM
    Thanks. Yeah, I just saw that after my post. Doh! But still, doesn't that just keep the full res version from saving? Meaning, isn't the app still processing the full res version in the background after each shot then downsampling to the chosen res?
    The only way to get 12MP is to super-sample the 41MP image, the hardware doesn't have a native 12MP option. That said, shot-to-shot time at those high resolutions has definitely been improved in v5.0 :)

Hmmm well tried using the same settings for the same shots between Nokia Camera and ProShot on my 1020 and even with the exported images being viewed in ProShot app there was more compression and not as much clarlity in close up details compared to what I could get out of Nokia Camera on my 1020 :(

Not to say your app is bad or anything - it runs nicer than Nokia Camera IMO and I like the UI a lot more. Not to mention great features such as timelapse/burst. Loved using it on my 810 - it just seems at the moment Nokia Camera has superior access to the 41mp camera. As such it appears it can push better quality/details using the same settings then what I can get with ProShot under standard camera shooting scenarios (i.e. sans doing something like a timelapse). I get the sense that Nokia Camera delivers a true 41mp supersampled image, which allows for lossless zoom/reframe capability among other things (and this makes sense, its a first party app designed to do just that along with the camera - Nokia probably has deep level access to the data the camera captures while ProShot does not). Comapred to ProShot, it seems to be shooting standard 5MP/8MP/12MP, like what you might get out of a 920. Looks great don't get me wrong though (as you'd expect a 920 to take great pictures), but it seems like at least on my version it is missing that 1020 edge. Even when viewing and only taking 5MP images from Nokia Camera it seems to be a bit more clear/detailed.

Not really criticisms or anything since I feel like these aren't really solvable issues (much like the camera button being unable to launch ProShot), just observations that I'm wondering if anyone else has felt who uses the 1020. ProShot is still nice for the many features it has over Nokia Camera.
    You really have to view the images on your PC for comparison. ProShot's image viewer currently doesn't display the full 41MP image. The 41MP image that is exported by ProShot is the exact image stream captured by the camera, no post-processing, so it should look the same or better than Nokia Camera on your PC :)

Speaking of the whole Export Original system - do you think it might be possible to add an option to "always export original"? I would personally prefer to always have it exported.
    That's a great idea. I'll have to test it out to see how it runs. The reason why ProShot currently saves the 41MP to the app's local folder instead of to the camera roll is that there is some overhead associated with saving to the camera roll (especially when using an SD card), while saving to the app's local folder happens a lot quicker.

I've overhauled a lot of old code with v5.0, which should allow me to do more interesting parallel processes without affecting app performance. It'll be stuff I'll explore after 5.0 launches. I definitely want to do as much as I can to improve workflow.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-22-2014 03:51 PM
    The only way to get 12MP is to super-sample the 41MP image, the hardware doesn't have a native 12MP option. That said, shot-to-shot time at those high resolutions has definitely been improved in v5.0 :)
    Ah, OK. Kinda had a feeling that was the process. Thanks.

So if I'm understanding this, the full res version is more of a "raw" image that is unprocessed, but a 10MP or 12MP made from it has been "baked" already (meaning enhancements, color, obviously size, etc)?

Speaking of 10MP or 12MP, I'm trying to decide which one to shoot in. The 10MP version is just about 1MB smaller in terms of size, but not sure if the 12MP gives me anymore than just a larger size. What are your findings? Thanks again.
    05-23-2014 12:29 AM
    Ah, OK. Kinda had a feeling that was the process. Thanks.

So if I'm understanding this, the full res version is more of a "raw" image that is unprocessed, but a 10MP or 12MP made from it has been "baked" already (meaning enhancements, color, obviously size, etc)?

Speaking of 10MP or 12MP, I'm trying to decide which one to shoot in. The 10MP version is just about 1MB smaller in terms of size, but not sure if the 12MP gives me anymore than just a larger size. What are your findings? Thanks again.
    The 10 or 12MP is merely super-sampled from the original 41MP JPEG supplied by the camera hardware.

In my tests, I found that the difference between 41MP and 12MP wasn't that huge (I suspect the lens on the 1020 isn't sharp enough to handle 41MP. That or it could just be the JPEG compression itself... I have yet to check out the DNG files). The difference is there, but not 3X the difference.

As far at 10MP vs 12MP, I haven't done any tests, but I'm guessing it's not that far off.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-23-2014 04:37 AM
    After more use, I've noticed that sometimes pics I've taken aren't saved. It might have already been mentioned, but I believe its because I have backed out of the app right after a shot (but after the live view comes back) but while the app is still processing the last shot (which can take a few extra seconds to complete after live view comes back).

Since Proshot doesn't have an option for background processes in the main WP settings, this could be problematic. Would hitting the Windows key instead of back allow it to still process after a shot?
    05-26-2014 08:59 AM
    After more use, I've noticed that sometimes pics I've taken aren't saved. It might have already been mentioned, but I believe its because I have backed out of the app right after a shot (but after the live view comes back) but while the app is still processing the last shot (which can take a few extra seconds to complete after live view comes back).

Since Proshot doesn't have an option for background processes in the main WP settings, this could be problematic. Would hitting the Windows key instead of back allow it to still process after a shot?
    Yeah, this is definitely on my list of bugs to address. Hitting either back or the windows button would have the same effect: it would just interrupt the function call to save a photo.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-26-2014 02:57 PM
    Hey RiseUpGames,

Any news on the big update?
    05-29-2014 03:49 AM
    RiseUpGames, this thread has become more of a bug reporting channel, figured I'd just check in to tell You how immensely impressed I'm by ProShot HDR! Hardly any noise
    2014_05_22_21_21_23_proshot.jpg
    05-29-2014 04:24 AM
    Hey RiseUpGames,

Any news on the big update?
    Still working on it! Had something extra-big in the works (on top of the update), but the trail has gone cold, so I'm gonna have to scrap it :/

Currently, I'm migrating the new UI over to the main code base, and cleaning up a ton of stuff along the way. I've probably re-written 1/3 of all ProShot code just for this update! It's been a lot more work than I was expecting, but no major issues thus far. Random stats from a Lumia 1020:

1) Cut fillrate in half
    2) Increased frame rate by 15-25% when performing UI tasks (scroll to photo, scroll filter list)
    3) Full-res burst 20% faster than Nokia Camera (yep, I've added full-res burst)
    4) Shot-to-shot single image capture (5MP + 34MP) is also faster than Nokia Camera

Still don't have an ETA on this, but it's getting there.

RiseUpGames, this thread has become more of a bug reporting channel, figured I'd just check in to tell You how immensely impressed I'm by ProShot HDR! Hardly any noise
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_05_22_21_21_23_ProShot.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	927.0 KB 
ID:	67762
    Wow that is very low noise! I had actually forgotten about this: since ProShot's HDR mode combines multiple exposures, the image noise gets averaged out during the blend process, thus reducing noise.

Very nice pic, btw :)
    05-30-2014 05:04 AM
    Still love this app. Playing with different shutter speeds.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails 2014_05_31_20_39_24_proshot.jpg   2014_05_31_20_39_36_proshot.jpg  
    Guytronic and RiseUpGames like this.
    05-31-2014 07:43 PM
    Is there a "Reset" option that I can change back all the setting to the original default setting??
    05-31-2014 09:27 PM
    Is there a "Reset" option that I can change back all the setting to the original default setting??
    It's on my to-do list for the next update
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-31-2014 11:04 PM
    1) Cut fillrate in half
    2) Increased frame rate by 15-25% when performing UI tasks (scroll to photo, scroll filter list)
    3) Full-res burst 20% faster than Nokia Camera (yep, I've added full-res burst)
    4) Shot-to-shot single image capture (5MP + 34MP) is also faster than Nokia Camera
    Wow that is very low noise! I had actually forgotten about this: since ProShot's HDR mode combines multiple exposures, the image noise gets averaged out during the blend process, thus reducing noise.

Very nice pic, btw :)
    impressive stats! yes, exactly my thinking, just didn't expect it to be THIS good
    06-02-2014 02:44 AM
    Put together the high chairs for the babies.:)
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails wp_20140603_2824.jpg  
    RiseUpGames and Guytronic like this.
    06-03-2014 07:39 PM
    Okay, this may sound crazy, but hearing that Nokia Camera is getting continuous autofocus, I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to implement a form of continuous autofocus into ProShot?

My thoughts are something that just tries vaguely to maintain focus, that can be enabled and disabled easily, and only uses the AF light (when enabled) at first launch. This could just be a simple function that says "focus on center every 2 seconds" or something to that effect, but I think it would be very nice to have an option that reduces the need to keep focusing.

Regardless, definitely looking forward to what you have in the pipeline! :)
    06-06-2014 10:00 AM
    Okay, this may sound crazy, but hearing that Nokia Camera is getting continuous autofocus, I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to implement a form of continuous autofocus into ProShot?

My thoughts are something that just tries vaguely to maintain focus, that can be enabled and disabled easily, and only uses the AF light (when enabled) at first launch. This could just be a simple function that says "focus on center every 2 seconds" or something to that effect, but I think it would be very nice to have an option that reduces the need to keep focusing.

Regardless, definitely looking forward to what you have in the pipeline! :)
    If it's part of the API then I can most certainly add it. I know it's not part of WP8.0, but it may be there in 8.1. 8.1-specific features will be coming after the big update (which is totally killing me! But is shaping up really well. Finally added FFC support today ;)

Here's what the new EXIF viewer looks like. It's a little teaser of the direction I'm going with the the UI

wp_ss_20140603_0003.jpg

That pic is actually a 3-exposure HDR, used to paint light, combined with the "Vintage" filter. Since it was saved like this at time of capture, you can call this straight-out-of-camera :)
    Guytronic, HaibaneReki and RaRa85 like this.
    06-07-2014 04:08 AM
    Hello everyone. I bought the app proshot June 7, try HDR mode on the Lumia 920 and I can not understand what's wrong doing. The result I was not happy. Attaching a photo taken with proshot and photo of a competing app.
    2014_06_09_17_08_14_proshot.jpg
    wp_20140609_4314.jpg
    RaRa85 likes this.
    06-09-2014 08:34 AM
    Hello everyone. I bought the app proshot June 7, try HDR mode on the Lumia 920 and I can not understand what's wrong doing. The result I was not happy. Attaching a photo taken with proshot and photo of a competing app.

Name:	2014_06_09_17_08_14_ProShot.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	68770

Name:	WP_20140609_4314.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	68771
    There's a lot of factors that could change the final output, but most importantly, your competing app seems to be applying a tone map to the final image, something that ProShot does not do. ProShot only blends the exposures.

What was your exposure bias? It looks like it was +/-3, which is why the image appears washed out. The best results come from using something around +/-1, in a scene that has a bright source as well as objects in shadow.
    Guytronic and HaibaneReki like this.
    06-09-2014 09:20 PM
    What was your exposure bias? It looks like it was +/-3, which is why the image appears washed out. The best results come from using something around +/-1, in a scene that has a bright source as well as objects in shadow.
    Thanks for the tip. Exposure bias was +/-2.
    06-10-2014 01:08 AM
    Failed attempt at one second exposure with main camera. Talk about a selfie.lol So I moved the camera too early.
    sister-act-109.jpg

And a self-correcting better second attempt. This is one second handheld with the main camera. Impressed! No edits.
    sister-act-110.jpg

This new spot my wife and I tried out last night. Only slight edits.
    sister-act-125e.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails sister-act-125.jpg  
    06-13-2014 01:36 PM
    Failed attempt at one second exposure with main camera. Talk about a selfie.lol So I moved the camera too early.

Name:	Sister Act 109.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	69111

And a self-correcting better second attempt. This is one second handheld with the main camera. Impressed! No edits.

Name:	Sister Act 110.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	69112

This new spot my wife and I tried out last night. Only slight edits.

Name:	Sister Act 125e.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	839.4 KB 
ID:	69114
    Front facing camera support coming in the next update! Should make things easier ;)
    RaRa85 likes this.
    06-14-2014 01:02 AM
    Can't wait. You're the best!
    06-14-2014 08:37 AM
2,260 ... 5859606162 ...