ProShot camera app.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
It took a lot of time to make the one that is currently there, but I am open to revisiting the design at a later date. Gotta get that EXIF working first!

Maybe you can start a little fan contest ;) Just let the users send in their suggestions for a new Icon and vote afterwards :) BTW: What about a Color picker for the live tile Color?

Love your app and voted for it :)

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
1. I just voted for you in Round 4. Good luck again. Best app there is!

2. Here's my ProShot pix for the day. The Golden Gate Bridge at sunrise. Shot using auto mode. RiseUpGames, we're actually neighbors. ;-) I'm in the Bay Area.

3. Does anyone else have this problem: During my bridge shoot, the viewfinder blacked out for several shots off and on. The camera controls UI is present but I have a black screen. And several shots of pure black were recorded without my involvement. I had to exit the app to reset the app.

4. If we're going to vote for small tile design, I like the new ones in v2.6

GoldenGateBridge_WP20130329_080943.jpg

mikeymcz

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
This was actually my initial approach, because it's the way most camera UIs handle those modes. It was here that I decided to create something new -- an always-on secondary shooting option that didn't need any extra menu navigation. I wanted the user to have instant and interchangeable access to a normal and a secondary shooting mode, so that is why I came up with the current system in ProShot. There is an icon to the left of the green busy indicator that informs you which is your current selected secondary mode.

While I do agree that this system may feel awkward at first, I'm confident that it will feel like second nature over time :)
I see your point here but this feature may be great for the pictures taken from the hand. However, imagine that you are using tripod and you put it onto some banister - you need to hold the tripod (you do not want to loose your phone), hold the display and press the shutter button. Maybe some checkbox to override the one shot on tapping the display? I do not what is the opinion of other users, maybe it is only me who is complaining. :)

Anyway, I have noticed that with my Lumia 920 I am just using your app to take the pictures, it is really great.

And some pictures taken using ProShot:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=891D9DC5C9DB93E8!1932&authkey=!ADNjqXpltwrPiGo

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=891D9DC5C9DB93E8!1945&authkey=!AOf9iFbbA2be5VE

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=891D9DC5C9DB93E8!1960&authkey=!AMmjP1VqB6sUxCg

Kriminal

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Yaaay....got my v2.6 uploaded Today. I presume, looking at my 'ticked boxes' that the stability function is now just automatic - which is great.

I can't say how pleased I am with this app, and if you're just looking in to get people's opinions on whether to BUY or not.......BUY IT....you won't look back, believe me. :winktongue:

Just a couple more from Today when we had a break through in the clouds, and the big yellow fella in the sky actually came out to say hello to the freezin' UK :

My favorite parking space at the gym (until the tree sap develops, which is when I move) :
2013_03_31_16_20_24_ProShot_zps1950ead2.jpg
....and a little 'cloudy' paintwork for fun :
2013_03_31_16_43_42_ProShot_zpse4cc7003.jpg

2013_03_31_16_43_54_ProShot_zps21003a22.jpg

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you can start a little fan contest ;) Just let the users send in their suggestions for a new Icon and vote afterwards :) BTW: What about a Color picker for the live tile Color?

Love your app and voted for it :)

That's something I can look into, but it'd probably have to be a little down the road. I should be focusing on the photography side of the app first :p

1. I just voted for you in Round 4. Good luck again. Best app there is!

2. Here's my ProShot pix for the day. The Golden Gate Bridge at sunrise. Shot using auto mode. RiseUpGames, we're actually neighbors. ;-) I'm in the Bay Area.

3. Does anyone else have this problem: During my bridge shoot, the viewfinder blacked out for several shots off and on. The camera controls UI is present but I have a black screen. And several shots of pure black were recorded without my involvement. I had to exit the app to reset the app.

4. If we're going to vote for small tile design, I like the new ones in v2.6

View attachment 31496

Hi neighbor! Glad to to see SF getting some clear skies, haha. It's such a beautiful city on a sunny day.

But oh no, that viewfinder blackout is really strange... has it happened to you (or anyone else here?) before? Does it consistently occur under the same shooting conditions (i.e. shooting at the sun?) I definitely want to find out what's causing it. Which phone are you using? If it's a 920, I'm going to be without one for the next week or so, so it'll be a while before I can test it out.

I see your point here but this feature may be great for the pictures taken from the hand. However, imagine that you are using tripod and you put it onto some banister - you need to hold the tripod (you do not want to loose your phone), hold the display and press the shutter button. Maybe some checkbox to override the one shot on tapping the display? I do not what is the opinion of other users, maybe it is only me who is complaining. :)

Anyway, I have noticed that with my Lumia 920 I am just using your app to take the pictures, it is really great.

And some pictures taken using ProShot:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=891D9DC5C9DB93E8!1932&authkey=!ADNjqXpltwrPiGo

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=891D9DC5C9DB93E8!1945&authkey=!AOf9iFbbA2be5VE

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=891D9DC5C9DB93E8!1960&authkey=!AMmjP1VqB6sUxCg

I'll have to look into this more and see if there's some sort of compromise that can be made, or if the entire process can be streamlined further. I'm always looking for ways to offer more functionality in fewer steps! :)

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I should be focusing on the photography side of the app first :p

I like that. I know you said earlier it would be very difficult to implement a light meter, but that's probably first on my wish list so I can get to a optimum shooting solution quickly. Anyway, just resurrecting an earlier suggestion. Thanks!

... has it happened to you (or anyone else here?) before? Does it consistently occur under the same shooting conditions (i.e. shooting at the sun?) I definitely want to find out what's causing it. Which phone are you using? If it's a 920, I'm going to be without one for the next week or so, so it'll be a while before I can test it out.

This has not happened before although I've shot this sunrise shot several times before but with earlier versions of ProShot. When I first launch ProShot, the splash screen comes on, then the UI over a black screen, and then finally the image from the camera comes on. IIRC, the blackout occurs when I wake the app up. In my photo shoot, I'm working with my Nikon first. When I have time, I'll pull out my 920 and capture a shot. Then I'll hit the power button to put the phone to sleep with the app still on and go back to the Nikon. Later, I'll go back to the 920 and hit the power button to wake the 920. The UI over the black screen comes on and many times the camera image then comes up. Several times though, the camera image never showed up.

A possible secondary issue seems to be power consumption during this sleep mode. During this Golden Gate Bridge shoot, I spent about 3 hours shooting the sunrise with my Nikon. During this time, I shot about 20 shots with the 920 using the use case above. I started the morning with the 920 fully charged. At the end of 3 hours, my 920 battery was critically low after doing nothing except shooting the 20 shots. No calls, no texting, no other apps, no other activity.

Hope this helps you solve the problem. Thanks for your help!

sabbynair

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I updated to v2.6 and hit the blackscreen issue. I tried taking a 4 sec shutter speed shot during the day with -2 exposure and my screen went black. I exited the app and tried the normal camera app and that also had only a black screen. I had to restart my phone to make my camera or the app work.

Edit : Forgot to mention one thing. I got a call during the 4 seconds that the camera had the shutter open and I rejected the call. When it came back to the UI, the screen had gone black.

Last edited:

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello RiseUpGames,

I love Proshot (one of the best bargains on the wp store); however, my 920 heats up really bad each time I use the app. Is there any way this could be addressed?

Thank you so much in advance! (for the whole app itself and responding to our questions).

darylwpc

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Bought this app because I wanted to try out the manual focus. It works great. However, my 920 got extremely hot afterwards. Did anyone else experience this?

I just downloaded a trial and I have the same problem. All I did was go through the tutorial and explore the settings and the phone got really really hot.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Aaahh thank you everyone! Made it to Round 5 this is insane! Thank you thank for all of your support!

Sorry I've been gone for a few days. I didn't want to come back here until I had good news to report about EXIF. Which means...

*** EXIF is back!! ***

It's been a crazy struggle trying to preserve it, the JPEG spec is weird. I still need to run more tests on this, but it's in all likelyhood I'll have this update ready for download sometime next week :)

I like that. I know you said earlier it would be very difficult to implement a light meter, but that's probably first on my wish list so I can get to a optimum shooting solution quickly. Anyway, just resurrecting an earlier suggestion. Thanks!

This has not happened before although I've shot this sunrise shot several times before but with earlier versions of ProShot. When I first launch ProShot, the splash screen comes on, then the UI over a black screen, and then finally the image from the camera comes on. IIRC, the blackout occurs when I wake the app up. In my photo shoot, I'm working with my Nikon first. When I have time, I'll pull out my 920 and capture a shot. Then I'll hit the power button to put the phone to sleep with the app still on and go back to the Nikon. Later, I'll go back to the 920 and hit the power button to wake the 920. The UI over the black screen comes on and many times the camera image then comes up. Several times though, the camera image never showed up.

A possible secondary issue seems to be power consumption during this sleep mode. During this Golden Gate Bridge shoot, I spent about 3 hours shooting the sunrise with my Nikon. During this time, I shot about 20 shots with the 920 using the use case above. I started the morning with the 920 fully charged. At the end of 3 hours, my 920 battery was critically low after doing nothing except shooting the 20 shots. No calls, no texting, no other apps, no other activity.

Hope this helps you solve the problem. Thanks for your help!

It pains me to say that a light meter simply is not possible. Developers don't have access to the light hitting the sensor, only the video stream that is made after the light hits the sensor. Since this video gains up and down depending on the brightness of the image, it won't be possible to add a light meter :/

Thanks for the detailed report about how you use ProShot, I'll recreate your steps and see what I can do about it.

Hmm, I'm wondering about that excessive battery drain. There was an issue with v2.4 that was caused by not releasing the accelerometer when the app is suspended under lock screen, but I've done thorough testing on the Lumia 920 with ProShot under lock and after 8 hours, found zero battery drain (with the phone in airplane mode). I'll have to revisit my tests and try it with different settings configurations.

Hi,
I updated to v2.6 and hit the blackscreen issue. I tried taking a 4 sec shutter speed shot during the day with -2 exposure and my screen went black. I exited the app and tried the normal camera app and that also had only a black screen. I had to restart my phone to make my camera or the app work.

Edit : Forgot to mention one thing. I got a call during the 4 seconds that the camera had the shutter open and I rejected the call. When it came back to the UI, the screen had gone black.

The phone call is definitely the cause of the problem. The camera hardware freaks out if an image capture is interrupted by a phone call. I'm not sure what can be done about that, but I will file a bug report with Microsoft.

Hello RiseUpGames,

I love Proshot (one of the best bargains on the wp store); however, my 920 heats up really bad each time I use the app. Is there any way this could be addressed?

Just a little background before we begin :p

ProShot delivers the absolute highest quality visual experience possible on Windows Phone. It taps into your phone's GPU for real-time HD effects like black and white, and contrast / saturation adjustment. No other app out there offers this at HD resolution (Camera360 and SophieLens, though wonderful apps, all run at 640x480 or 640x360). Because I wanted HD devices to have HD visuals, the power requirements are higher.

When running, ProShot maxes out one of two threads (think of threads as lines of code execution). It leaves the second thread relatively untouched. You can say that ProShot uses approximately 50% of the CPU on HD devices like the Lumia 920 or 8X. These power requirements are actually less than some games.

Having said all of that, I have run thorough tests with ProShot on two Lumia 920s, and while the phone does get warm, I found it to be no different than playing a game. Up until v2.5, the phone definitely got hot during normal use (it was maxing out both threads), but with v2.5 I was able to cut CPU usage in half.

Ah, sorry for being too wordy. Do you have v2.5+ installed? How hot does your device get, and after how long of normal use? Were you playing games or placing a phone call before using ProShot? Do you live in a very hot environment?

Requesting RiseUpGames makes the option to pin the different profiles with different aspect ratios.

This would not be hard to do, but it would require me to change the way I handle aspect ratios. Currently, they are global values, and not tied to individual modes. In testing, I found that it confused users if each mode (Auto, P, M, C1, C2) had different aspect ratio options. Plus, all 'pro' cameras I've used so far don't assign custom aspect ratios to camera modes. I really dislike saying 'no' to a feature request, but I don't think this is one I see making it :(

darylwpc

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing a severe heating problem. I downloaded the trial to test yesterday and found out that all I need to do is to turn on the app and it starts to heat up really fast - this is noticeable within a few seconds of turning it on. I do have the level and grid lines turned on but other than that, no special effects. I'm on the auto mode.

I bought the Lumia 920 mainly for the camera and Pro Shot is an app I am considering buying. But the current overheating issue is a problem for me. I'm guessing whatever is overheating the phone should also be rapidly draining the battery. And it is not just playing-games-for-one-hour hot, it gets much hotter than playing games and all I need to do is to open the app and wait 10 seconds.

ProShot delivers the absolute highest quality visual experience possible on Windows Phone. It taps into your phone's GPU for real-time HD effects like black and white, and contrast / saturation adjustment. No other app out there offers this at HD resolution (Camera360 and SophieLens, though wonderful apps, all run at 640x480 or 640x360). Because I wanted HD devices to have HD visuals, the power requirements are higher.

I haven't made any effects adjustments.

Having said all of that, I have run thorough tests with ProShot on two Lumia 920s, and while the phone does get warm, I found it to be no different than playing a game. Up until v2.5, the phone definitely got hot during normal use (it was maxing out both threads), but with v2.5 I was able to cut CPU usage in half.

My Lumia 920 actually heats up a greater deal compared to playing ByeByeBrains. The latter only gets hot after playing for a while. Even so, it never gets as hot as Pro Shot.

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Aaahh thank you everyone! Made it to Round 5 this is insane! Thank you thank for all of your support!

Sorry I've been gone for a few days. I didn't want to come back here until I had good news to report about EXIF. Which means...

*** EXIF is back!! ***

It's been a crazy struggle trying to preserve it, the JPEG spec is weird. I still need to run more tests on this, but it's in all likelyhood I'll have this update ready for download sometime next week :)

It pains me to say that a light meter simply is not possible. Developers don't have access to the light hitting the sensor, only the video stream that is made after the light hits the sensor. Since this video gains up and down depending on the brightness of the image, it won't be possible to add a light meter :/

Thanks for the detailed report about how you use ProShot, I'll recreate your steps and see what I can do about it.

Hmm, I'm wondering about that excessive battery drain. There was an issue with v2.4 that was caused by not releasing the accelerometer when the app is suspended under lock screen, but I've done thorough testing on the Lumia 920 with ProShot under lock and after 8 hours, found zero battery drain (with the phone in airplane mode). I'll have to revisit my tests and try it with different settings configurations.

The phone call is definitely the cause of the problem. The camera hardware freaks out if an image capture is interrupted by a phone call. I'm not sure what can be done about that, but I will file a bug report with Microsoft.

Just a little background before we begin :p

When running, ProShot maxes out one of two threads (think of threads as lines of code execution). It leaves the second thread relatively untouched. You can say that ProShot uses approximately 50% of the CPU on HD devices like the Lumia 920 or 8X. These power requirements are actually less than some games.

Ah, sorry for being too wordy. Do you have v2.5+ installed? How hot does your device get, and after how long of normal use? Were you playing games or placing a phone call before using ProShot? Do you live in a very hot environment?

This would not be hard to do, but it would require me to change the way I handle aspect ratios. Currently, they are global values, and not tied to individual modes. In testing, I found that it confused users if each mode (Auto, P, M, C1, C2) had different aspect ratio options. Plus, all 'pro' cameras I've used so far don't assign custom aspect ratios to camera modes. I really dislike saying 'no' to a feature request, but I don't think this is one I see making it :(

Never used Proshot with any other app. It also heats up more than Puzzle Craft.

I gave it another it another shot with the update after you posted this and it doesn't heat as much as before. Thanks RiseUpGames! voted for you all the way for this great app!

teng_m

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Do you still accept request for the Proshot?
I was wondering if you could add a preview of the exposure before taking the shot just like a canon camera when using the full manual? When you adjust the shutter speed and the manual white balance, we could estimate what the outcome of the picture will be without much trial and error
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo