ProShot camera app.

deepblue82

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
@RiseUpGames
ProShot is in round 5 of Next App Star and (as everytime so far) leading, you'll win this thing for sure!

One adittion (if I may ask you) for this great piece of software:
Noticed the higher resolution photos with the last update and I'm loving it. If it's possible, could you implement a zoom-out feature that goes beyond the actual full screen display mode? The built-in photo viewer has such functionality and I find it quite comfortable. In this case you can view 2 photos side-by-side and the scrolling is much quicker to go through you collection of taken photos. Imo, would be a great feature!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
all I need to do is to turn on the app and it starts to heat up really fast - this is noticeable within a few seconds of turning it on. I do have the level and grid lines turned on but other than that, no special effects. I'm on the auto mode.

Hmm, I'm wondering if the level has something to do with it. In earlier versions when I wasn't handling the accelerometer properly after users navigated away from the app, it was causing battery drain and some heating. Does it still heat up if you don't use the level? Perhaps that is something I'd need to look into.

Do you still accept request for the Proshot?
I was wondering if you could add a preview of the exposure before taking the shot just like a canon camera when using the full manual? When you adjust the shutter speed and the manual white balance, we could estimate what the outcome of the picture will be without much trial and error
Thanks

I'm always accepting requests :)

A live-view mode that takes into account the shutter speed is my most-missed feature when moving from pro cameras to mobile. Alas, such a feature is not possible with the current Microsoft Camera API :(

@RiseUpGames
ProShot is in round 5 of Next App Star and (as everytime so far) leading, you'll win this thing for sure!

One adittion (if I may ask you) for this great piece of software:
Noticed the higher resolution photos with the last update and I'm loving it. If it's possible, could you implement a zoom-out feature that goes beyond the actual full screen display mode? The built-in photo viewer has such functionality and I find it quite comfortable. In this case you can view 2 photos side-by-side and the scrolling is much quicker to go through you collection of taken photos. Imo, would be a great feature!

I would definitely like to do more with the current media gallery, including adding features such as this. I am still going to be focusing on the photography side for a while, but I hope to trickle in a few updates to it here and there :)

pojofi

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
What has happened to EXIF data in ProShot? Photos shot at early March (and before that) includes EXIF data, but all my recent pics have only GPS info.
L920/ProShotv2.6

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Voted for you finally on Next App Star

I'm sorry but if we're going to be featuring a windows phone 8 app on an actual commercial, why the **** would we show off an app that is exactly like any other app you can get on any other platform?

Stuff like ProShot is what makes Windows Phone 8 standout for me, it really is a "killer app" in my eyes. Those are the kinds of apps we need. Amazing Weather HD is great and all and the best weather app on any platform... but let's be honest, when it comes down to it, I can get weather information on any platform or just by doing a quick search about it on google. ProShot is an app that is actually unique to windows phone 8, does something really awesome and useful (aka make my phone work like a DSLR camera, which is brilliant when you consider the fact that a good chunk of windows phones have some of the best phone cameras on the phone market), and something that was a total no brainer for me to buy (and I don't usually buy apps!).

That's the kind of stuff that deserves to be a finalist. Not stuff that's just a copy of everything else already avalble on other platforms, or that can be replaced by simply visiting a website. I can't just go to a website or go to another platform to do ProShot functions. I have to use the ProShot app on WP8, and that's why it deserves to win. Wikipedia? Seriously? Why not just GO TO WIKIPEDIA? Amazing Weather HD? Great app, but really... I can just google weather information and get the same information. WPCentral App? I'm sure it's nice, but why don't I just... visit WPCentral and get the same purpose served from anywhere? Proshot is a legitimately useful app where the app itself is what's good about it. It's not just an aggregator for something easily avalable online, it's a tool. And a tool that you can only get on WP8. It'd be such an obvious and unique angle for MS to push Windows Phone 8 advertising - "hey, you guys have awesome camera phones. Well only windows phone 8 has this awesome camera phone app that makes it work just like the pro's"

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
What has happened to EXIF data in ProShot? Photos shot at early March (and before that) includes EXIF data, but all my recent pics have only GPS info.
L920/ProShotv2.6

Yes, I'm really sorry about that. Microsoft's Camera API (while pretty darn good in many ways), made it really hard for me to preserve EXIF once I added the contrast / saturation options. Good news is, I've managed to fix that! It'll ship with the next update, which should be done here in the next few days.

for some reason when I'm using my 920 with ProShot, it gets pretty hot after a while

I'm doing some more investigative work into figuring out ways to reduce the workload on these CPUs. I've found that the tutorial (for some reason) was maxing out both CPUs, and I am trying to address this issue with v2.6.5. The level may be contributing to the heat as well (**maybe**) Other than that, ProShot's power requirements are actually pretty close to the default camera....I am using the same functions that the default camera uses to display video, and that is the bulk of the CPU load right there.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm doing some more investigative work into figuring out ways to reduce the workload on these CPUs. I've found that the tutorial (for some reason) was maxing out both CPUs, and I am trying to address this issue with v2.6.5. The level may be contributing to the heat as well (**maybe**) Other than that, ProShot's power requirements are actually pretty close to the default camera....I am using the same functions that the default camera uses to display video, and that is the bulk of the CPU load right there.
wow, thanks for the info. About sharing the CPU load, hopefully we get to see the GPU get used for such computationally intensive operations in the near future, using OpenGL or whatever GPGPU APIs WP supports/ will support. But yeah, I know we're at least a couple years away from that happening.

pojofi

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm really sorry about that. Microsoft's Camera API (while pretty darn good in many ways), made it really hard for me to preserve EXIF once I added the contrast / saturation options. Good news is, I've managed to fix that! It'll ship with the next update, which should be done here in the next few days.
Very good news. You really have earned all those 5 stars. :)

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
wow, thanks for the info. About sharing the CPU load, hopefully we get to see the GPU get used for such computationally intensive operations in the near future, using OpenGL or whatever GPGPU APIs WP supports/ will support. But yeah, I know we're at least a couple years away from that happening.

Actually, ProShot does use the GPU and DirectX ^_^ The formula for calculating saturation involves a squareroot, the most computationally expensive single operation that can be done on a number. Spread that over 1280x720 pixels at 30+ FPS and there's no way it could be done without shaders. ProShot is definitely an extremely advanced camera operating system. And I can't wait to show you all what's next :)

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Actually, ProShot does use the GPU and DirectX ^_^ The formula for calculating saturation involves a squareroot, the most computationally expensive single operation that can be done on a number. Spread that over 1280x720 pixels at 30+ FPS and there's no way it could be done without shaders. ProShot is definitely an extremely advanced camera operating system. And I can't wait to show you all what's next :)
wow, this app's stock price keeps going up. :) is there a way (does HW and WP support it that is) this app can take multiple shots with different exposures and create an HDR image using the GPU's power? :)
Edit: so the heating-up issue might be due to lack of CPU and GPU power optimizations in WP. With the rush to get these devices to market, that's one area MSFT didn't prioritize. I know there is a lot of scope for improvements, especially given the fact that these S4 chips support power optimization technology such as Dynamic Clock Voltage Scaling (DCVS) that WP is in all likelihood not currently utilizing. That's the reason computationally intensive tasks like games and GPS heat up the phones a lot.

Last edited:

ipecek

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Awesome app. Worth the money. Just wanted to ask if there is (or will be) a possibility to delete photos right from the app (share is the only option available)?
I would also like to be able to use the manual focus differently. Slide left-right or up-down instead of doing it through the menu.

Heat issue on 820 also present. Worried me a bit for a second, then I found this thread. Will continue to track the app's progress. Great work so far!

Last edited:

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi riseup, do you think you can have access to camera to enable recording video function? With all of your current manual settings, I'd die to have such settings for recording videos :) I'd even buy it

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
wow, this app's stock price keeps going up. :) is there a way (does HW and WP support it that is) this app can take multiple shots with different exposures and create an HDR image using the GPU's power? :)
Edit: so the heating-up issue might be due to lack of CPU and GPU power optimizations in WP. With the rush to get these devices to market, that's one area MSFT didn't prioritize. I know there is a lot of scope for improvements, especially given the fact that these S4 chips support power optimization technology such as Dynamic Clock Voltage Scaling (DCVS) that WP is in all likelihood not currently utilizing. That's the reason computationally intensive tasks like games and GPS heat up the phones a lot.

HDR is possible with the current API, but it's incredibly slow. The fastest I was able to get it going was something like 0.7fps on the Lumia 920, and 4 seconds for a 3-shot HDR is not the kind of performance users expect from ProShot. I can see from the code documentation that Microsoft is working on getting developers some better functionality in this regard, but I am not sure when or if it will become available.

To be honest, I'm not sure the heating issue is even an issue, any electronic device heats up under load. For the first couple of years, Sony's SLT cameras couldn't record more than 9 minutes of video because the internals would overheat. I think the same thing happened to a few generations of Canon cameras as well.

These phones may get warm under load, but I can't see them possibly overheating (overheating means hardware damage). They were tested under extreme conditions to be able to handle this kind of stuff.

Awesome app. Worth the money. Just wanted to ask if there is (or will be) a possibility to delete photos right from the app (share is the only option available)?
I would also like to be able to use the manual focus differently. Slide left-right or up-down instead of doing it through the menu.

Heat issue on 820 also present. Worried me a bit for a second, then I found this thread. Will continue to track the app's progress. Great work so far!

Currently, Microsoft does not allow developers to delete photos once they have been saved to the camera roll. It's for security reasons so malicious code doesn't go wild deleting everything, but I am hoping that I can get an exception granted for ProShot. If I win Next App Star, perhaps I will have their attention :)

Hi riseup, do you think you can have access to camera to enable recording video function? With all of your current manual settings, I'd die to have such settings for recording videos :) I'd even buy it

The more I look at the video API, the less I want to work with it (for now). I don't like how developers aren't allowed to save video to the camera roll yet, only to space that's internal to the app.

As far as capabilities go, the video options are quite a bit more limited than the photo options, I'm afraid.
I'll be tracking the changes to the API and will work on video when things get a little more fleshed out.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I'm not sure the heating issue is even an issue, any electronic device heats up under load. For the first couple of years, Sony's SLT cameras couldn't record more than 9 minutes of video because the internals would overheat. I think the same thing happened to a few generations of Canon cameras as well.

I don't think anyone needs to really be worried about heating issue, I had a Note 2 to try for the weekend from work and to be honest that thing heats up like a mofo but the fact that the area where it heats up (camera area) is not even closed to where your hands are so people don't actually "complain" about it because they don't notice it at all.

anyway <3 your app again =D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers