ProShot camera app.

ponczo

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Love that eye close-up shot. Brilliant! What settings did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

Manual Focus, iso 100, white balance day, shutter auto. Then I crop the photo only to an eye and edit the photo in Nokia Creative Studio :)

2013_04_14_14_37_20_ProShot20130414205334.jpg

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Bought this app yesterday.
Just wondering, can the cpu usage be reduced even more? I know that a few updates back the cpu usage was cut, but just wondering if it could be cut further to just to reduce battery consumption a tad bit more.

I could, but it would only be useful on high-res phones like the 8X or 920, and would severely degrade the quality of the viewfinder. I guess the other option would be to rewrite the entire UI (in DirectX), but that'd be a nightmare, and it would severely delay a lot of the more useful features I have lined up for ProShot.

I do plan (hope?) on doing both of these at some point, but for the time being I must focus on bug fixes and adding more features.

Please add the ability to do preflash to alleviate red eyes.

Thank you for the suggestion! But unfortunately, I can't add this. Microsoft doesn't give developers direct access to the flash other than On / Off / Auto.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, RiseUpGames. I just installed the trial of ProShot (v. 2.6.5) and did the tutorial. My phone, a Lumia 920, became extremely and uncomfortably hot, hotter than I've ever felt it before. I could feel it heating up within a minute of opening the app. I thought this latest update included a fix for the "tutorial heat issues". Just thought you should know it didn't work on my phone. After the tutorial, I explored the settings for a few minutes, and my phone just kept getting hotter. I finally just exited out of the app to let my phone cool off. My battery drained substantially too in that short amount of time. I'll try opening the app and playing around with the settings again tomorrow to see if my phone heats up a lot again. If it does, I may have to pass on this app for now. I really don't want my phone turning into a hot potato every time I want to take some pictures. It's a really feature-rich app though.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, RiseUpGames. I just installed the trial of ProShot (v. 2.6.5) and did the tutorial. My phone, a Lumia 920, became extremely and uncomfortably hot, hotter than I've ever felt it before. I could feel it heating up within a minute of opening the app. I thought this latest update included a fix for the "tutorial heat issues". Just thought you should know it didn't work on my phone. After the tutorial, I explored the settings for a few minutes, and my phone just kept getting hotter. I finally just exited out of the app to let my phone cool off. My battery drained substantially too in that short amount of time. I'll try opening the app and playing around with the settings again tomorrow to see if my phone heats up a lot again. If it does, I may have to pass on this app for now. I really don't want my phone turning into a hot potato every time I want to take some pictures. It's a really feature-rich app though.

I've been without a Lumia 920 for a few weeks, so I haven't been able to test 2.6.5 on it. I think the 3D level gauge may be the cause of some heat, try using the app without that option on and let me know how it goes.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just ran the tutorial, and did not notice any overheating on my L920. The phone just got a little warm near the camera region but nothing more. Moreover, I used ProShot all evening this past Saturday for taking photos around town and completely drained my battery in the process, but never felt like the phone overheated on me.
Could the overheating issue be related to which firmware version one is running on the phone? I'm running the latest 1314.

mikeymcz

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi RiseUpGames,
Today I was using ProShot for about 3 hours - I tool around 300 pictures. However, I have experienced many crashes. I was suspending the app when I was changing the location. Sometimes during the resuming the application just crashed - no message, no warning. I used fully manual mode. I have noticed that when the shutter time was set to auto then the possibillity of the crash was a bit smaller. I have also had some crashes when the photos were being saved.
And I must say that I have not experienced any "hot" issue during this time. I need to check my photos in PC and I will tweet some later today.
M.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Bam!

wp_ss_20130415_0001.jpg

Edit:

Here's the context: I'd emailed Steve Ballmer about how amazing ProShot is, how popular it is in the WP community and how it had beaten other amazing apps on its way to the finals of the Next App Star competition, and how it would be in Microsoft's best interest to promote this unique and powerful app, although it hadn't won the competition. This is the second reply I received from Microsoft. Looks like this app is getting all the attention it deserves from folks at Microsoft. :)

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi RiseUpGames,
Today I was using ProShot for about 3 hours - I tool around 300 pictures. However, I have experienced many crashes. I was suspending the app when I was changing the location. Sometimes during the resuming the application just crashed - no message, no warning. I used fully manual mode. I have noticed that when the shutter time was set to auto then the possibillity of the crash was a bit smaller. I have also had some crashes when the photos were being saved.
And I must say that I have not experienced any "hot" issue during this time. I need to check my photos in PC and I will tweet some later today.
M.

Thank you for the report! When you say the application crashes, does it just die and exit by itself? I'll definitely look into this...
As far as the image saving crash is concerned, it's a (rare) bug with Microsoft's code. I've taken an extra cautionary step in the next version (2.7) to avoid this.

I must say...300 pictures! Holy cow! Many compact cameras that come out these days are rated around 325 images per charge, so I'm really impressed you got that out of a phone! (and my app no less) :D

I don't know if many people know this, but at the bottom of the 'Abt' panel, there's a little section that keeps track of the number of pictures taken. Just a fun random thing I threw in there..

Bam!

View attachment 32382

Edit:

Here's the context: I'd emailed Steve Ballmer about how amazing ProShot is, how popular it is in the WP community and how it had beaten other amazing apps on its way to the finals of the Next App Star competition, and how it would be in Microsoft's best interest to promote this unique and powerful app, although it hadn't won the competition. This is the second reply I received from Microsoft. Looks like this app is getting all the attention it deserves from folks at Microsoft. :)

Aaah, thank you so much! Stuff like this is incredibly important for ProShot and its users. As a small developer, I can only go so far with the API, and anything beyond that would need specific approval from Microsoft (like a delete button).

The more people who write and tweet Microsoft about how much they enjoy ProShot, the higher the chances that I can get Microsoft's attention and get the access I need to take this app to a whole new level. Thanks again!!!!

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The more people who write and tweet Microsoft about how much they enjoy ProShot, the higher the chances that I can get Microsoft's attention and get the access I need to take this app to a whole new level. Thanks again!!!!

Todd Brix's Twitter handle is @toddbrix (this is completely public btw, google his name). The more the tweets containing @RiseUpGaimes and #ProShotApp go his way, the sooner this app will get better access to features like access to physical camera button and ability to delete photos.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been without a Lumia 920 for a few weeks, so I haven't been able to test 2.6.5 on it. I think the 3D level gauge may be the cause of some heat, try using the app without that option on and let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply. I started the tutorial upon first opening the app, so I'm assuming that the 3D level gauge was off. After I finished the tutorial and played around with the settings, I did turn the level on for about a minute just to see what it would do. Other than that, it was always off.

So today, I opened the app and played around with the settings for 20 minutes. Since I have the trial, I can't save any pictures. I did get a small "saving" indicator in the bottom right corner when I "took" a picture that just kept spinning and spinning. Don't know if that could be contributing to some of the heat. Maybe the app gets stuck trying to save the photo, but can't since I only have the trial.
My phone did get really hot around the camera area again. Not what I would describe as just "warm". In that 20 minutes of just fiddling with settings and taking pretend pictures, my phone battery level dropped 13%. Is that normal? Obviously, I'd expect this app to consume some battery power, but I'm not sure if the drainage I experienced is extreme or not.
Oh, and to answer aaa6112's post, I am running the latest 1314 firmware on my L920.

I still haven't decided if I want to purchase the app or not. The overheating and battery drainage causes me some concern, but to be honest, I'm not sure I really need all the functionality that ProShot offers. I take pictures pretty infrequently, and so far, my default camera has served me well and takes good pictures. I can always do some post-processing tweaks if need be. About the only thing I wish it had is a manual focus option. Other than that, I'm happy to just point and shoot and let the camera do the thinking. :)

There's a rumor that Nokia is planning to include a new Nokia Smart Camera Lens in the PR2.0 update, which will supposedly allow a user to change camera settings like shutter speed and manual white balance. I think I'll just wait to see what Nokia comes up with. Here's one of the articles I found:
Exclusive: First look at Nokia's Smart Camera Lens for Lumia Windows Phone 8 PR 2.0 | UnleashThePhones

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I started the tutorial upon first opening the app, so I'm assuming that the 3D level gauge was off. After I finished the tutorial and played around with the settings, I did turn the level on for about a minute just to see what it would do. Other than that, it was always off.

So today, I opened the app and played around with the settings for 20 minutes. Since I have the trial, I can't save any pictures. I did get a small "saving" indicator in the bottom right corner when I "took" a picture that just kept spinning and spinning. Don't know if that could be contributing to some of the heat. Maybe the app gets stuck trying to save the photo, but can't since I only have the trial.
My phone did get really hot around the camera area again. Not what I would describe as just "warm". In that 20 minutes of just fiddling with settings and taking pretend pictures, my phone battery level dropped 13%. Is that normal? Obviously, I'd expect this app to consume some battery power, but I'm not sure if the drainage I experienced is extreme or not.
Oh, and to answer aaa6112's post, I am running the latest 1314 firmware on my L920.

I still haven't decided if I want to purchase the app or not. The overheating and battery drainage causes me some concern, but to be honest, I'm not sure I really need all the functionality that ProShot offers. I take pictures pretty infrequently, and so far, my default camera has served me well and takes good pictures. I can always do some post-processing tweaks if need be. About the only thing I wish it had is a manual focus option. Other than that, I'm happy to just point and shoot and let the camera do the thinking. :)

There's a rumor that Nokia is planning to include a new Nokia Smart Camera Lens in the PR2.0 update, which will supposedly allow a user to change camera settings like shutter speed and manual white balance. I think I'll just wait to see what Nokia comes up with. Here's one of the articles I found:
Exclusive: First look at Nokia's Smart Camera Lens for Lumia Windows Phone 8 PR 2.0 | UnleashThePhones

Ooohh, I see the problem now! It's that spinner. Since it doesn't stop spinning (in the trial version), it puts a huge tax on the UI thread (silverlight animations are weird like that). The video feed already maxes out the composition thread, so now you've got both threads maxed out and that's what's causing the excessive heat.

In the trial version, images are not allowed to be saved, so that's why the "saving" spinner just keeps on going. I'll fix that in the next update.
-------------------

If the information you posted in that link is true, it may be a good thing for consumers, cause it will probably be a free app.
But it will be devastating for developers like me.

I gave up everything for Windows Phone development. I poured my heart and soul into ProShot, took a huge gamble, and it's literally the only thing I have that's putting food on my table.
And now Nokia wants to offer the same thing, for free. This is horrible.

Sorry for being melodramatic. I guess I'm only human.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ooohh, I see the problem now! It's that spinner. Since it doesn't stop spinning (in the trial version), it puts a huge tax on the UI thread (silverlight animations are weird like that). The video feed already maxes out the composition thread, so now you've got both threads maxed out and that's what's causing the excessive heat.

In the trial version, images are not allowed to be saved, so that's why the "saving" spinner just keeps on going. I'll fix that in the next update.
-------------------

If the information you posted in that link is true, it may be a good thing for consumers, cause it will probably be a free app.
But it will be devastating for developers like me.

I gave up everything for Windows Phone development. I poured my heart and soul into ProShot, took a huge gamble, and it's literally the only thing I have that's putting food on my table.
And now Nokia wants to offer the same thing, for free. This is horrible.

Sorry for being melodramatic. I guess I'm only human.

I had a suspicion that "saving" spinner that kept spinning was contributing to the heating problem. I do hope you're able to fix that in the next update, otherwise other people that try the app may mistakenly think it causes excessive overheating and not buy it. Do you think the spinner also contributed to the battery drain I experienced?

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news (if that article is true). I tipped WPCentral about it, but they haven't reported on it yet. Maybe they're still fact-checking to see if there is any truth to it. And if it is true, Nokia's app may not be as feature-rich as yours. Also, this supposed Smart Camera app is only for Nokia Lumia phones running WP8, so all the HTC and Samsung phones out there will still need ProShot. And the Nokia owners may still prefer your app anyway. It's a great app, after all.

mikeymcz

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the report! When you say the application crashes, does it just die and exit by itself? I'll definitely look into this...
As far as the image saving crash is concerned, it's a (rare) bug with Microsoft's code. I've taken an extra cautionary step in the next version (2.7) to avoid this.
I must say...300 pictures! Holy cow! Many compact cameras that come out these days are rated around 325 images per charge, so I'm really impressed you got that out of a phone! (and my app no less) :D
I don't know if many people know this, but at the bottom of the 'Abt' panel, there's a little section that keeps track of the number of pictures taken. Just a fun random thing I threw in there..
Yes, it dies and exit by itself. The app is resumed and after a while (one second or two) it just shuts down. The saving issue occured only few times, so it is not a problem for me.
The about tab says:
Power On: 26
Num Shots: 331
(I was reinstalling the ProShot last week)

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
@RiseUpGames, Hi, I just bought Pic Lock Ultimate app and that app can save picture in completely different folder, it can create folders, move images from folder to folder and so on.... That is on my wish list for ProShot 3 :) to create folders and save images in folders automatically, and moving from folder to folder....

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had a suspicion that "saving" spinner that kept spinning was contributing to the heating problem. I do hope you're able to fix that in the next update, otherwise other people that try the app may mistakenly think it causes excessive overheating and not buy it. Do you think the spinner also contributed to the battery drain I experienced?

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news (if that article is true). I tipped WPCentral about it, but they haven't reported on it yet. Maybe they're still fact-checking to see if there is any truth to it. And if it is true, Nokia's app may not be as feature-rich as yours. Also, this supposed Smart Camera app is only for Nokia Lumia phones running WP8, so all the HTC and Samsung phones out there will still need ProShot. And the Nokia owners may still prefer your app anyway. It's a great app, after all.
Except he doesn't support Samsung. :angry:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786