ProShot camera app.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
A few night shots. All shot using ProShot and edited with Fotor (one-tap fix + a filter).

YtO6zQAh.jpg

fXnycYuh.jpg

bT6gNl5h.jpg

e0NoYxah.jpg

6nagz3wh.jpg

fEiKSCeh.jpg

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
v2.7 Update: Shooooot....

Bought the Lumia 521 yesterday from WalMart ($130?? ridiculous!). Ran ProShot through its paces and discovered that the app runs out of memoryextremely quickly on 512MB RAM devices, and this seems to be the main cause of the program crashing. The problem is compounded by the fact that (without getting into too much detail) there is a memory leak in Microsoft's API that has yet to be patched in any official manner. I think I mentioned earlier that I was going to have 2.7 done by the end of the week, but now I'm not so sure. This memory issue may take a while to iron out. Sorry everyone :(

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
v2.7 Update: Shooooot....

Bought the Lumia 521 yesterday from WalMart ($130?? ridiculous!). Ran ProShot through its paces and discovered that the app runs out of memoryextremely quickly on 512MB RAM devices, and this seems to be the main cause of the program crashing. The problem is compounded by the fact that (without getting into too much detail) there is a memory leak in Microsoft's API that has yet to be patched in any official manner. I think I mentioned earlier that I was going to have 2.7 done by the end of the week, but now I'm not so sure. This memory issue may take a while to iron out. Sorry everyone :(

Is this the "System.OutOfMemoryException" error, or just the app crashing /closing abruptly without any error msg? I've been getting the "System.OutOfMemoryException" error msg consistently for the past few days now and last night I noticed that when I got that msg and I clicked on the OK button (as shown in attached screenshot), that little circle at the bottom right corner of the screen kept spinning and it endlessly tried saving a picture. Not sure if that was the cause of the issue or a side-effect. And of course, @winphonesupport opted the easy way out and asked me to work with you since it happens only with this one app.
Edit: Last night, I took about 200 photos and got that error msg when I was more than half way through. Does that give you any clue about app going out of bounds on memory? Thanks!

error_msg.jpg

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Is this the "System.OutOfMemoryException" error, or just the app crashing /closing abruptly without any error msg? I've been getting the "System.OutOfMemoryException" error msg consistently for the past few days now and last night I noticed that when I got that msg and I clicked on the OK button (as shown in attached screenshot), that little circle at the bottom right corner of the screen kept spinning and it endlessly tried saving a picture. Not sure if that was the cause of the issue or a side-effect. And of course, @winphonesupport opted the easy way out and asked me to work with you since it happens only with this one app.
Edit: Last night, I took about 200 photos and got that error msg when I was more than half way through. Does that give you any clue about app going out of bounds on memory? Thanks!

View attachment 33742

Yeah it's related to that. Sometimes the managed (C#) code will catch the exception (and you will get an error message), and sometimes the native (C++) code will throw the exception and the app just crashes.

I'm doing my best now to squeeze ProShot into a smaller memory footprint so that it can be run smoothly on all WP8 devices. Pressure's on, seems like the 520 is going to be a big success!

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
yea the 520 is a great success but it got a pretty low-end 5MP shooter so i doubt that it'll be able to capture much. plus most people who buy low-end products wouldn't spend $2 on a pro camera app anyway they'd stick to default. also they aren't bound to capture 200 pictures in one session so the 512MB shouldn't be much of a problem.
I suggest you focus on devices with high-end cameras like the 928, 920, 820, 822, 810.
do spend effort to make the app stable, but don't give too much priority to anything below the 800s because I believe most of your customers are owning 900s series

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
yea the 520 is a great success but it got a pretty low-end 5MP shooter so i doubt that it'll be able to capture much. plus most people who buy low-end products wouldn't spend $2 on a pro camera app anyway they'd stick to default. also they aren't bound to capture 200 pictures in one session so the 512MB shouldn't be much of a problem.
I suggest you focus on devices with high-end cameras like the 928, 920, 820, 822, 810.
do spend effort to make the app stable, but don't give too much priority to anything below the 800s because I believe most of your customers are owning 900s series
that's a lot of assumptions, my friend. I believe if an app is available on a particular device, it should perform well, regardless of whether the device is high-end or low-end. My 2 cents.

rohitsingh

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It seems the app works equally good on the Lumia 720. Here's a sample:

WP_20130512_007.jpg2013_05_12_21_32_21_ProShot.jpg

On the Left is the one with the default camera app. Flash off. Rest everything on auto.

On the Right is the ProShot app. Flash off, ISO 100, Exposure 4 seconds, rest auto.

Oh and both the pics were taken hand held from the same location

[Edit: I cant seem to upload full resolution images, they are getting downsized]

matt21484

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
just want to add that I bought this app as well for my 920 and love it so far. I've taken a few shots at night on my deck and it's amazing how much light the camera can capture. Here is a simple shot of a flower pot on the deck
WP_20130514_006.jpg

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I am so damn impressed and happy to see all of these awesome images!! It's been an agonizing week trying to get ProShot to work on low-memory devices, and your pics and posts have kept my spirits up. Good news is I think I've finally had a breakthrough, and the hard work came with a few extra bonuses: improved overall stability, more efficient code, and fast app resume - even on low-memory devices (the instant-on is soo good).

There is a known memory leak with Direct3D + XAML + fast app resume apps (it leaks a few MB each time it's resumed), which means it will eventually run out of memory. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about this as it's an API issue, but Microsoft does say that a fix is coming.

I've yet to run a full test on the code, but it seems like phones with 1GB RAM may rarely (if ever) see the error. The lower spec'd phones may run out of memory sooner, so I'm going to add a popup to warn the user that memory is low and that they should restart the app (having fast app resume is well worth this small price, IMO).

Things are finally looking good for 2.7, and if all goes well it should be finished by the end of the day! I'll post the full changelog when it's done.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Whelp, after I put all of the code together and tested things out, it seems like the leak is monumentally more than a few MB. Still trying to figure out what else can be done...

In the meantime, I'm changing the tiny icons and can't decide which to go with. Which do you all prefer? Or do you dislike them both?

Option 1:
icons1.png

Option 2:
icons2.png

Thank you!

Last edited:

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The first one looks a lot more professional as the 2nd one gives the first impression that it's cut off.
Great work by the way. Every time I feel down I always visit this thread to look at all of the excellent images and get motivation from your tremendous dedication. You deserve 10X the downloads of your app :)

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Whelp, after I put all of the code together and tested things out, it seems like the leak is monumentally more than a few MB. Still trying to figure out what else can be done...

In the meantime, I'm changing the tiny icons and can't decide which to go with. Which do you all prefer? Or do you dislike them both?

Option 1:
View attachment 34013

Option 2:
View attachment 34014

Thank you!
option 1.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
is it possible for the large live tile to not show the proshot logo? I use it as a replacement for the photos app's slideshow and most of the time when I scroll down my home screen all I see is proshot logo instead of my photos haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo