ProShot camera app.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I posted a few more night shots taken with ProShot over in the 521 forum -->Here. On almost all of these, I let ProShot do all the work (Auto). There's no OIS on the 521, so used a tripod. Still some bounce when I tap the screen though.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Good tip, mike. I have also used the voice cam app, but not sure I can run it with ProShot at teh same time.

Last edited:

djmuzi

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Quick question, what do you think about this UI color change? I am planning on changing the menu to black, and only using color for certain accents (color is customizable, defaults to phone's accent color)

Yay or nay? Thank you for your feedback!

View attachment 37371

I can't find this menu anymore.

It would be nice for landscape photography to set this once and never set is again. Infinity focus does not work on Lumia 925

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The focus is now a circular ring which you can set without having to enter a menu. It's on the right hand side of the display. Tap the "AF" and dial up the focus.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone!!

I am really really sorry that I have be MIA this month. Between the Future | Capture competition, taking a short vacation, my grandmother passing away, and having to go to her remote village in Greece, I have had very limited access to WiFi and electricity these past few weeks.

I will be traveling back to the States on Monday, and will be back to business as soon as I can get home. I will try to respond to posted questions / suggestions asap, but I might not get a chance til early next week. I really truly appreciate your patience!

I will have some good news to report on v2.9 then, too :)

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!!

I am really really sorry that I have be MIA this month. Between the Future | Capture competition, taking a short vacation, my grandmother passing away, and having to go to her remote village in Greece, I have had very limited access to WiFi and electricity these past few weeks.

I will be traveling back to the States on Monday, and will be back to business as soon as I can get home. I will try to respond to posted questions / suggestions asap, but I might not get a chance til early next week. I really truly appreciate your patience!

Hi RiseUpGames,

Long time no see :)
I knew it that you had bad accident because I never see your post last 2 weeks :( and I feel sorry to your grandmother.
I will waiting for next v2.9, thanks RiseUpGames.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone!!

Well, you can do this!
You've been through harder times before,why quit now?

Looking forward to finally try this out once carrier billing comes to the Philippines.

djmuzi

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Proshot app got 50% off today :)

Is it possible to make the Manual focus to be safed in the C settings?

2013_09_29_15_56_34_ProShot by m1.m1., on Flickr

2013_09_29_16_01_14_ProShot by m1.m1., on Flickr

Shot with Proshot and afterwards edited with Faststone.

I added a bit contrast, rose shadow details and lowered Exposure A LOT! The 925 overexposes massively.

Contrast can be turned to +1 in the Proshot app but afterwards you have to bring back shadow details.

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Ooook I'm back! Sorry again for being gone for so long. It's good to be back in business. Time to respond to your posts!

For dummies like me, I'd like to see an optional message on the opening or splash screen that reminds me to clean my lens. Since I keep my camera in my pocket, it always has fingerprints on it, and I sometimes don't remember to clean it when I see a great shot.

Super app, by the way. Keep up the good work.

Hmm, interesting idea! It's too bad that splash screens can't be localized (as far as I can tell). Still, something I could look into.

When sharing photos with other photography bugs, its nice to include the camera info, such as ISO, shutter speed, etc. I know I can see this on the bottom of the pictures I take with ProShot by hitting the i button. Is there an easy way to include it photos I share?

I'm sorry, there's no option for this. If there's enough demand though I'll add it to my (already massive!) to-do list.

Hey Eddie, just saw the article on the competition and sorry that you didn't win but your idea of infinite zoom is really cool. That must have been quite an experience!

Thank you! And oh my God it was an incredible experience, I can't thank Nokia enough for it. They took great care of us.
I'm totally fine that my idea didn't win, it was barely even a functioning prototype by the end, haha. Rudi and Shida's app is awesome, they showed some amazing examples of it in use. Their idea is going to go far; they truly deserved first place.

The good news for me (and for the photo community at large) is that my idea works, it's totally possible. My teammate and I are very interested in pursing it further :)

I just wanted to let you know that on L920 Amber update fixed the persistent gps EXIF data ;)

Glad to hear it! I'd been meaning to check up on that

Proshot Infinity Focus is very blurry (why?????????)

[url]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7426/9462275947_80964f31d8_b.jpg[/url]
Proshot Infinity by m1.m1., on Flickr

Darn, is it broken on the 925 too? (the 920 also doesn't work) This feature is available for all Nokia devices, but so far it seems like it's only working on the 520 and the 1020 (I don't have 6XX, 7XX, 8XX phones to test). I'm going to have to investigate this further.

So glad that Proshot works on your devices, on my 925 it simply can't focus...
I've had this issue from time to time on my 920 as well.

Are you referring to the infinity focus option, or just in general? I haven't written any custom AF algorithms for ProShot, it uses whatever autofocus functions are built into the camera's hardware. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work sometimes, unless there is not enough contrast to focus on anything (these cameras use contrast-detect AF)

I can't find this menu anymore.

It would be nice for landscape photography to set this once and never set is again. Infinity focus does not work on Lumia 925

The focus is now a circular ring which you can set without having to enter a menu. It's on the right hand side of the display. Tap the "AF" and dial up the focus.

Shortcut: you don't need to tap the AF button to go into MF mode. Just slide your finger along the dial and it automatically goes to MF :)

Yes I know but I would like to safe it permanently. Please make the C slots fully customizable!!!!!

I've had a debate with myself about that. When I tied the focus to the camera modes, it became a bit confusing switching between camera modes, so I stuck with the way it is on most DSLRs -> the focus mode is a global value that spans camera modes.

-----

Hmm, I think I promised some v2.9 news. Things got a little hectic and I'm behind schedule, so perhaps I'll... filter my teaser for now. Good things are coming.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed the infinity focus thing is off a bit too on my 521. I can focus it just fine in manual mode as long as I don't take the setting all they way up to infinity. It just goes a little bit past where it should on distance. Whatever software or hardware stops the lens from going past infinity just doesn't seem to work, on either ProCam, the native app, or Proshot, so I don't think its a problem with the ProShot software. I think that is why there are so many posts on the forum about out of focus pics. For some strange reason, it doesn't always seem to happen on automatic though.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed the infinity focus thing is off a bit too on my 521. I can focus it just fine in manual mode as long as I don't take the setting all they way up to infinity. It just goes a little bit past where it should on distance. Whatever software or hardware stops the lens from going past infinity just doesn't seem to work, on either ProCam, the native app, or Proshot, so I don't think its a problem with the ProShot software. I think that is why there are so many posts on the forum about out of focus pics. For some strange reason, it doesn't always seem to happen on automatic though.

Ah yes, that is the hyperfocal distance. All phones for WP can focus past infinity. Unfortunately there's no way of telling (though the API) where infinity lies.
Does the Infinity AF button work though? On the 920 it takes a blurry photo, but on my 520 & 1020 it worked fine.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Ah yes, that is the hyperfocal distance. All phones for WP can focus past infinity. Unfortunately there's no way of telling (though the API) where infinity lies.
Does the Infinity AF button work though? On the 920 it takes a blurry photo, but on my 520 & 1020 it worked fine.

I've taken so many pictures that came out blurry that I almost never use Auto anymore, and can't remember which of the 3 apps were particularly bad. I'll take some pictures tomorrow with ProShot on Auto and let you know. I am using a 521, by the way.

I do wonder how any of the apps know when to stop if they can go into hyperfocal range. I assume it is some sort of algorithm that can figure out when most of the background is in focus. Whatever it is, I think Nokia/Microsoft needs to do a bit more work on it.

Last edited:

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Here is something else interesting. I can take a picture with ProShot (or the other camera apps) that is as in focus as I can get it manually. Then, once its saved it won't always be as in focus as what I saw on the screen - sometimes yes, sometimes no. That effect has been reported a lot elsewhere for ProCam etc. But, here is the interesting part. I can pinch zoom in and out a bit and get the details on the picture (such as printed letters) to be as sharp as tacks. Zoom a little more, or less and they become a bit fuzzy again. Obviously, the camera has recorded all the information needed for a super sharp picture, but the display algorithms of the phone's screen don't always show it. When you look at the saved pictures on a computer the pictures you can see the same effect by zooming in and out a bit. It may have something to do with the number of pixels available to represent the edges of objects. Zoom out enough on the saved picture and there aren't enough pixels to give and object sharp edges. Zoom in too much and you can see the individual pixels (pixelization). Zoom in just right in post processing and you get the sharpest representation of the object.

A lot of the out of focus reports are probably being caused by this.

Last edited:

djmuzi

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Touch Focus makes more blurry photo than on Pro Cam.

Optimal focus is a bit under the second last mark on manual focus scale

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo