ProShot camera app.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It may have something to do with the number of pixels available to represent the edges of objects. Zoom out enough on the saved picture and there aren't enough pixels to give and object sharp edges. Zoom in too much and you can see the individual pixels (pixelization).

Precisely.

slimshaney2012

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Loving the app.

However, could an alternative icon be used for the Live Tile.

On my L620' the icon is too detailed so looks pretty poor on the small icon - too messy so to speak compared to all the surrounding tile icons.

It works better on the medium and large tiles, but doesn't need the scroll effect showing ' ProShot' text because medium and large size tiles already say 'ProShot' in the bottom left corner. So this repetition looks silly/not consistent with surrounding tiles.

Perhaps the option to have the original logo/icon and an alternative 'basic camera icon'.

I know it's only a small issue but looks of the tiles are important and ProShot's look out of place.

Cheers,
Shane :)

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Loving the app.

However, could an alternative icon be used for the Live Tile.

On my L620' the icon is too detailed so looks pretty poor on the small icon - too messy so to speak compared to all the surrounding tile icons.

It works better on the medium and large tiles, but doesn't need the scroll effect showing ' ProShot' text because medium and large size tiles already say 'ProShot' in the bottom left corner. So this repetition looks silly/not consistent with surrounding tiles.

Perhaps the option to have the original logo/icon and an alternative 'basic camera icon'.

I know it's only a small issue but looks of the tiles are important and ProShot's look out of place.

Cheers,
Shane :)

Glad to hear you're loving ProShot!
While the icon is not the worst out there, I do agree that there is room for improvement.

I currently have a complete code re-write planned for v3.0, including a visual overhaul. It's probably too ambitious though and the sun may explode before I ever finish, so I might try and roll out the visual updates incrementally.

My focus right now, however, are the updates I've planned for v2.9, which are unfortunately taking a lot longer than expected to finish. There are so many awesome features in beta waiting for you all to try, it's driving me nuts that they're not out yet! :)

james05gt

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
After going thru all the pages on this thread, went and bought it! my first wp8 app purchase! loving the app so far and I'm very surprised about the colors! its..colorful! lol my 920 suffers from that bug after updating to gdr2/amber where the colors are fuzzy and just not right when using procam even after playing with different settings. First pics with ProShot testing out the colors, everything auto.
2013_10_07_17_10_02_ProShot.jpg
2013_10_07_17_10_51_ProShot.jpg

Kier Clark

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
So I finally got the Amber update (thanks ATT for dragging your heels) on my 920. And then I found out about the post processing that is done on photos that makes them look blurred and yellowish. Does this happen even on your app? (which I absolutely love by the way!) Are there ways around it, or do we have to wait on Nokia to do something? It's a shame, because when you look at screenshots of the pictures before the post process, they really do look quite good.

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
So I finally got the Amber update (thanks ATT for dragging your heels) on my 920. And then I found out about the post processing that is done on photos that makes them look blurred and yellowish. Does this happen even on your app? (which I absolutely love by the way!) Are there ways around it, or do we have to wait on Nokia to do something? It's a shame, because when you look at screenshots of the pictures before the post process, they really do look quite good.

I just got Amber update too today,hahha
yes I found similar like blurred, not sharp and yellowish in my Lumia 720 too after update to Amber
that's happen to all photo apps I have tried so I think that's because windowsphone post processing, not because the apps
the worst is front camera quality looks very bad (OK quality before amber) :(

and I just found out my Lumia 720 got f/1,8999 not 1,9 :)
and got ISO 3200(on auto ISO mode). Don't know this is real ISO 3200 or just bug because the limit ISO I can change just 800, no option to change it to 3200 manually

wp_ss_20131012_0001.png wp_ss_20131012_0002.jpg

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just got Amber update too today,hahha
yes I found similar like blurred, not sharp and yellowish in my Lumia 720 too after update to Amber
that's happen to all photo apps I have tried so I think that's because windowsphone post processing, not because the apps
the worst is front camera quality looks very bad (OK quality before amber) :(

and I just found out my Lumia 720 got f/1,8999 not 1,9 :)
and got ISO 3200(on auto ISO mode). Don't know this is real ISO 3200 or just bug because the limit ISO I can change just 800, no option to change it to 3200 manually

View attachment 46381 View attachment 46382

f/1.8999? hahaha. I'll have to clean that up a bit.

About the ISO... I've been getting a lot of reports from users of Lumia 8XX that their auto ISO also goes to 3200. There's only 100-800 available as options in ProShot because that is what the hardware lists as officially supported. I'm considering adding options that force up to ISO 3200, but I don't have all Nokia devices to test this on, (only 520, 920, and 1020), and was worried that certain hardware might crash when trying to force the settings. I'll have to look into it more after v2.9.

About the Amber update...the yellowish tint only appears at higher ISOs (I think it starts creeping in at 400 and then just gets worse from there). It's really sad, I don't know why Nokia decided to go with such harsh processing. I like their default colors at low ISO, but high ISO is just bad.

Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about it at the moment because the images are processed by Nokia's algorithms before ProShot can even get a hold of them (well, it can be fixed in post, but that's an extra step). What's interesting is what you've noticed: the pic on the screen when you capture a photo looks good, it's just the pic that's saved that has the yellowish colors.

In code when you ask the camera hardware to take a picture, it returns two items, the actual pic, and a thumbnail of the pic taken. The thumbnail is what gets displayed on the screen before it slides off. That thumbnail doesn't get processed using Nokia's algorithms, but the full res image does. I believe it's something that they'll fix for "Bittersweet Shimmer." At least I sincerely hope so.

Kier Clark

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hm, ok. But you say that if I take picture on lower ISOs the same post processing does not occur? Do I need to change EV/Shutter speed as well to compensate? Definitely don't mind fiddling with all these knobs to compensate...your app certainly makes adjusting all those options very easy to do.

edit: Just checked...it's still there in a big way even at 200 and 100 ISO =/

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hm, ok. But you say that if I take picture on lower ISOs the same post processing does not occur? Do I need to change EV/Shutter speed as well to compensate? Definitely don't mind fiddling with all these knobs to compensate...your app certainly makes adjusting all those options very easy to do.

edit: Just checked...it's still there in a big way even at 200 and 100 ISO =/

I haven't done any exhaustive tests, but it's still there even at base ISO?? Damn.

But, this gives me an idea. No promises. I'm keepin it vague until I can research it more, but it's an idea...

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
f/1.8999? hahaha. I'll have to clean that up a bit.

About the ISO... I've been getting a lot of reports from users of Lumia 8XX that their auto ISO also goes to 3200. There's only 100-800 available as options in ProShot because that is what the hardware lists as officially supported. I'm considering adding options that force up to ISO 3200, but I don't have all Nokia devices to test this on, (only 520, 920, and 1020), and was worried that certain hardware might crash when trying to force the settings. I'll have to look into it more after v2.9.

About the Amber update...the yellowish tint only appears at higher ISOs (I think it starts creeping in at 400 and then just gets worse from there). It's really sad, I don't know why Nokia decided to go with such harsh processing. I like their default colors at low ISO, but high ISO is just bad.

Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about it at the moment because the images are processed by Nokia's algorithms before ProShot can even get a hold of them (well, it can be fixed in post, but that's an extra step). What's interesting is what you've noticed: the pic on the screen when you capture a photo looks good, it's just the pic that's saved that has the yellowish colors.

In code when you ask the camera hardware to take a picture, it returns two items, the actual pic, and a thumbnail of the pic taken. The thumbnail is what gets displayed on the screen before it slides off. That thumbnail doesn't get processed using Nokia's algorithms, but the full res image does. I believe it's something that they'll fix for "Bittersweet Shimmer." At least I sincerely hope so.

thanks for this info
do not worry about option for choose higher ISO like 3200 etc, I even don't want use it, really grainy pic in low ISO :)
yeah hope Nokia will fix that yellowish in gdr3
thanks again and waiting for next amazing proshot feature :)

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
the yellow tint is there at all ISO for me as well.
Has anyone report this huge problem to Nokia?

Yeah there was a huge fuss when Amber came out, I'm sure a ton of people contacted Nokia about it. I remember seeing the reviews for their ProCam app littered with comments about the yellow tint, so they must know. Just hope a fix is coming.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
just updated to developer preview GDR3 and yellow tint and blurriness still there.
confirmed that it's a firmware problem which mean nokia's fault.
man now we can't take any acceptable pictures until Bittersweet Shimmer

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
just updated to developer preview GDR3 and yellow tint and blurriness still there.
confirmed that it's a firmware problem which mean nokia's fault.
man now we can't take any acceptable pictures until Bittersweet Shimmer

Didn't think there'd be hope for a fix until Bittersweet Shimmer came out, but it's still sad to hear.

Update: I'm pretty much working on ProShot 24/7 and have grown a giant ugly beard cause there's not even enough time to cut the hair on my face, but there have been quite a few snags along the way preventing progress. I really appreciate your patience as I wrestle this update back on track.

I'm now going to take a page out of Nokia's book and give my updates names of colors.

v2.9 is will be called "Neon" :p

Edit: It just occurred to me that neon is not a color. Too much coding makes brain not work good.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss