ProShot camera app.

djmuzi

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Proshot Auto WB -2/3 EV

Nokia Camera Auto WB

Nokia Camera WB Sunny

Nokia Camera EV -1/3

I think Nokia ist rying hard to remove this yellow cast, which many user are writing about but the result is not in all circumstances OK. WB of Proshot and Sunny settings on Nokia Camera is much closer to reality (a bit too warm though)

iPhone 5

stunning sharpness and details! (but no wide angle though...)

Nokia Camera Auto

Proshot -2/3 EV

Proshot EV-2/3

Nokia Camera Auto

v_emman

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
For reframing: it shouldn't be too hard to add now that (as of 3.0) the infrastructure is in place, but the current Windows Phone API doesn't allow devs to edit images in-place, so the reframed image would either be saved as a separate image in the Camera Roll, or as a new image in the "My Saved Pictures" folder.

In my opinion that would be even better than the current Nokia's approach with Nokia Camera. You can create different versions of the original photo without destroying the original 5MP version, which is optimal in quality (because it was produced by the RAW picture, not the compressed JPEG full-res). :wink:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ProShot v3.1 (coming soon):

Hey everyone! I've got some good news regarding the next update to ProShot. I am happy to say that I have been able to squeeze out some huge performance improvements for lower-spec'd devices such as the 520, 620, and 720. I'm able to get an almost 2X speed increase in image processing time when using a filter, and the viewfinder will run a lot smoother during image processing.

On higher-end devices the speedup is not quite as dramatic, but it's still there, shaving about 0.5sec off of image processing time while keeping the viewfinder running buttery smooth (edit: whoops, I may have spoken too soon. Seems like the viewfinder still stutters a bit depending on hardware [curiously, it's smoother on the 920 than the 1020]). ProShot should also feel a bit more responsive in general on higher-end devices since I've cut down a bit on video memory usage.

I'll have more details to share in the next day or two, just wanted to post the good news as it comes. I'm really happy with how much better ProShot now runs on lower-end devices, I hope you will be happy too!

Last edited:

djmuzi

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The proshot photo was underexposed ev-2/3. This setting is saved always when I restart the camera. The Nokia Camera doesn't save settings so I have to shoot that way :) The underexposed one is IMHO better. The focus is clearly on the sunrise and sky and not on the suuroundings on earth :)

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ProShot v3.1 (coming today or tomorrow)

Hi everyone! I submitted the update for certification late Thursday night, so I'm expecting it to go live in the next day or two. Changelog here: ProShot

Here's the new UI:

wp_ss_20131216_0004.jpg
wp_ss_20131216_0002.jpg

More stuff coming soon :)

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
it's sad that useful features like opening 3rd party apps with the camera button get less than 1000 votes while useless, confusing, complicated features like the file manager gets 80000+ votes. :\

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
@RiseUpGames,

Have you looked recently at getting ProShot as an option for default camera? I'm looking at the Camera class on the Dev center and see a good amount of updated information as of Dec. 3, 2013:

Camera Class (Microsoft.Devices)

Also, the interface looks great so far! Looking forward to that update! :)

Unfortunately, it's still not possible, I just did a search through the docs and there's still no mention of it (it would more likely be a capability added to the manifest file: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/ff769509(v=vs.105).aspx).

I don't know what more I can do at this point. I've asked everyone I can at Microsoft, but emails have gone unanswered. I don't know why the feature is still not there, it's already implemented for Nokia's apps. I just tweeted Joe Belfiore, hopefully I can get to the bottom of this.

Sad/funny fact: when I first started work on ProShot, Microsoft had zero documentation for their camera API. If there was anything at all, they were just stubs. v1.0 was a mess cause I didn't even know what I was even doing, haha. Glad to see they've finally updated the docs.

Quick note: v3.1 update is still pending. Don't know why it's taking so long, it's been pending for 5 days now :/ At this point I'm almost done with v3.2 hah.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
@ RiseUpGames
Would it be more fruitful to approach MS thru Nokia as far as implementing Proshot as a default buttoned app?
I noticed that Nokia is one of yer followers on Twitter.
Looks like they may be interested in your work.

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
@RiseUpGames
Loving ProShot ever since it came out...it's getting better and better with every new version!

Just might have discovered a bug.
When the Auto Screen Rotation is turned OFF in phone settings, that is, the screen orientation is locked on Portrait (GRD3 Preview), if you capture any image with ProShot in Landscape mode, the image doesn't come out in original size and ratio, there's a lot of empty black space around the image. The default camera app captures the image pretty fine in Landscape mode even with screen rotation turned off.

I'm using an HTC 8X.

Some images to show what I mean:

1. Captured with ProShot in Landscape mode (Screen Rotation turned OFF in phone settings) : Not OK : Notice the empty black space around the image.

2013_12_18_12_47_50_ProShot.jpg

2. Captured with ProShot in Landscape mode (Screen Rotation turned ON in phone settings) : OK

2013_12_18_12_48_37_ProShot.jpg

3. Captured with Default Camera App in Landscape mode (Screen Rotation turned OFF in phone settings) : OK

WP_20131218_003.jpg

This is how the images look in ProShot itself:

The image captured with screen rotation turned OFF:
wp_ss_20131218_0003.png

The image captured with screen rotation turned ON:
wp_ss_20131218_0004.jpg

elyod

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I just updated to 3.1 and it is wonderful. I haven't used proshot for a couple days and I have to say that it is really fast compared to procam. It would definitely be my default camera app if possible, come on Microsoft! The new UI is great, very intuitive, and easier to use without adjusting your grip. This application has consistently been the best one on my phone since I bought it. Thank you!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
@ RiseUpGames
Would it be more fruitful to approach MS thru Nokia as far as implementing Proshot as a default buttoned app?
I noticed that Nokia is one of yer followers on Twitter.
Looks like they may be interested in your work.

They're also following about 188K others ;)
But you're right, I'll see what I can do.

@RiseUpGames
Loving ProShot ever since it came out...it's getting better and better with every new version!

Just might have discovered a bug.
When the Auto Screen Rotation is turned OFF in phone settings, that is, the screen orientation is locked on Portrait (GRD3 Preview), if you capture any image with ProShot in Landscape mode, the image doesn't come out in original size and ratio, there's a lot of empty black space around the image. The default camera app captures the image pretty fine in Landscape mode even with screen rotation turned off.

I'm using an HTC 8X.

Some images to show what I mean:

1. Captured with ProShot in Landscape mode (Screen Rotation turned OFF in phone settings) : Not OK : Notice the empty black space around the image.

View attachment 52231

2. Captured with ProShot in Landscape mode (Screen Rotation turned ON in phone settings) : OK

View attachment 52232

3. Captured with Default Camera App in Landscape mode (Screen Rotation turned OFF in phone settings) : OK

View attachment 52233

This is how the images look in ProShot itself:

The image captured with screen rotation turned OFF:
View attachment 52234

The image captured with screen rotation turned ON:
View attachment 52235

Thanks for the report! Yes, this is a known issue. I haven't had the chance to get GDR3 on any of my devices yet, but I think I've found the solution and will test it for the next update to ProShot.

Edit: Hmm, I think orientation lock is slightly busted in the GDR3. I updated my phone and tried overriding it, but it throws an error. Are there any third party apps out there that can override the system's orientation lock?

I just updated to 3.1 and it is wonderful. I haven't used proshot for a couple days and I have to say that it is really fast compared to procam. It would definitely be my default camera app if possible, come on Microsoft! The new UI is great, very intuitive, and easier to use without adjusting your grip. This application has consistently been the best one on my phone since I bought it. Thank you!

Thank you! Yeah, this camera button issue is really all that's holding ProShot back. Such an easy fix, since the framework is already there. Please, Microsoft.

Last edited:

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the report! Yes, this is a known issue. I haven't had the chance to get GDR3 on any of my devices yet, but I think I've found the solution and will test it for the next update to ProShot.

Edit: Hmm, I think orientation lock is slightly busted in the GDR3. I updated my phone and tried overriding it, but it throws an error. Are there any third party apps out there that can override the system's orientation lock?

Just tried with Camera360 and Fhotoroom. Both seem to be doing fine, just like the default camera app.
I'm sure you would be able to do it too! :excited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just tried with Camera360 and Fhotoroom. Both seem to be doing fine, just like the default camera app.
I'm sure you would be able to do it too! :excited:

I just tried...Camera360's UI doesn't rotate when orientation is locked to portrait. Also, Fhotoroom's UI is portrait-only, and even Nokia Camera doesn't work :/

Szellati

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hy Everyone!

I have a problem. In the ProShot app won't work the AF assist lamp function. I'd try in AF and MF mode, but nothing. Can anyone help me?

My phone: HTC 8S

Thanks

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
True, the UI doesn't rotate. But image comes out in Landscape with correct size and aspect ratio.

You're right! Hmm. I'm gonna have to ask Microsoft about this (the images captured by Nokia Camera, however, don't come out oriented properly. I haven't updated to Black tho). Thanks for the follow-up!

Hy Everyone!

I have a problem. In the ProShot app won't work the AF assist lamp function. I'd try in AF and MF mode, but nothing. Can anyone help me?

My phone: HTC 8S

Thanks

AF Assist Lamp unfortunately won't work in MF mode, it's due to the way the hardware is set up (the only way to turn it on when the camera is in "photo capture mode" is to activate the AF first). What is your current AF Assist Lamp setting (accessible via the "Flash" panel). If your battery is below 20%, it might not turn on. If your battery is above 20% (and battery saver is not turned on), try enabling the AF Assist Lamp and pointing the camera at a dark room or a closet. If you half-press the camera button, does the lamp still not turn on? Also, does the flash work at all, in ProShot or stock camera app?

In case you missed this post, someone is complaining about issues here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/255000-proshot-3-1-shot.html

But I am not having issues on my 1020, though I have not extensively tested it. However, I just got the Black update and now I have to ask - is DNG support possible / planned?

I definitely want to add DNG support. I've actually been bugging Microsoft about this since December 2012. Nokia's DNG API is private, so until they open it up, I don't know when it will be available for me to add. I will ask whomever I can at Nokia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb