ProShot camera app.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I think you're clicking on the legend for the menu, which doesn't do anything. It's just there to let the user know what the colored circles mean (red is 1:1, etc) instead of writing the aspect ratio in text for each resolution item in the list.

Which brings up an interesting point - maybe make it alternate between the versions of each ratio. If the user has 5M selected and click 16:9, it could switch to 5M @ 16:9, or the next highest resolution at 16:9.

Just a suggestion.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Which brings up an interesting point - maybe make it alternate between the versions of each ratio. If the user has 5M selected and click 16:9, it could switch to 5M @ 16:9, or the next highest resolution at 16:9.

Just a suggestion.

This is on the to-do list, just fairly low priority. At the top of the list are improving shot-to-shot times, memory efficiency, and UI / UX. And on that note...

ProShot NEXT: I'm almost done overhauling the rendering pipeline -- things are definitely faster across all devices from 520 to 1020, all while being more memory efficient. Happy that my ideas are working ^_^

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
This is on the to-do list, just fairly low priority. At the top of the list are improving shot-to-shot times, memory efficiency, and UI / UX. And on that note...

ProShot NEXT: I'm almost done overhauling the rendering pipeline -- things are definitely faster across all devices from 520 to 1020, all while being more memory efficient. Happy that my ideas are working ^_^

This sounds awesome! Definitely looking forward to it. All of your development and awesome features make me really want to make ProShot the default camera app on my phone though, and I'm seriously angry that it's not possible. Do you have any ways to actually contact MS directly and let us push for that support? I just can't find a way to contact them besides forums that go nowhere.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This sounds awesome! Definitely looking forward to it. All of your development and awesome features make me really want to make ProShot the default camera app on my phone though, and I'm seriously angry that it's not possible. Do you have any ways to actually contact MS directly and let us push for that support? I just can't find a way to contact them besides forums that go nowhere.

I'm working *really* hard on this, and have knocked on more doors at Microsoft than I can count. Unfortunately, no good news to report at this time :/

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm working *really* hard on this, and have knocked on more doors at Microsoft than I can count. Unfortunately, no good news to report at this time :/
Thanks! We all love your efforts and I don't mean to keep repeating the same issue, but we can all agree it's really ridiculous for Microsoft to hold out on a feature they already have developed.

Keep up the great work! If there's anything we can do to help, let us know.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! We all love your efforts and I don't mean to keep repeating the same issue, but we can all agree it's really ridiculous for Microsoft to hold out on a feature they already have developed.

Keep up the great work! If there's anything we can do to help, let us know.

If I could organize a few thousand people to tweet Joe Belfiore at the same time that might help :p

At this point, I'm just going to keep improving the app, gaining more support / downloads, and keep knocking on doors. Sooner or later the one will help the other.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So I will set my device with its kickass tripod then I'll walk slowly towards my friends waiting in the middle of the room then I will ask Cortana using my headset to take a burst shot with Proshot app.

Aah I see. Interesting use case! I'll put voice integration on my to-do list. I can't say when it will become available, but it's my goal to put everything on my to-do list into ProShot :)

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Aah I see. Interesting use case! I'll put voice integration on my to-do list. I can't say when it will become available, but it's my goal to put everything on my to-do list into ProShot :)
Thanks in advance! Looking on the way how you will implement it.
How about using voice to activate shutter...some camera apps already have this such as IntelliCam.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
So I have a question on using ProShot for the 1020 that has probably been answered before.

How does it work with the 41mp sensor? I tried to compairisons between Nokia Camera and Proshot, then looking at both images in camera roll, and it appeared I was able to get more detail out of Nokia Camera when I zoomed in - which isn't surprising since I was under the impression only Nokia Camera could really take advantage of 41MP photos. But apparently shooting 5MP in proshot does the exact same thing that Nokia Camera does (takes a 36-38mp photo, downsamples it down into 5MP for extra clairty)? This means that ProShot should be able to match quality/clairty of Nokia Camera? I do prefer the feature set and UI of ProShot for sure over Nokia Camera (though I do like how Nokia Camera says what my Shutter Speed is going to be if I'm modifying exposure values with shutter on Auto).

If thats the case, if I want the best general quality should I stick with the 5MP setting over doing something like 12MP? 5MP is a much more workable resolution and will likely look better than a 12MP photo if its being downsampled from the 41MP image.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So I have a question on using ProShot for the 1020 that has probably been answered before.

How does it work with the 41mp sensor? I tried to compairisons between Nokia Camera and Proshot, then looking at both images in camera roll, and it appeared I was able to get more detail out of Nokia Camera when I zoomed in - which isn't surprising since I was under the impression only Nokia Camera could really take advantage of 41MP photos. But apparently shooting 5MP in proshot does the exact same thing that Nokia Camera does (takes a 36-38mp photo, downsamples it down into 5MP for extra clairty)? This means that ProShot should be able to match quality/clairty of Nokia Camera? I do prefer the feature set and UI of ProShot for sure over Nokia Camera (though I do like how Nokia Camera says what my Shutter Speed is going to be if I'm modifying exposure values with shutter on Auto).

If thats the case, if I want the best general quality should I stick with the 5MP setting over doing something like 12MP? 5MP is a much more workable resolution and will likely look better than a 12MP photo if its being downsampled from the 41MP image.

The 5MP image in ProShot is super-sampled from the original 41MP pic. If quality is your main concern, it'd be best to use the export option in ProShot's camera roll, edit the 41MP image using your favorite editor, and then scale the final output to whichever size you want :)

When comparing the JPEG output of ProShot and Nokia Camera at 5MP, I found that ProShot's images have noticeably less compression artifacts than Nokia Camera (the test was performed with my work-in-progress v5.0 update).

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Go to the IMG panel, tap "size", and you will be able to select your desired resolution.

Similar to Nokia Camera, ProShot shoots a lower-res image, and then saves the high-res image to its local folder. This file can be exported from the ProShot camera roll, so you have easy access to the high-res image without needing to plug your phone into your PC (like with Nokia's app). Instead of only offering 5MP for the super-sampled photo, ProShot also offers 8MP and 10MP on the 1520, ICON, and 930, and also a 12MP option on the 1020. These lower res images are super-sampled from the original high-res image, so you still have great image quality, even at 8 or 10MP.

Would you ever consider an option to shoot/save only the 12MP res version (on 1020 for instance) instead of dual save mode? This would probably increase processing time. Plus, I'm finding many people like to do their edits & uploading on the device themselves & those smaller file sizes are easier to work with, and at 12MP isn't too bad of a "hit" on quality as say what the standard Nokia Camera app does at 5MP (which is way too small IMO).

The full res can be worked with sure, but those file sizes usually make most apps choke. Its an overall pain in the rear working with them on-device. So shooting at 12MP only sounds like a nice middle ground that's still plenty of quality/megapixels to work with, save storage space, plus would likely speed up the app overall shot to shot times. Thanks for a great app!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Would you ever consider an option to shoot/save only the 12MP res version (on 1020 for instance) instead of dual save mode? This would probably increase processing time. Plus, I'm finding many people like to do their edits & uploading on the device themselves & those smaller file sizes are easier to work with, and at 12MP isn't too bad of a "hit" on quality as say what the standard Nokia Camera app does at 5MP (which is way too small IMO).

The full res can be worked with sure, but those file sizes usually make most apps choke. Its an overall pain in the rear working with them on-device. So shooting at 12MP only sounds like a nice middle ground that's still plenty of quality/megapixels to work with, save storage space, plus would likely speed up the app overall shot to shot times. Thanks for a great app!

If you go to the Settings panel and uncheck "Save Original" it will only save the 12MP image and not the 41 :)

A more detailed user manual is highly needed, and something I keep meaning to get around to. I'm hoping to release v5.0 and an overhaul of the ProShot website at the same time. Hoping >_<

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the Settings panel and uncheck "Save Original" it will only save the 12MP image and not the 41 :)

A more detailed user manual is highly needed, and something I keep meaning to get around to. I'm hoping to release v5.0 and an overhaul of the ProShot website at the same time. Hoping >_<

Thanks. Yeah, I just saw that after my post. Doh! But still, doesn't that just keep the full res version from saving? Meaning, isn't the app still processing the full res version in the background after each shot then downsampling to the chosen res?

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm well tried using the same settings for the same shots between Nokia Camera and ProShot on my 1020 and even with the exported images being viewed in ProShot app there was more compression and not as much clarlity in close up details compared to what I could get out of Nokia Camera on my 1020 :(

Not to say your app is bad or anything - it runs nicer than Nokia Camera IMO and I like the UI a lot more. Not to mention great features such as timelapse/burst. Loved using it on my 810 - it just seems at the moment Nokia Camera has superior access to the 41mp camera. As such it appears it can push better quality/details using the same settings then what I can get with ProShot under standard camera shooting scenarios (i.e. sans doing something like a timelapse). I get the sense that Nokia Camera delivers a true 41mp supersampled image, which allows for lossless zoom/reframe capability among other things (and this makes sense, its a first party app designed to do just that along with the camera - Nokia probably has deep level access to the data the camera captures while ProShot does not). Comapred to ProShot, it seems to be shooting standard 5MP/8MP/12MP, like what you might get out of a 920. Looks great don't get me wrong though (as you'd expect a 920 to take great pictures), but it seems like at least on my version it is missing that 1020 edge. Even when viewing and only taking 5MP images from Nokia Camera it seems to be a bit more clear/detailed.

Not really criticisms or anything since I feel like these aren't really solvable issues (much like the camera button being unable to launch ProShot), just observations that I'm wondering if anyone else has felt who uses the 1020. ProShot is still nice for the many features it has over Nokia Camera.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of the whole Export Original system - do you think it might be possible to add an option to "always export original"? I would personally prefer to always have it exported.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah, I just saw that after my post. Doh! But still, doesn't that just keep the full res version from saving? Meaning, isn't the app still processing the full res version in the background after each shot then downsampling to the chosen res?

The only way to get 12MP is to super-sample the 41MP image, the hardware doesn't have a native 12MP option. That said, shot-to-shot time at those high resolutions has definitely been improved in v5.0 :)

Hmmm well tried using the same settings for the same shots between Nokia Camera and ProShot on my 1020 and even with the exported images being viewed in ProShot app there was more compression and not as much clarlity in close up details compared to what I could get out of Nokia Camera on my 1020 :(

Not to say your app is bad or anything - it runs nicer than Nokia Camera IMO and I like the UI a lot more. Not to mention great features such as timelapse/burst. Loved using it on my 810 - it just seems at the moment Nokia Camera has superior access to the 41mp camera. As such it appears it can push better quality/details using the same settings then what I can get with ProShot under standard camera shooting scenarios (i.e. sans doing something like a timelapse). I get the sense that Nokia Camera delivers a true 41mp supersampled image, which allows for lossless zoom/reframe capability among other things (and this makes sense, its a first party app designed to do just that along with the camera - Nokia probably has deep level access to the data the camera captures while ProShot does not). Comapred to ProShot, it seems to be shooting standard 5MP/8MP/12MP, like what you might get out of a 920. Looks great don't get me wrong though (as you'd expect a 920 to take great pictures), but it seems like at least on my version it is missing that 1020 edge. Even when viewing and only taking 5MP images from Nokia Camera it seems to be a bit more clear/detailed.

Not really criticisms or anything since I feel like these aren't really solvable issues (much like the camera button being unable to launch ProShot), just observations that I'm wondering if anyone else has felt who uses the 1020. ProShot is still nice for the many features it has over Nokia Camera.

You really have to view the images on your PC for comparison. ProShot's image viewer currently doesn't display the full 41MP image. The 41MP image that is exported by ProShot is the exact image stream captured by the camera, no post-processing, so it should look the same or better than Nokia Camera on your PC :)

Speaking of the whole Export Original system - do you think it might be possible to add an option to "always export original"? I would personally prefer to always have it exported.

That's a great idea. I'll have to test it out to see how it runs. The reason why ProShot currently saves the 41MP to the app's local folder instead of to the camera roll is that there is some overhead associated with saving to the camera roll (especially when using an SD card), while saving to the app's local folder happens a lot quicker.

I've overhauled a lot of old code with v5.0, which should allow me to do more interesting parallel processes without affecting app performance. It'll be stuff I'll explore after 5.0 launches. I definitely want to do as much as I can to improve workflow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786