ProShot camera app.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The only way to get 12MP is to super-sample the 41MP image, the hardware doesn't have a native 12MP option. That said, shot-to-shot time at those high resolutions has definitely been improved in v5.0 :)

Ah, OK. Kinda had a feeling that was the process. Thanks.

So if I'm understanding this, the full res version is more of a "raw" image that is unprocessed, but a 10MP or 12MP made from it has been "baked" already (meaning enhancements, color, obviously size, etc)?

Speaking of 10MP or 12MP, I'm trying to decide which one to shoot in. The 10MP version is just about 1MB smaller in terms of size, but not sure if the 12MP gives me anymore than just a larger size. What are your findings? Thanks again.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Ah, OK. Kinda had a feeling that was the process. Thanks.

So if I'm understanding this, the full res version is more of a "raw" image that is unprocessed, but a 10MP or 12MP made from it has been "baked" already (meaning enhancements, color, obviously size, etc)?

Speaking of 10MP or 12MP, I'm trying to decide which one to shoot in. The 10MP version is just about 1MB smaller in terms of size, but not sure if the 12MP gives me anymore than just a larger size. What are your findings? Thanks again.

The 10 or 12MP is merely super-sampled from the original 41MP JPEG supplied by the camera hardware.

In my tests, I found that the difference between 41MP and 12MP wasn't that huge (I suspect the lens on the 1020 isn't sharp enough to handle 41MP. That or it could just be the JPEG compression itself... I have yet to check out the DNG files). The difference is there, but not 3X the difference.

As far at 10MP vs 12MP, I haven't done any tests, but I'm guessing it's not that far off.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
After more use, I've noticed that sometimes pics I've taken aren't saved. It might have already been mentioned, but I believe its because I have backed out of the app right after a shot (but after the live view comes back) but while the app is still processing the last shot (which can take a few extra seconds to complete after live view comes back).

Since Proshot doesn't have an option for background processes in the main WP settings, this could be problematic. Would hitting the Windows key instead of back allow it to still process after a shot?

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
After more use, I've noticed that sometimes pics I've taken aren't saved. It might have already been mentioned, but I believe its because I have backed out of the app right after a shot (but after the live view comes back) but while the app is still processing the last shot (which can take a few extra seconds to complete after live view comes back).

Since Proshot doesn't have an option for background processes in the main WP settings, this could be problematic. Would hitting the Windows key instead of back allow it to still process after a shot?

Yeah, this is definitely on my list of bugs to address. Hitting either back or the windows button would have the same effect: it would just interrupt the function call to save a photo.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
RiseUpGames, this thread has become more of a bug reporting channel, figured I'd just check in to tell You how immensely impressed I'm by ProShot HDR! Hardly any noise :shocked:
2014_05_22_21_21_23_ProShot.jpg

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey RiseUpGames,

Any news on the big update?

Still working on it! Had something extra-big in the works (on top of the update), but the trail has gone cold, so I'm gonna have to scrap it :/

Currently, I'm migrating the new UI over to the main code base, and cleaning up a ton of stuff along the way. I've probably re-written 1/3 of all ProShot code just for this update! It's been a lot more work than I was expecting, but no major issues thus far. Random stats from a Lumia 1020:

1) Cut fillrate in half
2) Increased frame rate by 15-25% when performing UI tasks (scroll to photo, scroll filter list)
3) Full-res burst 20% faster than Nokia Camera (yep, I've added full-res burst)
4) Shot-to-shot single image capture (5MP + 34MP) is also faster than Nokia Camera

Still don't have an ETA on this, but it's getting there.

RiseUpGames, this thread has become more of a bug reporting channel, figured I'd just check in to tell You how immensely impressed I'm by ProShot HDR! Hardly any noise :shocked:
View attachment 67762

Wow that is very low noise! I had actually forgotten about this: since ProShot's HDR mode combines multiple exposures, the image noise gets averaged out during the blend process, thus reducing noise.

Very nice pic, btw :)

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Still love this app. Playing with different shutter speeds.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 2014_05_31_20_39_24_ProShot.jpg
    2014_05_31_20_39_24_ProShot.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 2014_05_31_20_39_36_ProShot.jpg
    2014_05_31_20_39_36_ProShot.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
1) Cut fillrate in half
2) Increased frame rate by 15-25% when performing UI tasks (scroll to photo, scroll filter list)
3) Full-res burst 20% faster than Nokia Camera (yep, I've added full-res burst)
4) Shot-to-shot single image capture (5MP + 34MP) is also faster than Nokia Camera
Wow that is very low noise! I had actually forgotten about this: since ProShot's HDR mode combines multiple exposures, the image noise gets averaged out during the blend process, thus reducing noise.

Very nice pic, btw :)

impressive stats! :smile: yes, exactly my thinking, just didn't expect it to be THIS good :wink:

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Put together the high chairs for the babies.:)
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• WP_20140603_2824.jpg
    WP_20140603_2824.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 24

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay, this may sound crazy, but hearing that Nokia Camera is getting continuous autofocus, I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to implement a form of continuous autofocus into ProShot?

My thoughts are something that just tries vaguely to maintain focus, that can be enabled and disabled easily, and only uses the AF light (when enabled) at first launch. This could just be a simple function that says "focus on center every 2 seconds" or something to that effect, but I think it would be very nice to have an option that reduces the need to keep focusing.

Regardless, definitely looking forward to what you have in the pipeline! :)

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Okay, this may sound crazy, but hearing that Nokia Camera is getting continuous autofocus, I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to implement a form of continuous autofocus into ProShot?

My thoughts are something that just tries vaguely to maintain focus, that can be enabled and disabled easily, and only uses the AF light (when enabled) at first launch. This could just be a simple function that says "focus on center every 2 seconds" or something to that effect, but I think it would be very nice to have an option that reduces the need to keep focusing.

Regardless, definitely looking forward to what you have in the pipeline! :)

If it's part of the API then I can most certainly add it. I know it's not part of WP8.0, but it may be there in 8.1. 8.1-specific features will be coming after the big update (which is totally killing me! But is shaping up really well. Finally added FFC support today ;)

Here's what the new EXIF viewer looks like. It's a little teaser of the direction I'm going with the the UI :smile:

wp_ss_20140603_0003.jpg

That pic is actually a 3-exposure HDR, used to paint light, combined with the "Vintage" filter. Since it was saved like this at time of capture, you can call this straight-out-of-camera :)

Nijaz Turdaliev

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone. I bought the app proshot June 7, try HDR mode on the Lumia 920 and I can not understand what's wrong doing. The result I was not happy. Attaching a photo taken with proshot and photo of a competing app.
2014_06_09_17_08_14_ProShot.jpg
WP_20140609_4314.jpg

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I bought the app proshot June 7, try HDR mode on the Lumia 920 and I can not understand what's wrong doing. The result I was not happy. Attaching a photo taken with proshot and photo of a competing app.
View attachment 68770
View attachment 68771

There's a lot of factors that could change the final output, but most importantly, your competing app seems to be applying a tone map to the final image, something that ProShot does not do. ProShot only blends the exposures.

What was your exposure bias? It looks like it was +/-3, which is why the image appears washed out. The best results come from using something around +/-1, in a scene that has a bright source as well as objects in shadow.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Failed attempt at one second exposure with main camera. Talk about a selfie.lol So I moved the camera too early.
Sister Act 109.jpg

And a self-correcting better second attempt. This is one second handheld with the main camera. Impressed! No edits.
Sister Act 110.jpg

This new spot my wife and I tried out last night. Only slight edits.
Sister Act 125e.jpg

Attachments

• Sister Act 125.jpg
    Sister Act 125.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 17

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Failed attempt at one second exposure with main camera. Talk about a selfie.lol So I moved the camera too early.
View attachment 69111

And a self-correcting better second attempt. This is one second handheld with the main camera. Impressed! No edits.
View attachment 69112

This new spot my wife and I tried out last night. Only slight edits.
View attachment 69114

Front facing camera support coming in the next update! Should make things easier ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99