ProShot camera app.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, ReseUpGames,

Thanks for the best camera app out there. Since your app comes only with 4 languages it might get complicated to some people, right? I can help with translation into Russian language.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I had a question for the developer. I like to make my colors "pop" a bit because I find the camera on the 1020 to produce slightly darker/drab images by default. But messing with the saturation/contrast settings in PS makes them kinda blown out & unnatural looking (even at the +1 setting).

Does the new version dial it back a bit with these settings? What would you recommend? Thanks!

P.S. If not, I'd like to vote for half steps for these settings.

Increasing the contrast will always sacrifice a bit of headroom in the highlights (in order to achieve maximum performance, ProShot's contrast calculation is currently linear, not logarithmic [though that's something I'd like to change, if possible]). I can easily add a few more ticks in the meantime :)

RiseUpGames, that UI overhaul is just terrific! I really like your work.

I have some questions mostly connected to lumia 1020.

1. If I choose not to save the Hi-res picture, I only have option for 5MP. Would it be possible to not save the Hi-Res and save just 8/10 MP ?
2. If I choose the Hi-res, then I also have options for 8/10/12MP. Are these scaled in the same way as 5MP as in pureview technology? Or is some less intelligent scale used?
3. Have you ever considered implementing the reframing functionality? I really like it and actually use it a lot. The in-place modification of photos is not an issue for me (could even be a feature at some times). Or if you could just "hack the saved photo" in a way so that it can be opened with Nokia Camera and reframe from there? :p

+ Voted 3 votes for the cammera button ;)

Glad to hear you're liking it!

1 and 2) When hi-res is selected, it puts the camera sensor in 41MP mode. The 8 / 10 / 12MP images are all oversampled from the 41MP image.

There are actually a lot of reasons why the non-hi-res only goes to 5MP. Some of them deal with my old code, some of them deal with HDR specifically, some of them deal with communicating certain things to users, and some of it is just the time constraints I had for this update. Suffice to say, I hear you, and I will see what I can do about adding the 8 / 10 / 12MP options to the non-hi-res section :)

3) Image editing has taken a back-seat in priorities for me. I didn't want to split my dev time on this, especially since there are so many great image editors out there. Some basic stuff is in the works (like reframing), but I can't say when that will come out. In the meantime, though it's a few extra steps, it's really easy to just export the original image using the originals manager.

Hi I just bought the app and so far so good. I am not an expert photographer but can you make a detailed tutorial, and tips on using Proshot especially on how to produce great results? Also, where is "reset default settings"?

User Muessig has an excellent write-up on introducing people to photography, I highly recommend the read: http://forums.windowscentral.com/gu...so-you-want-take-better-pictures-[guide].html

The reset to defaults button didn't make this release, but it will be coming

Hi RiseUpGames,

Under the "Image" option, I can't quickly switch the resolution by swiping my finger anymore. Is this a bug? Or does the latest update only allow quick-access to "filter"?

For me personally, among the three sub-menu under "Image", I use "size" and "adjust" the most. I don't think I have ever touched the "filter" sub-menu at all haha.

I discovered a really nasty Silverlight bug that relates specifically to this feature, so I had to take it out. Although, the same bug popped up while I was making the new UI dials, and I found a (really really bad) workaround for it, so I may be able to bring it back.

I had a lot of users asking for filters to be put first, which is why the switch happened. I'll try to fix the "adjust / size" bug so at least it'll be easy to swipe to the tabs.

Hi, ReseUpGames,

Thanks for the best camera app out there. Since your app comes only with 4 languages it might get complicated to some people, right? I can help with translation into Russian language.

Thank you so very much! I am definitely trying to get ProShot into more languages -- I purchased some online translation services, but they are seeming more and more like a scam. I will contact you if I need assistance. Thank you!

matte88

May 5, 2013
Visit site
@RiseUpGames
If you need to translate something in Italian, i'm here, feel free to contact me! it's a pleasure for me to help you!

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
it seems that when in auto mode and burst mode, the app doesn't focus correctly like it does in single mode.
also, in previous versions, I can have a tile for burst mode on my start screen by putting C1 as burst mode. now whenever I open up C1 it shows burst and then when I open up auto it stays on burst instead of resetting to single like it did. after manually changing to single, when I open up C1 it stays in single instead of going to burst like it used to.
please bring back the previous behaviors.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I just wanna get back to sharing photos. I took this with the flash on and I really love how the app handles flash. Also one of my favorite snacks with hot tea or coffee. No edits. Straight from camera. Many more photos coming soon.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 2014_06_29_09_54_37_ProShot.jpg
    2014_06_29_09_54_37_ProShot.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
@RiseUpGames
If you need to translate something in Italian, i'm here, feel free to contact me! it's a pleasure for me to help you!

Thank you so very much! Now that the big update is done, I'm going to shift my focus to getting ProShot localized into as many languages as possible. I will contact you in a week or two with more details. Thanks again! :)

it seems that when in auto mode and burst mode, the app doesn't focus correctly like it does in single mode.
also, in previous versions, I can have a tile for burst mode on my start screen by putting C1 as burst mode. now whenever I open up C1 it shows burst and then when I open up auto it stays on burst instead of resetting to single like it did. after manually changing to single, when I open up C1 it stays in single instead of going to burst like it used to.
please bring back the previous behaviors.

Hmm, I can't seem to replicate the focus issue on my 920. Which device are you using?

ProShot never officially allowed users to pin drive modes (burst, timer, etc.) to their start screen, so you must have discovered a bug! Being able to pin drive modes is something I've been looking into including, but haven't had the chance to implement yet. It is on the to-do list :)

I just wanna get back to sharing photos. I took this with the flash on and I really love how the app handles flash. Also one of my favorite snacks with hot tea or coffee. No edits. Straight from camera. Many more photos coming soon.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

I agree, let's start posting more photos! :D (my roommate's dog is often the subject when I test ProShot features, so I've got way too many pics of that stinker)

unnamed.jpg

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Very nice update! Looks and works great so far! Definitely making me really want to make it the default camera app. I like your little link in there to vote :)

I'm just wondering if it's possible to have it only save the 34MP/hires image? Seeing how Nokia Camera/OneDrive only upload the full-resolution image in high quality mode, it's got me used to keeping only the 34MP image and I'm really starting to like it. I really like your new gallery and I'm looking forward to seeing further improvements there, but I would like to see an option to only save the full resolution picture and skip the sharing one.

Edit: Also, what's the difference between "Save original" in the regular settings screen, and "Hi res" in the image size screen?

Last edited:

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's one of my beautiful wife at Eggspectation on Sunday.
ProShot Update 159e.jpg
And here's another shot from the same restaurant. It was my first time there.
ProShot Update 143e.jpg
Here's a shot of a bug on a window early on a Tuesday morning.
ProShot Update 153e.jpg

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to add burst mode in HDR? I think that using burst mode to capture the shots real quickly would minimize hand movements and help with alignment

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Very nice update! Looks and works great so far! Definitely making me really want to make it the default camera app. I like your little link in there to vote :)

I'm just wondering if it's possible to have it only save the 34MP/hires image? Seeing how Nokia Camera/OneDrive only upload the full-resolution image in high quality mode, it's got me used to keeping only the 34MP image and I'm really starting to like it. I really like your new gallery and I'm looking forward to seeing further improvements there, but I would like to see an option to only save the full resolution picture and skip the sharing one.

Edit: Also, what's the difference between "Save original" in the regular settings screen, and "Hi res" in the image size screen?

Right now, it's not possible, and here is why:

ProShot makes it very easy to adjust contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc before you take your image. These are all post-process, however. Doing a post-process on a 41MP image will bring the app dangerously close to the memory limit just on the first image capture, and may potentially crash the app. Having such a volatile action be so easily reproduced would be frustrating for users. I could just disable filters / post-processing when taking 41MP photos, but then I'd have to explain that to users, and that would be one more thing a user would have to get used to. So.. it's a bit complicated.

The memory ceiling is a bit more flexible on WP8.1, so it may be something that could still come. In the meantime, I'm looking at how much higher I could go on WP8 devices before hitting that limit.

The "Save Original" and "Hi-res" buttons are confusing, I admit. It's one thing I wanted to polish before 5.0, but ran out of time. Think of it this way, when "hi-res" is enabled, it's the same thing as having "Save Originals" enabled. It will save the original image to ProShot's local folder (in the Lumia 1020's case, the 41MP image. In the Lumia 820's case, the original 8MP image).

I'm still thinking about how to make that process easier to understand.

This update is very good. The UI changes are well thought out.

Is there a way to select the shutter speed (exposure duration)?

If you have a device capable of doing it (currently only Nokia and HTC devices can), then you can access manual shutter speed selection by either going into M, C1, or C2 modes.

Is it possible to add burst mode in HDR? I think that using burst mode to capture the shots real quickly would minimize hand movements and help with alignment

It may be possible with 8.1, and definitely dependent on the hardware if it's a full-res image or not. All of the new 8.1 stuff I plan on exploring soon :)

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have notice that increasing sharpness from 0 to 1 makes pictures much much better! also it seems that photos viewed in proshot doesn't have the yellow tint.
but having sharpness on almost double the shot-to-shot time in single mode! Are you working to make this faster? are you using multiple cores fully? would this be instantaneous on newer quad-core snapdragons?

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have notice that increasing sharpness from 0 to 1 makes pictures much much better! also it seems that photos viewed in proshot doesn't have the yellow tint.
but having sharpness on almost double the shot-to-shot time in single mode! Are you working to make this faster? are you using multiple cores fully? would this be instantaneous on newer quad-core snapdragons?

ProShot is pretty much the fastest we can possibly get on Windows Phone...A *ton* of optimization has been done to ensure it, so the only way it can get faster is with faster hardware. It's definitely faster on the new quadcore processors.

Don't forget, even though ProShot is processing the image, you can keep shooting, it's processed in the background :)

White Emperor

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I set the sharpness to +1 and fix the color balance( just set green to 95) now no yellow tint and no blurry photos! Thank you very much😊 At last someone cares what we want.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
what do you mean by green to 95?
ProShot is pretty much the fastest we can possibly get on Windows Phone...A *ton* of optimization has been done to ensure it, so the only way it can get faster is with faster hardware. It's definitely faster on the new quadcore processors.

Don't forget, even though ProShot is processing the image, you can keep shooting, it's processed in the background :)
oh really?? I didn't know that I thought i'll have to wait for the circles to finish. okay cool! keep up the good work! I'm waiting for you to update your website so I can read the updated manual :D

also I found a bug. when proshot is opened in portrait mode with orientation lock on, and then you proceed to turn off orientation lock from the action center and then turn the phone into landscape mode, the grid is screwed up. this also happens when editing filters in landscape.

Last edited:

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had this app from day one. I started using Nokia procam . I would go back and forth between the two. But after this last updated I can't see my self using anything but. Must have camera app hands down

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^you're probably in burst mode. just click on that little square on the bottom left (portrait mode) or bottom right (landscape mode) and select normal.

White Emperor

May 11, 2014
Visit site
You can make your own filter if you click + button under the filter tab, you'll see the color balance options there. Three main colors are set to 100. You just need to set green to 95. Or you can make a better one with different settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb