ProShot camera app.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
First, I'm happy to announce that ProShot v5.5 is done!
It's currently pending Microsoft's approval. What's new: faster boot up, zoom with one finger (now up to 10X), save 20/41MP images directly to your camera roll, and so much more. Full change log is here: Changelog ? ProShot

I've begun looking into it. I guess for now that's all the news I can report, heh.

Honestly the iOS launch beat me up pretty badly. I sacrificed a lot (personally and financially) to get ProShot out with iOS8, and got zero media exposure. I'm seriously dumbfounded by what happened, especially considering the camera apps that did get attention. I can't afford to have that happen again on Android.

Sorry. Complaining doesn't get anyone anywhere. Let's get back to the positive. I'm very excited to get 5.5 out there for you all. I've now taken the WP 8.0 Camera API as far as it can possibly go, and will soon begin the transition to WP 8.1, where new photographic frontiers await.
Man that sucks. Well I did recommend you to a friend that absolutely loves the app on iOS. Hopefully they new a "best new apps on iOS" feature over on iMore. You deserve it. Well I'm only two days from getting my Sony Xperia Z3 now and I'm looking forward to a new change. Like I said I hope to return to WP once Microsoft releases a 1030 successor and on T-Mobile. I can tell you your app will definitely stand out in the Play Store compared to other ones. I'll probably just get the most out of Sony's camera app. I'll miss you guys but I'll be connected via the WindowsCentral app for Android.

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I am very impressed by the extensive change log that you generated in a week or so - well done.

My son uses an iPhone, so I passed on my recommendation re ProShot to him. Perhaps word of mouth will eventually get you the recognition that you deserve. :smile:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Man that sucks. Well I did recommend you to a friend that absolutely loves the app on iOS. Hopefully they new a "best new apps on iOS" feature over on iMore. You deserve it. Well I'm only two days from getting my Sony Xperia Z3 now and I'm looking forward to a new change. Like I said I hope to return to WP once Microsoft releases a 1030 successor and on T-Mobile. I can tell you your app will definitely stand out in the Play Store compared to other ones. I'll probably just get the most out of Sony's camera app. I'll miss you guys but I'll be connected via the WindowsCentral app for Android.

Thank you! Yeah, I'm a bit surprised that iMore (or any Apple site?) hasn't reported on ProShot, but recently have written a lot about other camera apps that honestly don't do a whole lot. I've tried contacting them all multiple times :(

I posted Proshot for iOS 8 on hotukdeals.com here:

ProShot - iPhone app for iOS 8 - FREE introductory price - Hot UK Deals

It needs just over 10 more votes to go hot. Get voting guys!

Awesome! I signed up and voted, thank you :)

I am very impressed by the extensive change log that you generated in a week or so - well done.

My son uses an iPhone, so I passed on my recommendation re ProShot to him. Perhaps word of mouth will eventually get you the recognition that you deserve. :smile:

Thank you for the recommendation! Every bit helps. The world needs to know that there's a better camera app out there :p

Windows Phone is at the heart of what I do; it's where I started, it's where I grew, and it's still in my pocket today. I am so thankful to you all for your help and support.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just downloaded the latest version. I'm not sure about this, but perhaps since ProShot now saves directly to the camera roll, the "originals" within the app itself may no longer be necessary.

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I would to request a feature that i requested long time ago when i bought the app. I am again asking for panorama photos. At that time you said photosynth is available and you don't have any intentions of adding that feature. I came to windows phone from galaxy S2, even to date I cannot find one app that can compare with Samsung panorama shot of galaxy S2. Nokia app for panorama sucks big time. Neither one can move in both directions, left and right nor move up and down. Stitching the pics together is simply horrible. I hope you consider to add panorama feature as well.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded the latest version. I'm not sure about this, but perhaps since ProShot now saves directly to the camera roll, the "originals" within the app itself may no longer be necessary.

It's still there if you prefer to shoot with a filter and have the original saved as a backup. Some people like the comfort of that backup, so I've kept it in :)

Hi, I would to request a feature that i requested long time ago when i bought the app. I am again asking for panorama photos. At that time you said photosynth is available and you don't have any intentions of adding that feature. I came to windows phone from galaxy S2, even to date I cannot find one app that can compare with Samsung panorama shot of galaxy S2. Nokia app for panorama sucks big time. Neither one can move in both directions, left and right nor move up and down. Stitching the pics together is simply horrible. I hope you consider to add panorama feature as well.

Unfortunately, it's still something I haven't been able to look into. In order to do Panorama properly, I'm going to have to read some research papers on image stitching and come up with an algorithm, which is quite a bit of R&D. Once I update ProShot to the 8.1 Camera API, I hope to have more time to do research projects like this.

Willy Yu

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
still not working on Micromax W121, may be it should be called ProShot for Lumia, not a full WP8 app yet not supporting all WP8 devices

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It's still there if you prefer to shoot with a filter and have the original saved as a backup. Some people like the comfort of that backup, so I've kept it in :)

Thanks for this info; I have never tried shooting using filters (even in film) so I didn't know that is it's purpose. It'd be very useful in that case then.:cool:

os1019

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Is it better to install the app on the Sd card or the phone itself or does it really make a difference?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
still not working on Micromax W121, may be it should be called ProShot for Lumia, not a full WP8 app yet not supporting all WP8 devices

Try uninstalling, restarting your device, then re-installing. If that doesn't work, can you please go to System Settings -> About and tell me the Model? It will look like this:

wp_ss_20141029_0001.jpg

Once I know your model ID, I can look into seeing what could be going wrong. Thank you!

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Is it better to install the app on the Sd card or the phone itself or does it really make a difference?

Depends on the CPU, and it only affects load time. If you're on a Lumia 520, I recommend installing to your phone and not SD card (it's a 3.2MB download, and when installed I think only takes up 16MB of space). On a 930/1520, you can put it anywhere and I doubt it'd have much if any affect on load time

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Some developers have "prevented" their app from being installed on SD Cards, and there's probably a reason for that. It goes down to speed (and reliability), but mostly it depends really on the read/write speed of your SD card and how it compares with the read/write speed of your phone. A sample screenshot (probably of an older generation phone) in this app shows that the memory (RAM) and storage (internal drive) read/write of the sample phone is around 50MB/sec and 23MB/sec respectively. If your SD Card has a read/write value less than these, the performance (particularly the loading speed or launch time) of your app may be affected.

SD Cards (and other memory devices in general) perform at their best with sequential read/write. But given that you'll be installing apps and that the Windows Phone incorporates sand boxing technology, the read/write will not be completely sequential but also not fully random - somewhere in between. Some of the best SD Cards performed at ~90MB/sec for sequential and <10MB/sec for random read/write. This means that you'll probably have an SD Card that does not perform at 50MB/sec all the time, and effectively not experience the optimum loading speed for your apps.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Some developers have "prevented" their app from being installed on SD Cards, and there's probably a reason for that. It goes down to speed (and reliability), but mostly it depends really on the read/write speed of your SD card and how it compares with the read/write speed of your phone. A sample screenshot (probably of an older generation phone) in this app shows that the memory (RAM) and storage (internal drive) read/write of the sample phone is around 50MB/sec and 23MB/sec respectively. If your SD Card has a read/write value less than these, the performance (particularly the loading speed or launch time) of your app may be affected.

SD Cards (and other memory devices in general) perform at their best with sequential read/write. But given that you'll be installing apps and that the Windows Phone incorporates sand boxing technology, the read/write will not be completely sequential but also not fully random - somewhere in between. Some of the best SD Cards performed at ~90MB/sec for sequential and <10MB/sec for random read/write. This means that you'll probably have an SD Card that does not perform at 50MB/sec all the time, and effectively not experience the optimum loading speed for your apps.

Very thorough, thank you!

jonathanpaulpano

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
My HTC 8x with Windows 8.1 Developer Preview is having a problem with ProShot. Everytime I select a filter with my FRONT CAMERA, it reverts back to normal. My main camera doesn't have problems in terms of filters. Any suggestions to fix this Mr RiseUpGames?

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I apologise if this is a totally stupid question, but.....

Does the choice of image resolution affect the battery life? e.g. Is 12+38MP likely to exhaust the battery in my Lumia 1020 much quicker than saving 5MP pictures only?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Does the choice of image resolution affect the battery life? e.g. Is 12+38MP likely to exhaust the battery in my Lumia 1020 much quicker than saving 5MP pictures only?

Hmm, I haven't actually compared this, but from a logical point of view it does seem that saving in 12+38MP (or any other highres version) would consume more power than just 5MP. But it's more of a read/write factor than of a sensor usage factor. The larger your photo, the longer it takes to read and write them onto memory, and a longer time means more power consumed. Now how much power this consumes compared to lower resolution versions, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there would be minimal difference since the phone has other more power-intensive functions to handle, such as the 3G/4G antenna and the screen.

P.S. There are no stupid questions, but there are countless stupid answers.:cool:

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I've been noticing a lot that PS on my 920 will sometimes take photos in this really weird aspect ratio where they end up looking distorted. I noticed it on the previous version & the updated version does the same thing. The Nokia Camera app & built in Camera app do not do this ever, so its def the PS app.

Here are a couple examples: imgur: the simple image sharer

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a query about update 5.5. I don't seem to be able to "save 20/41MP images directly to your camera roll, and so much more".

What I see when I select Size in the menu is a list of sizes up to 12MP then 38MP. Only the 12MP goes to my camera Roll (but I can still export the 38MP as before).

I am missing something obvious?

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My HTC 8x with Windows 8.1 Developer Preview is having a problem with ProShot. Everytime I select a filter with my FRONT CAMERA, it reverts back to normal. My main camera doesn't have problems in terms of filters. Any suggestions to fix this Mr RiseUpGames?

When you say it reverts to normal, do you mean that when you select a filter with the FFC, switch to rear cam, than back to FFC, the filter is set to default? That purposeful for now, the FFC has no memory as it's just meant for quick shots. Hope that helps!

The 5MP mode is more efficient on the battery, but it's really insignificant. gpobernardo's theory is sound, it will take more CPU power to process the 12+38 image. Whenever the busy circle in the upper-left corner is animating, know that the CPU is running at max power to process your photo. When it's not running, the CPU is running at (basically) half power.

Hi. I've been noticing a lot that PS on my 920 will sometimes take photos in this really weird aspect ratio where they end up looking distorted. I noticed it on the previous version & the updated version does the same thing. The Nokia Camera app & built in Camera app do not do this ever, so its def the PS app.

Here are a couple examples: imgur: the simple image sharer

It's a bug with rotation lock that's been really hard to nail down. It was broken with 8.0 GDR3 due to a Microsoft bug. Then it was fixed in 8.1. Then it broken again with one of the updates, but I can't duplicate it on any of my devices, including my 920. If you have step-by-step instructions on how to recreate it, I can try to find a fix :)

I have a query about update 5.5. I don't seem to be able to "save 20/41MP images directly to your camera roll, and so much more".

What I see when I select Size in the menu is a list of sizes up to 12MP then 38MP. Only the 12MP goes to my camera Roll (but I can still export the 38MP as before).

I am missing something obvious?

The 20MP is for devices with a 20MP camera (930, 1520). It made little sense to add a 20MP option to the Lumia 1020 because it offered almost no IQ difference between the 12MP and 20MP version (I did a lot of testing on this). Also, it took too long to process a 20MP image from the original 34/38MP. The 5, 8, 10, 12MP options offer the best performance vs quality vs file size, and are all super-sampled from the original 34/38MP image.

If you go to the Settings panel, you can turn off "Save Original" if you don't wish to save a second 34/38MP image as backup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786