ProShot camera app.

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that explanation.

However, I still seem unable to save the original "automatically" (ie without using the Export process). Regardless of the image size that I select, I end up with a single low-res image in my Camera Roll, and nothing in the Saved Pictures. I have tried with the Save Original setting both ON and OFF with the same outcome. Can you suggest what I may be doing wrong?

Of course, despite these minor hiccups, I remain delighted with the results that I am getting from the app as it is. Yesterday I attended an important evening function at our church. Our lighting is far from ideal for non-flash photography, but my only three duds were due to camera shake. Thanks again.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
It's a bug with rotation lock that's been really hard to nail down. It was broken with 8.0 GDR3 due to a Microsoft bug. Then it was fixed in 8.1. Then it broken again with one of the updates, but I can't duplicate it on any of my devices, including my 920. If you have step-by-step instructions on how to recreate it, I can try to find a fix :)

Thanks! I've noticed the distortion happens a lot when I'm pointing the camera at a downward angle. It seems the app gets confused on which orientation to save as, ends up saving at the wrong one, while at the same time wanting to take the pic in another orientation. I would start with that.

Those pics I posted I actually had to edit them so I could rotate them. That might be a clue to what's happening. Hope this helps. :)

Tornado92

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, I don't know if this has been ask before but I was wondering if this app is able to start up straight to horizontal mode even when rotation lock is on?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
@RiseUpGames:

I noticed something peculiar but at the same time interesting while zooming in using my L1020. The L1020 is not capable of optical zoom, so the zoom provided by your app 10.0x digital zoom - hence the pixelation seen in the screen before taking a shot. This means that when the shot is made whilst zoomed in, the resolution of the image within that frame is not 34MP (if set to 34MP at 1x zoom in the settings), but only an enlarged central section of the entire 34MP pixel set. This means that the image within the "viewfinder" is not really 34MP. This is supported by the fact that the quality of the details for a 1x zoom and a 10x zoom photo is "the same".

However, despite this, what is saved directly into Camera Roll is still a 34MP photo. It seems that what ProShot does is to save a 34MP (33.6MP) photo regardless of the actual resolution of the image processed (e.g. when you're zoomed in the resolution will be a subset of 34MP) and displayed on the screen if you choose to take a 34MP photo in the App Settings. This makes the details in the zoomed in version smoother as a result of some pixel interpolation process - i.e. in expanding the zoomed in subset of the 34MP to 34MP.

I have used a third-party app and my PC to compare the qualities of detail of the 1x and the 10x zoom photo - the only difference is the "smoothness". I'll upload some photos in a few hours - since I could not get good lighting at this time of the day (4AM).

Also, I noticed that in manual focus the OIS is not being activated at all. This is the same for Nokia Camera, so it's seems to be not a ProShot related issue - just an observation.:cool:

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
@RiseUpGames:

I noticed something peculiar but at the same time interesting while zooming in using my L1020. The L1020 is not capable of optical zoom, so the zoom provided by your app 10.0x digital zoom - hence the pixelation seen in the screen before taking a shot. This means that when the shot is made whilst zoomed in, the resolution of the image within that frame is not 34MP (if set to 34MP at 1x zoom in the settings), but only an enlarged central section of the entire 34MP pixel set. This means that the image within the "viewfinder" is not really 34MP. This is supported by the fact that the quality of the details for a 1x zoom and a 10x zoom photo is "the same".

However, despite this, what is saved directly into Camera Roll is still a 34MP photo. It seems that what ProShot does is to save a 34MP (33.6MP) photo regardless of the actual resolution of the image processed (e.g. when you're zoomed in the resolution will be a subset of 34MP) and displayed on the screen if you choose to take a 34MP photo in the App Settings. This makes the details in the zoomed in version smoother as a result of some pixel interpolation process - i.e. in expanding the zoomed in subset of the 34MP to 34MP.

I have used a third-party app and my PC to compare the qualities of detail of the 1x and the 10x zoom photo - the only difference is the "smoothness". I'll upload some photos in a few hours - since I could not get good lighting at this time of the day (4AM).

Also, I noticed that in manual focus the OIS is not being activated at all. This is the same for Nokia Camera, so it's seems to be not a ProShot related issue - just an observation.:cool:

You are right, zoom in ProShot is a crop plus enlargement to match the resolution settings chosen by the user. When I first added zoom to ProShot, I did not include the enlargement part, and received complaints that the resolution of the image output didn't match what as chosen. So, it's how it is now :)

Zoom is handled by Nokia's Imaging SDK.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that explanation.

However, I still seem unable to save the original "automatically" (ie without using the Export process). Regardless of the image size that I select, I end up with a single low-res image in my Camera Roll, and nothing in the Saved Pictures. I have tried with the Save Original setting both ON and OFF with the same outcome. Can you suggest what I may be doing wrong?

Of course, despite these minor hiccups, I remain delighted with the results that I am getting from the app as it is. Yesterday I attended an important evening function at our church. Our lighting is far from ideal for non-flash photography, but my only three duds were due to camera shake. Thanks again.

Try re-installing ProShot, there could be some bug as a result from updating. Everything is running just fine on my 1020

Thanks! I've noticed the distortion happens a lot when I'm pointing the camera at a downward angle. It seems the app gets confused on which orientation to save as, ends up saving at the wrong one, while at the same time wanting to take the pic in another orientation. I would start with that.

Those pics I posted I actually had to edit them so I could rotate them. That might be a clue to what's happening. Hope this helps. :)

Thank you for that. Yeah, the system's orientation gets confused sometimes when pointing down. I'll have to see where I'm missing the check for that.

Hi there, I don't know if this has been ask before but I was wondering if this app is able to start up straight to horizontal mode even when rotation lock is on?

Not at the moment. Rotation lock was implemented so poorly in WP, it's been hard for me to find the right solution for all phones and situations. Still looking into it :/

No, thats not what I meant. What I'm saying is that I cannot select a filter when my camera is at front-facing. This is a bug.

Can you please take a screenshot of ProShot when you have the FFC enabled? And a screenshot of the right menu. I'm pretty stumped on this, because FFC + filter is working on my 520, 920, 1020, and HTC 8X :/

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again, but...

I have again uninstalled and reinstalled Proshot, but can still only see one saved (12MP) photo. I have verified that Save Original is ON.

For what it may be worth, my settings show the following :

Proshot Version : 5.5.0.0
Name : Windows Phone
Model : NOKIA 909
Carrier : Australia
Software : Windows Phone 8.1
OS Version : 8.10.12393.890
Firmware Version : 3041.50009.1424.0007
Hardware rev no. 4.4.0.2

Perhaps you might see some vital difference between my settings and yours?
(I am assuming that my being in the Southern hemisphere could not cause a problem!)

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
As a brief follow up....

I have just done a full reset to factory settings and deleting all downloaded apps.
I then reinstalled ProShot, but the problem remains. I do have "Save Original" ON, but it just doesn't.

I think it is time for me to stop obsessing. :)

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just updated my 1020, uninstalled ProShot, restarted my device, and re-installed ProShot from the Store (v5.5). Here's what I've got:

wp_ss_20141107_0001.jpg

And when I open the IMG panel I see:

wp_ss_20141107_0002.jpg

It actually shouldn't matter which firmware you have. If you have a 1020, it should just work. I'm really stumped on this. Can you please send me a screenshot of your IMG panel?

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
My attempts at screenshots are not fit for publication, but my image settings are exactly the same as yours.

I suspect that your other settings screenshot holds a vital clue. As you may see (if I manage to attach my fairly crummy screen shot), my settings differ from yours in at least one possibly significant respect.
DSCN0068b.jpg

Your screenshot shows your Software to be Windows Phone 8.1 Update, version 8.10.14192.280.
Mine is plain old Windows Phone 8.1, version 8.10.12393.890.

Whenever I have checked for updates for my phone, it tells me that I am up to date, but that would seem to be incorrect. I will see what I can do to obtain your version of Windows Phone 8.1.

Please don't spend any more time on my behalf.

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Four days ago I wrote :
(I am assuming that my being in the Southern hemisphere could not cause a problem!)

I now know that was a bad assumption. Windows Phone 8.1 Update has not yet reached Australia, and no-one seems to be able to tell us when it will.

Such is life :)

White Emperor

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi RiseUpGames,

I'am very appreciated about the sharpness function so far. Sharpness and color balance options are most important ones for me and none of the wp app can be compared to ProShott about this feature. It saved me from blurry and yellowish photo problems of the L925.

But i want to ask you if you can make it more adustable. For example, for some situations i need sharpness function but the needed amount is between 0 and 1. I mean 0 is useless and 1 is too much. I just wanted the ask if you can do it more adjustable like 6 levels instead of 3 levels, so i can make fine tuning.

Thank you.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My attempts at screenshots are not fit for publication, but my image settings are exactly the same as yours.

I suspect that your other settings screenshot holds a vital clue. As you may see (if I manage to attach my fairly crummy screen shot), my settings differ from yours in at least one possibly significant respect.
View attachment 86893

Your screenshot shows your Software to be Windows Phone 8.1 Update, version 8.10.14192.280.
Mine is plain old Windows Phone 8.1, version 8.10.12393.890.

Whenever I have checked for updates for my phone, it tells me that I am up to date, but that would seem to be incorrect. I will see what I can do to obtain your version of Windows Phone 8.1.

Please don't spend any more time on my behalf.

You can perform a screen shot on your Lumia 1020 by pressing the volume up button and power button simultaneously. Whatever was on your screen when you do this will be saved in your "Saved Pictures" folder - you should also see your screen "flash" quickly with your theme color with a saving message at the top of your screen right after you do this.

Last edited:

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just recently upgraded to a 1520 from a 920 and I'm very impressed with the camera on this thing! It is faster and better! I've heard of the oversampling thing Nokia does that produce an amazing 5 MP image from 16-19 MP. How does ProShot do this? How do I turn oversampling on?

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi RiseUpGames,

I'am very appreciated about the sharpness function so far. Sharpness and color balance options are most important ones for me and none of the wp app can be compared to ProShott about this feature. It saved me from blurry and yellowish photo problems of the L925.

But i want to ask you if you can make it more adustable. For example, for some situations i need sharpness function but the needed amount is between 0 and 1. I mean 0 is useless and 1 is too much. I just wanted the ask if you can do it more adjustable like 6 levels instead of 3 levels, so i can make fine tuning.

Thank you.

I wish I could! But the sharpness algorithms are from Nokia's Imaging SDK, which have very few levels of granularity.

You can perform a screen shot on your Lumia 1020 by pressing the volume up button and power button simultaneously. Whatever was on your screen when you do this will be saved in your "Saved Pictures" folder - you should also see your screen "flash" quickly with your theme color with a saving message at the top of your screen right after you do this.

Yes, if you could, please show me a screenshot. I honestly can't replicate the error, but it might help if I could see what it looks like on your screen. Thank you!

I just recently upgraded to a 1520 from a 920 and I'm very impressed with the camera on this thing! It is faster and better! I've heard of the oversampling thing Nokia does that produce an amazing 5 MP image from 16-19 MP. How does ProShot do this? How do I turn oversampling on?

Oversampling is always on with the 930, ICON, 1020, 1520 (using Nokia's Imaging SDK). Each image is oversampled from the original 20/41MP image :)

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi RiseUpGames,

Thanks to the brief lesson from gpobernado I am now able to post the much better screen shots that you want.

However, I remain practically certain that the origin of my current "problem" (as problems go, it really is not very significant) lies within Microsoft. Since you and I are running different versions of the MS software, it should come as no surprise that your software produces different results on our devices.

I have tried to see if I could persuade MS to update my phone to Windows Phone 8.1 Update by changing my region to USA instead of Australia, but that had no effect. When asked to update, it remained stubbornly as Windows Phone 8.1. I am resigned to having to wait for the inner workings of MS to eventually get around to sending the Update to Australia (by which time you will probably be working with Update 2!).wp_ss_1.pngView attachment 87335

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi Laura,

Thanks for that warning and for deleting my overenthusiastic screenshot.

I was so pleased with being able to produce that screenshot that I didn't think of reviewing it before posting. :-(

Hopefully here is an improved copy.

wp_ss_2.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss