ProShot camera app.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Even though I'm on Android now I still get the 920 out for a shot or two every now and then. Still love this app. By the way are you going to offer incremental steps between the 1,2, and 4 second exposure in the future kinda like how the Lumia Camera app does? Any way here's what I got tonight. Uploaded to Onedrive and edited on my Z3 using the Photoshop Express app.(a few options are unavailable for the Windows Phone app)uploadfromtaptalk1427591662686.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427591671026.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427591682072.jpg

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why is my ProShot 600MB in size?

ProShot gets bloated a lot. Why is this and what can I do to shrink the size? What do I loose if I re-install the app?

The "bloating" happens if you allow ProShot to save a copy of the photos you took within the app - in effect having a photo in your Camera Roll at the same time having another photo in the folder of your App. You may disable this feature if you want - this will prevent the app from duplicating a copy of the photo and the "bloating" will stop.

Minh Dinh

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

Hi RiseUpGames,
I'm using Proshot with Lumia 730. It's a great camera app however I have encounter a problem. Here's how one can recreate the problem:
1. Open Proshot and take a picture
2. Exit Proshot by tapping Start or Back.
3. Re-open Proshot and take a picture again
Then the App just crashes. After that I cannot take any picture, it will just crash after the "click" sound of the camera (maybe save image problem?). Because I think it is a software problem I have tried to change various settings and I notice that if I change the size of the image (just change it to different setting like 16:9 to 4:3), the app will take the picture without any problem. So now I have set it to auto so every time the app open it will change the image size and never crash. I have reset the phone and reinstalled the app but still can't solve the problem.
Can you please look into this problem, even though there's a workaround but it's still very inconvenient. Also I want to know if anyone else has encountered this problem.
Thank you very much.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

ProShot News

I'm currently working on an interim update (v5.6) that will improve / clean up the UI and add aspect ratio selection to the main viewfinder (like in the iOS app). It should load just a hair quicker as well (~0.2-0.3s), especially on older devices. Hope to finish it within the next day or two :)

Work in progress:
wp_ss_20150401_0001.jpg

Even though I'm on Android now I still get the 920 out for a shot or two every now and then. Still love this app. By the way are you going to offer incremental steps between the 1,2, and 4 second exposure in the future kinda like how the Lumia Camera app does? Any way here's what I got tonight. Uploaded to Onedrive and edited on my Z3 using the Photoshop Express app.(a few options are unavailable for the Windows Phone app)View attachment 100663View attachment 100664View attachment 100665

Possibly in v6.0; after this update I've put a freeze on adding new features to v5.X.

Hi RiseUpGames,
I'm using Proshot with Lumia 730. It's a great camera app however I have encounter a problem. Here's how one can recreate the problem:
1. Open Proshot and take a picture
2. Exit Proshot by tapping Start or Back.
3. Re-open Proshot and take a picture again
Then the App just crashes. After that I cannot take any picture, it will just crash after the "click" sound of the camera (maybe save image problem?). Because I think it is a software problem I have tried to change various settings and I notice that if I change the size of the image (just change it to different setting like 16:9 to 4:3), the app will take the picture without any problem. So now I have set it to auto so every time the app open it will change the image size and never crash. I have reset the phone and reinstalled the app but still can't solve the problem.
Can you please look into this problem, even though there's a workaround but it's still very inconvenient. Also I want to know if anyone else has encountered this problem.
Thank you very much.

Thank you so much for documenting the problem! I've actually been getting quite a few emails about similar issues with the 730. Unfortunately I can't replicate the issue on my 520 nor 1020, so I might have to go out and buy the phone.

Just to clarify, are you taking a photo by tapping the camera button only, or are you tapping on an area on the screen to focus, then taking a photo with the camera button? Also, when you re-open the app, do you tap on the app icon, or do you hold the back button to bring up the app list and return to the app from there?

Thank you for any additional info.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

ProShot News

I'm currently working on an interim update (v5.6) that will improve / clean up the UI and add aspect ratio selection to the main viewfinder (like in the iOS app). It should load just a hair quicker as well (~0.2-0.3s), especially on older devices. Hope to finish it within the next day or two :)

Great news!
A newer cleaner UI would be very helpful.
I have trouble hitting the options in the menu at times.

Always look forward to ProShot updates.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Great news!
A newer cleaner UI would be very helpful.
I have trouble hitting the options in the menu at times.

Always look forward to ProShot updates.

The UI changes won't be too drastic, but definitely polishing things up more, and will be flattening out the right menu (I realize now I went a little too overboard with the Gundam-inspired UI idea :p)

Minh Dinh

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

Hi RiseUpGames,
For your questions and some more information:
+ The Lumia 730 doesn't have a physical camera button (sad), so I use the on screen button (AF when in auto focus). Regardless of the focus mode (manual or auto or auto with tapping on screen) the app still crashes, I have tried all these.
+ The app will NOT crash if I use the back button to go back to it, or hold the back button to choose from the app list. So I guess the problem only occurs when I re-open the app by tapping the app icon.
+ Also I tried to see if the way I close the app has any effect and no, by tap the back button to close it or by tap the start button, it still crashes when I re-open it and take picture, regardless of what I do in between too.
+ Additionally, the app crash after the sound of the camera taking picture, the screen goes black and it crashes, and the home screen appear. So I think the app has taken the picture, and some point after that it crashes, before the app can save the photo (no new photo saved).
+ When the app has crashes I cannot take any pictures, nothing I can do until I change the image size or the resolution (just these 2), then the app goes back to normal.
+ I tried install the app on phone or sd card, there is no difference, the problem is still there.
So I'm glad to hear that other people with lumia 730 have the same problem because I have just bought the phone, I'm afraid that there are some hardware error with it haha. But now I guess it's just a software error, right? But anyway please look into this problem and if you need any more information please tell me.
Thank you very much

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Hi RiseUpGames,
For your questions and some more information:
+ The Lumia 730 doesn't have a physical camera button (sad), so I use the on screen button (AF when in auto focus). Regardless of the focus mode (manual or auto or auto with tapping on screen) the app still crashes, I have tried all these.
+ The app will NOT crash if I use the back button to go back to it, or hold the back button to choose from the app list. So I guess the problem only occurs when I re-open the app by tapping the app icon.
+ Also I tried to see if the way I close the app has any effect and no, by tap the back button to close it or by tap the start button, it still crashes when I re-open it and take picture, regardless of what I do in between too.
+ Additionally, the app crash after the sound of the camera taking picture, the screen goes black and it crashes, and the home screen appear. So I think the app has taken the picture, and some point after that it crashes, before the app can save the photo (no new photo saved).
+ When the app has crashes I cannot take any pictures, nothing I can do until I change the image size or the resolution (just these 2), then the app goes back to normal.
+ I tried install the app on phone or sd card, there is no difference, the problem is still there.
So I'm glad to hear that other people with lumia 730 have the same problem because I have just bought the phone, I'm afraid that there are some hardware error with it haha. But now I guess it's just a software error, right? But anyway please look into this problem and if you need any more information please tell me.
Thank you very much

Thank you for the clarification. Dang, this is really strange. What is the OS version that you're running?

Minh Dinh

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

Here:
wp_ss_20150402_0001.png

OS Info
Strange? I thought the other lumia 730 users have similar issue ....

Last edited by a moderator:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Here:
View attachment 101110

OS Info
Strange? I thought the other lumia 730 users have similar issue ....

It's just a strange issue in general :smile: For these reasons:
1) The issue only happens on the 730, and not the majority of Lumias
2) When ProShot is re-launched, it explicitly tells the OS to "start clean", which means it should run the same the 1st time as it does the 100th time.

I'll try to buy a 730 tomorrow so I can get to the bottom of this. Thank you again for the info!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ProShot v5.6 is done!
2.jpg

Change log:

+ UI refresh - many, many tweaks, fixes, optimizations, and improvements
+ Added aspect ratio shortcuts to the main viewfinder
+ Improved startup speed (~0.3-0.5 sec), general performance improvements
+ Improved HDR
+ Drive mode is now reset to 'Normal' on app launch
+ Several bug fixes to aspect ratio, resolution, and point AF

Unfortunately I couldn't find a solution to the Lumia 730 issue in time for publish. It's very odd that the error is only happening on that device. I'll keep investigating, but it might have to wait until the full re-write (v6.0).

Update should go live in the next few days. After that I have a project I need to finish, then it's back to working on v6.0 :)

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
ProShot v5.6 is done!
View attachment 101355

Change log:

+ UI refresh - many, many tweaks, fixes, optimizations, and improvements
+ Added aspect ratio shortcuts to the main viewfinder
+ Improved startup speed (~0.3-0.5 sec), general performance improvements
+ Drive mode is now reset to 'Normal' on app launch
+ Several bug fixes to aspect ratio, resolution, and point AF

Unfortunately I couldn't find a solution to the Lumia 730 issue in time for publish. It's very odd that the error is only happening on that device. I'll keep investigating, but it might have to wait until the full re-write (v6.0).

Update should go live in the next few days. After that I have a project I need to finish, then it's back to working on v6.0 :)

Question about the start up time: Does this also apply for the L1020? If yes, does your app still take full 34MP or 38MP photos? I couldn't test this myself since my L1020 is still in the service center.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Question about the start up time: Does this also apply for the L1020? If yes, does your app still take full 34MP or 38MP photos? I couldn't test this myself since my L1020 is still in the service center.

Yep! It's a bit hard to get a solid number on the improved speed (I'm just using a stopwatch, and app load times can vary by up to 1 second depending on what the phone is doing, apps loaded, still turning on, etc). Still ProShot does consistently load up a hair quicker than the previous build.

Also yes, it does take full 34/38MP photos. They're JPEGs, but they're untouched from the image sensor (unless you apply filters, etc).

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yep! It's a bit hard to get a solid number on the improved speed (I'm just using a stopwatch, and app load times can vary by up to 1 second depending on what the phone is doing, apps loaded, still turning on, etc). Still ProShot does consistently load up a hair quicker than the previous build.

Also yes, it does take full 34/38MP photos. They're JPEGs, but they're untouched from the image sensor (unless you apply filters, etc).

That's great! Does this apply only for L1020's that have the official Denim update?

I'll test this myself once I receive my repaired L1020, and once your app update goes online.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That's great! Does this apply only for L1020's that have the official Denim update?

I'll test this myself once I receive my repaired L1020, and once your app update goes online.

It applies to all devices / OS versions. There's always going to be the fixed overhead of loading the camera hardware itself (which is super slow on the 1020 and really fast on everything else, even the 520). What I did was optimize every other bottleneck pertaining to Silverlight. This is probably the fastest I can make ProShot until the app is rewritten.

Vulpeculus

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
It seems that Proshot wont Crash on my 730 if the app reloads something (like if you Change the resolution, the Rotation in 4:3 or between front/main camera). Maybe there could be a workaround created which forces such a reload after every start?

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It seems that Proshot wont Crash on my 730 if the app reloads something (like if you Change the resolution, the Rotation in 4:3 or between front/main camera). Maybe there could be a workaround created which forces such a reload after every start?

Thank you for the idea! I'll give that a try

Nice, I'm excited for the new update ^_^

Anyway can you implement the Rich Capture tech into a future build?

Sort-of yes, sort-of no. All of the Rich Capture stuff is proprietary Microsoft tech, and there's no public API for it, so I'd have to write my own. Photography is definitely headed into a more mixed-media / computational direction, so it is an area I am interested in exploring :)

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Sort-of yes, sort-of no. All of the Rich Capture stuff is proprietary Microsoft tech, and there's no public API for it, so I'd have to write my own. Photography is definitely headed into a more mixed-media / computational direction, so it is an area I am interested in exploring :)

Thanks for clarifying things sir, I believe implementing this feature in a future update would be great. Its functionality is one that goes beyond novelty. It is especially useful in low-light situations where I do not have the patience and/or the luxury of time to compose my shot.

Sorry for being persistent but ProShot is my favorite camera app for WinPho and I wish it remains competitive :smile:

karan25i

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
proshot on lumia 630

i just want to know if it will be worth to buy proshot app for nokia lumia 630dual sim.as 630 only has 5 mp without flash.so does this app make some difference than lumia camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)