ProShot camera app.

wasabiman123

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Not possible yet, Microsoft is keeping the .DNG API private. But I have hopes that this won't be the case for long. (just a hunch, I have no official info)
Aw man that's some BS... BTW your app is really great, bought it on like 3 devices, thanks for the hard work, I hope they expand those APIs for you!

Ineke Keur

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Already said before but it is stil the same can not make HDR pictures with it because then after taking a picture it starts merging and saving but that does not get change to finish because it just close down and go to the normal window screen I tried restarting Phone I reinstalled it few times but it just keeps doing that and for just making photo's I can use the camera that comes with the Phone got window camera and lumia camera so did not need to buy this for 3 euro or dollar just to make normal pictures thanks would not mind if they wil fix this after al that time
and about normal pictures taking with this app it is not so good even then it has the problem to close and just go to window screen lately it just get worse

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Already said before but it is stil the same can not make HDR pictures with it because then after taking a picture it starts merging and saving but that does not get change to finish because it just close down and go to the normal window screen I tried restarting Phone I reinstalled it few times but it just keeps doing that and for just making photo's I can use the camera that comes with the Phone got window camera and lumia camera so did not need to buy this for 3 euro or dollar just to make normal pictures thanks would not mind if they wil fix this after al that time
and about normal pictures taking with this app it is not so good even then it has the problem to close and just go to window screen lately it just get worse

Which phone, and what is your OS version?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Here's the promised more "controlled" comparison of the level of detail capture by the Lumia Camera, Microsoft Camera and ProShot (at level 1 sharpness). Shots were taken at ISO-100 on a tripod, all the rest at auto. Target was a "No Crossing" Sign around 30 meters away. Criterion for comparison: legibility of the "MMDA" sign on the lower right of the road sign. Zooming was done using the "Zoom" app, and the uploaded images are screenshots of the zoomed-in image (original photos are too large).

Here's the 5-MP version of the image in the view finder, to give the reader an idea on how small the target is (it's the lower right corner on the pink road sign).
WP_20150515_15_44_30_Pro.jpg

Lumia Camera:
wp_ss_20150515_0003.png

Microsoft Camera:
wp_ss_20150515_0005.png

ProShot without live zoom:
wp_ss_20150515_0004.png

ProShot at 10x live digital zoom:
wp_ss_20150515_0006.png

Verdict:
Interestingly, the Lumia Camera seemed to perform the worst in terms of detail recovery. Lumia Camera had a hint of smudging, indicative of a slight movement in the lens assembly even if the camera (or phone) was perfectly still - it's unclear though how this would have happened since the sun was shining brightly and the shutter speed for these photos are at 1/290 sec.

ProShot without live digital zoom could have produced the sharpest image, but at level 1 sharpness the noise was starting to get in the way of detail (level 0 sharpness is simply as not sharp as Lumia Camera and would put ProShot behind Lumia Camera). There were also smudge-like artifacts in the detail. ProShot with 10x live-digital zoom performed slightly better with less noise and less of the smudge-like artifact.

The clear winner in the comparison, as with my previous less-"controlled" comparison, is Microsoft Camera. None of the smudge-artifact, better brightness than the Lumia Camera, less grain than ProShot and the individual letters "MMDA" could individually be recognized.

As an added bonus, I also compared the differences in the lags of these camera apps. Focus was pre-fixed (half-press), and then the shutter was pressed at the moment the tip of the car goes behind or appeared to "touch" the stem of the plant (as shown in the photo, the cars are all behind the same plant). Factoring in my average reaction time of 190-210 milliseconds, I managed to consistently press the shutter such that the last image I see in the screen of my phone is the car's nose "touching" the stem of the plant. Hence, any lags between that point would be shown by how much the nose of the car has passed beyond the stem of the plant. All of the cars were travelling at around 50 kph.

Lumia Camera:
wp_ss_20150515_0008.jpg

Microsoft Camera:
wp_ss_20150515_0007.png

ProShot:
wp_ss_20150515_0009.jpg

All of the three apps had the same lag time in their unzoomed and zoomed configuration, i.e. the lag for Microsoft camera without zoom is the same with the lag of Microsoft camera with live digital zoom, etc.

Again, the clear winner is Microsoft Camera with the nose of the car far from the end of the white lane marker.

The difference in lag between ProShot and Lumia Camera is very small, but by a fraction of a fraction of a second ProShot takes second place from Lumia Camera, placing Lumia Camera at the third and last position.

Conclusion:
In terms of detail recovery and shutter lag, Microsoft Camera with maximum live digital zoom clearly wins, with ProShot in second place and Lumia Camera in third place. One must note, however, that without live digital zoom, Microsoft Camera won't be able to recovery as much detail simply by the fact that Microsoft Camera takes low resolution photos.

Breever

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Great test gpobernardo! I am using Lumia 925 and I am frustrated of smudgind those fine details that Lumia camera does, which makes pictures look slightly out of focus. I would love to use ProShot but when I delete pictures, after reboot they appear again, it frustrates me a lot!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
What about Camera 360 sight?

I've stayed away from Camera 360 sight (or was it Camera 360, can't recall, but those two are under the same developer anyway) after a rather unpleasant exchange with one of their developers or representatives. At first they advertised their app as the fastest loading full resolution camera app, but upon testing their app only took 5MP photos (using the L1020). I gave them feedback about how fast the camera loaded and the clean UI but mentioned the lack in resolution. Then I received a response saying something like "all lumia phones take only 5MP photos" - clearly the developer or representative who replied to me didn't know what he or she was talking about. Uninstalled Camera 360 Sight after that and never reinstalled it. They changed the description of their app soon after, explicitly saying that their app takes 5MP photos, but it seems that they removed this statement in the description again. Some of the more recent feedback indicates that the app hasn't improved since.

Update:
I've just tested Camera360 Sight - the output can be toggled, up to 33+MP with my L1020.:cool:

Last edited:

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I've stayed away from Camera 360 sight (or was it Camera 360, can't recall, but those two are under the same developer anyway) after a rather unpleasant exchange with one of their developers or representatives. At first they advertised their app as the fastest loading full resolution camera app, but upon testing their app only took 5MP photos (using the L1020). I gave them feedback about how fast the camera loaded and the clean UI but mentioned the lack in resolution. Then I received a response saying something like "all lumia phones take only 5MP photos" - clearly the developer or representative who replied to me didn't know what he or she was talking about. Uninstalled Camera 360 Sight after that and never reinstalled it. They changed the description of their app soon after, explicitly saying that their app takes 5MP photos, but it seems that they removed this statement in the description again. Some of the more recent feedback indicates that the app hasn't improved since.

Hmm, thanks for the information. They removed certain filters which i really liked and then insisted that its still there. Probably something to do with their employees being Chinese and have poor understanding. Not being racist, im Chinese too but sometimes that's just how it is unfortunately.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, thanks for the information. They removed certain filters which i really liked and then insisted that its still there. Probably something to do with their employees being Chinese and have poor understanding. Not being racist, im Chinese too but sometimes that's just how it is unfortunately.

It's probably due to language barrier rather than "poor understanding" - I've got Chinese ancestors, too. Regardless, I think I've already got all the camera apps I need in my phone: Microsoft Camera, Lumia Camera (the defaults) and ProShot.:cool:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Great test gpobernardo! I am using Lumia 925 and I am frustrated of smudgind those fine details that Lumia camera does, which makes pictures look slightly out of focus. I would love to use ProShot but when I delete pictures, after reboot they appear again, it frustrates me a lot!

Are you saying that the pictures you take with ProShot can't be deleted? There's an issue with Microsoft's API that deleted pics may sometimes still show up in the Files app (as just stub files with no data in them). A phone restart does take care of the final clean up. This will be fixed when the app is updated for Windows 10 and the better APIs.

Breever

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I am trying to say that after deletion and phone restart they reappear, and can be seen only through pc, after reboot I can delete them entirely. That is the only reason what keeps me away from using ProShot as my main camera app, I am really enjoying how fast it launches compared to lumia camera, quick settings and filters which corrects greenish tint on my L925.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to say that after deletion and phone restart they reappear, and can be seen only through pc, after reboot I can delete them entirely. That is the only reason what keeps me away from using ProShot as my main camera app, I am really enjoying how fast it launches compared to lumia camera, quick settings and filters which corrects greenish tint on my L925.

Do you have "Save Original" turned on? I experienced the same problem before, but with this setting turned off I haven't experienced the re-spawning of deleted photos... not yet at least.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Sort-of off topic update:

I've got Camera360 Sight installed in my L1020 now (they've updated the app and it now takes full resolution photos). I'll try to compare the amount of detail it can capture at high digital magnification soon. In the meantime, the launch time of Camera360 Sight is consistently under 2 seconds (around 1.4 seconds), making it the fastest high resolution camera app I've tried so far.

@RiseUpGames: How's this possible?:wink:

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

I've got Camera360 Sight installed in my L1020 now (they've updated the app and it now takes full resolution photos). I'll try to compare the amount of detail it can capture at high digital magnification soon. In the meantime, the launch time of Camera360 Sight is consistently under 2 seconds (around 1.4 seconds), making it the fastest high resolution camera app I've tried so far.

Looking forward to hear from you ~

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone! This is a bit off topic, but I know quite a few of you have been asking about this. Yes, I am working on an Android version, and yes, it is almost complete :)

Android Teaser.jpg

https://twitter.com/RiseUpGames/status/600752647012913154

No further details yet, but it combines the best of the WP and iOS versions into a single package, and offers a glimpse into what I will be doing with the W10 version. More info next week!

One main thing :)
The biggest bottleneck in WP is WP8.0 Silverlight. It's dog slow, specifically combing the Visual Tree (think html, but for WP). ProShot has a very detailed and rich UI, with a lot of animating elements. This takes a long time for Silverlight to load. By contrast, Camera360 Sight has a very sparse UI, with (from what I can tell) no way of doing MF / ISO / Shutter adjustments, Live Filters, camera roll integrated with the viewfinder, basically all of the awesome stuff that makes ProShot, ProShot.

Not to worry though, the rewrite for ProShot will greatly simplify the Visual Tree for very fast loads.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

The technical answer for what is going on is that the MediaLibrary API is (for some reason) retaining a handle to the saved image file. This is not ProShot's doing, but a bug in Microsoft's API. The way around it is to make sure ProShot is closed (hold back button, close app) before deleting your photos.

This won't be a problem in the new version because it won't use that API.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
One main thing :)
The biggest bottleneck in WP is WP8.0 Silverlight. It's dog slow, specifically combing the Visual Tree (think html, but for WP). ProShot has a very detailed and rich UI, with a lot of animating elements. This takes a long time for Silverlight to load. By contrast, Camera360 Sight has a very sparse UI, with (from what I can tell) no way of doing MF / ISO / Shutter adjustments, Live Filters, camera roll integrated with the viewfinder, basically all of the awesome stuff that makes ProShot, ProShot.

Not to worry though, the rewrite for ProShot will greatly simplify the Visual Tree for very fast loads.

Spot on! I was thinking along the same lines, but since I'm not a developer or a programmer it's nice to know that it is indeed the difference in the complexity in the UI and the "lack" in customization options for the camera settings that lead to the difference in start up time... not to mention that Camera360 Sight doesn't even have the ability to take videos (I think - can't find it).

Looking forward eagerly to the re-write of ProShot.:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon