Banking apps; Windows Phone's real Achilles heel (in the UK at least)

Metrosity

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
***** Instagram, ***** Path and uber f**k market share. The real litmus test for a consumer mobile OS is banking apps as Banks are notoriously slow adopters of new tech, so it would be great if we can use this post to track all the banking apps (or ways to contact banks who haven't made one yet)

I'll start with the state of the UK banks, if you guys can post the links to your local banks (with contact links and the country) and I'll add them to this post.

UK

HSBC (@HSBC_UK_Help)

"Hi (my name), we don't have any plans at the moment, thanks for your suggestion. keep an eye on our website for updates ^DR"

Natwest (@natwest_help, app link)

They've released the app, linked above.

LloydsTSB (@askLloydsTSB)

"Hi, I'm CH. We’re looking at ways to improve Mobile Banking for customers across different devices. No solid plans though. 1/2"

Santander (@santanderukhelp)

"Hi (my name), A compatible app is currently being tested by Santander and will be released very soon. ^NM"

Barclays (@barclaysonline)

" Hi (my name). We’re currently monitoring the growth of the Windows Phone OS. We’ll let you know when we have any more news. ^DN"

RBS (@RBS_Help, app link)

See Natwest

Halifax (@askhalifaxbank)

"Hi, I'm GJ. Although we’re always investigating ways to improve Mobile Banking for customers, we have no solid plans yet, sorry. 1/2"

Nationwide (@AskNationwide)

No plans.

Smile (Co-op, smile.co.uk - the internet bank)

Awaiting response.

First Direct (@firstdirecthelp)

"Hi - thanks for your request. I've passed this on to our Development team who monitor all suggestions for changes. Thanks again"

ING Direct UK (@INGdirectuk)

They don't offer apps for any platform, only a mobile optimised site.

New Zealand

Kiwibank (@KiwibankNZ)

"Hi, sorry, no plans right now. Currently less than 1% of our web traffic comes from Windows phones. If that increases considerably, we'd consider making a Windows app. ^RM"

Canada

National Bank (of Canada) (@
nationalbank)

No plans

RBC (@RBC)

No plans

TD (Canada) (@td_canada)

No plans

Scotia Bank (@scotiahelps)

No plans

Bank of Montreal (@bmo)

No plans

Canadian Bank Of Imperial Commerce (@cibc)

No plans

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Apps are one thing and can be worked around using internet on the phone. NFC capability should be first on the list, let me pay for my McDonalds breakfast with my phone!!!

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I actually messaged Nationwide on Facebook the other day, responded;

Hi , thanks for your interest. We don't have any immediate plans however we are currently watching the market with interest, thanks ^LM

NFC would be nice but you need a certain SIM card so it's more of a carrier thing.

Metrosity

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

NFC would be nice but you need a certain SIM card so it's more of a carrier thing.

Ahh Nationwide, I forgot about them, can you post the Facebook URL?

NFC is awesome but still a fringe technology, I think if Apple adds NFC to the Iphone 5S/6 we'll a definite increase in NFC accessories etc though.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ahh Nationwide, I forgot about them, can you post the Facebook URL?

NFC is awesome but still a fringe technology, I think if Apple adds NFC to the Iphone 5S/6 we'll a definite increase in NFC accessories etc though.

I already contacted Nationwide, they have no plans for a WP version, as for RBS, they will have their banking app released at the same time as NatWest.

nokiageek

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I tweeted Tsb and got that same response, i may try Halifax but Tsb own them so may get a similar response
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Board Express

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Thought NFC transactions would have been more of a bank thing - like linking the wallet function on WP8 with debit card details to the nfc readers that are already available - i know Barclays already have those tags you can use. I would have thought it would only be a carrier thing if you were doing stuff like topping up your phone if you were on PAYG or adding more data.

Maybe im mistaken and have got confused somewhere along the way.

nokiageek

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Just tweeted Halifax Banking UK to ask if they are producing an app as the platform is rapidly growing in the UK.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Board Express

Metrosity

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments guys, as far as I'm concerned whoever releases an app first gets my custom. Any other Europeans, Americans want to chip in about their banks?

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
First Direct:
"Hi - thanks for your request. I've passed this on to our Development team who monitor all suggestions for changes. Thanks again" (from their suggestion pages) - A meaningless statement really.
and
"Hi. We are not currently developing an App for Windows phones but it may be something we may implement in the future. ^MG" (via twitter)

Last edited:

Metrosity

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
First Direct: "Hi - thanks for your request. I've passed this on to our Development team who monitor all suggestions for changes. Thanks again"

A meaningless statement really.

Yeah, those canned statements are utterly useless. I'll add First Direct to the post, cheers.

BPuk

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been badgering First Direct about it as well. Would also be nice if energy suppliers - British Gas, eon would follow suit. I am tempted to get an iPod touch just for the apps! Can use me 920 as hotspot and tether! Apps appear on iOS first, then Android and then maybe WP! Shame really as I think the OS would gain serious traction if more companies released apps quickly rather than "monitoring market share".

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
@BPuk Agreed; I contacted British Gas about their app a while ago, but they said they had (at the time) no plans for a WP app. This was before WP8 however, so I don't know if they changed their stance since (although I doubt it). I was hoping that Windows 8 would get these businesses to develop for the platform and at the same time WP8.

BPuk

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
It's just a real slow process with businesses unfortunately. I did notice that all the British Gas engineers that have visited my house all used iPhones!

Just ordered a card on moonpig and thought I'd check to see what apps are available and only iPhone and Android :(

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I would love a banking app, in fact, I can't understand why MS don't offer huge assistance to certain staples. For example, get the banks, supermarkets, cinemas, and chains if other big names involved and the rest will follow.

Just been to put a comment on RBS website. There are a few on there already. I added mine too.

Last edited:

Metrosity

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I would love a banking app, in fact, I can't understand why MS don't offer huge assistance to certain staples. For example, get the banks, supermarkets, cinemas, and chains if other big names involved and the rest will follow.

Just been to put a comment on RBS website. There are a few on there already. I added mine too.

This so much, seriously, forgot the instagrams of the world and focus on the important apps i.e banking apps etc. Patient waiting is all we can do for the moment, it took ages when Android first started getting consumer acceptance and it'll be the same for Windows Phone.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Me to my bank Do you have any plans for a windows phone 8 app ??

Kiwibank Hi , sorry, no plans right now. Currently less than 1% of our web traffic comes from Windows phones. If that increases considerably, we'd consider making a Windows app. ^RM

This is the response i got from my bank, its a bit short sighted.

BPuk

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
This is the response i got from my bank, its a bit short sighted.

It is short sighted. The percentage of web traffic will be small as it can be a pain logging into your banks website using phone browser. I only log into first direct as a last resort using mobly.

Metrosity

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It is short sighted. The percentage of web traffic will be small as it can be a pain logging into your banks website using phone browser. I only log into first direct as a last resort using mobly.

Oh definitely short sighted, the mobile site for most banks (except Barclays which has a pretty damn good one) is not sufficient at all. I understand that they want a ROI if they build an app for Windows Phone but surely catering to all their customers regardless of the device they use should ultimately be the main goal for a bank, no?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb