Banking apps; Windows Phone's real Achilles heel (in the UK at least)

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
This is what Suntrust told me:

"Good morning, Lee. As the mobile device market changes, we will be adding to our list of supported devices. Thanks for your suggestion. We will share it with our Mobile team. "

-_-

BPuk

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Tweeted first direct and they said they had no plans at present but will pass on comments back to dev team.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately this is Nationwide's response:

"08 March 2013: Thank you for your suggestion. We do understand that this may be frustrating for you at this time. However, when designing our mobile app we assessed the current market and made a decision to implement a solution that would be suitable for most customers.

At the moment, take up of other devices is an area we are continuing to watch, but given the current penetration rates in the market, we have no immediate plans to support Windows phones.

We regularly review these decisions and will support further devices should the situation change. "

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree, banking apps are lacking. I am opening a new checking account soon and I'm trying to figure out which bank to go with. Here are the banks in my area (I live in Ohio, USA):

First Merit
US Bank
Key Bank
PNC
Huntington
Chase

I know that Chase has a really great WP app, however it's further away from my house than the rest of the banks. PNC does not have an app, but they are pretty close and I heard that they are working on an app. I don't believe the others have an app/plan on making one.

So it's basically between Chase and PNC. Should I be making a decision based on a mobile app? I feel like the answer is no, but I've never had a bank account before so I wouldn't know the convenience of an app. What do you guys suggest? Thanks!

AndyGriff

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the process of moving my accounts from Nationwide to Natwest (in the UK) solely because Nationwide have given me fob-off answers on each of the three occasions I have asked them about developing a Windows Phone app. They don't even have a mobile version of their online banking site -- their "workaround", if you can even call it that, is to log into the desktop online banking site with your 4-odd-inch mobile screen. Natwest do have a Windows Phone 8 app, which gets almost unanimous praise, hence my decision.

A mobile app is as good a reason as any to base your decision on, I reckon. Bank charges and interest rates all seem pretty much of a muchness (in the UK, anyway; I'm not sure if it's different in the U.S.) and, having banked with three different banks over the last 23 years, I can honestly say that trying to base your decision on customer service and account holder reviews is futile: they're all as incompetent and morally bankrupt as each other.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
So it took Barclays about a year to release the app...

Jeez.

Santander have been saying they are working on an app for a number of months so we may have to wait another 8+ months!

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
To be fair... WP app support in Canada is generally dismal. It's almost as though every major business here made it a point not to have WP apps.

Colonel Rafiki

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Update from First Direct:
Hi @First Direct Customer, thanks for your message. No update as to when the app will be released I'm afraid.
Hopefully it'll be this year but it's still being developed at the moment. We'll keep you posted on here when we have more info.

Doesn't sound promising. :eck:

matty032

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Branch Banking and Trust doesn't have a WinPhone app. They do for both IOS, and Roid.

Sent from my HTC X8 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss