The FUTURE of Apps. No ecosystem needed. WEBAPPS.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No notifications = a web browser.

One of the prime reasons why advocate of apps rave so much is because they want to be notified when their friends post a pic of their baby's first diaper change! If web apps need me to go to my content, it kills WP philosophy where content comes out of the app, onto the live tile TO YOU, instead of you opening each and every app to see if there is new content.

So, this isn't a future of apps, this is the past of apps before Apple created apps.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
No notifications = a web browser.

One of the prime reasons why advocate of apps rave so much is because they want to be notified when their friends post a pic of their baby's first diaper change! If web apps need me to go to my content, it kills WP philosophy where content comes out of the app, onto the live tile TO YOU, instead of you opening each and every app to see if there is new content.

So, this isn't a future of apps, this is the past of apps before Apple created apps.
so your saying games and apps like maps are a waste? I don't want a live tile for Pandora or Netflix. Plus, developers are working on a way to implement notifications, like a dynamic logo specified to a login.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Rather than criticizing Microsoft to use do not track, the web standard community should come up a universal way to deliver notifications to browsers - so lightweight apps like Facebook (they suck, that's why their HTML5 app is so bad) and Domino's Pizza can be just web pages. This will save a lot of development costs (don't need to buy access to all app stores, no need to use mac to develop an app for iOS)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
so your saying games and apps like maps are a waste? I don't want a live tile for Pandora or Netflix. Plus, developers are working on a way to implement notifications, like a dynamic logo specified to a login.

Are you telling me games and maps have webapps that will notify me of my game scores or leaderboard changes? Or notify me of traffic alerts? Will webapps show me what I'm playing on my Pandora or what movie review is recent in Netflix, without me going inside it?

It's about content delivery. If the user needs to go to the content, he did that in 2005 and WM failed. But if the content comes to the users, he can choose where he wants to waste his time.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Rather than criticizing Microsoft to use do not track, the web standard community should come up a universal way to deliver notifications to browsers - so lightweight apps like Facebook (they suck, that's why their HTML5 app is so bad) and Domino's Pizza can be just web pages. This will save a lot of development costs (don't need to buy access to all app stores, no need to use mac to develop an app for iOS)

If that happens then all the app stores are going to lose the fees they charge developers i.e. $99/year in WP case. That revenue for big players like Microsoft and Apple amounts to a lot, so I don't think they will encourage web apps that easily. Maybe 10 years down the line? May be not.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
If that happens then all the app stores are going to lose the fees they charge developers i.e. $99/year in WP case. That revenue for big players like Microsoft and Apple amounts to a lot, so I don't think they will encourage web apps that easily. Maybe 10 years down the line? May be not.
but then Microsoft wouldn't lose another few thousand people NOT buying the phone due to the lack of Hulu, Instagram, Youtube App, and Game like Subway Surfers and Temple run. I convinced 7 people to switch to windows phones. 1 person stood completely loyal, 5 switched due to lack of apps, one is neutral because she has an iPod.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
but then Microsoft wouldn't lose another few thousand people NOT buying the phone due to the lack of Hulu, Instagram, Youtube App, and Game like Subway Surfers and Temple run. I convinced 7 people to switch to windows phones. 1 person stood completely loyal, 5 switched due to lack of apps, one is neutral because she has an iPod.

Just wondering as I saw only 2 games there .... am I missing something ? ... are you seriously about Temple Run ? ... well, even playing fb games seems to impossible by cp browser (just an example, my friend asked how she can play "Candy Crush Saga" by his WP phone, but I did not find a way to do it, even through fb games - it is not supported through cp browser) ...

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering as I saw only 2 games there .... am I missing something ? ... are you seriously about Temple Run ? ... well, even playing fb games seems to impossible by cp browser (just an example, my friend asked how she can play "Candy Crush Saga" by his WP phone, but I did not find a way to do it, even through fb games - it is not supported through cp browser) ...

no but they can be ported. Only problem is they won't be optimized per device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos