WhatsApp 2.9.3

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
thank u heijenoort
i did it manually by going to whatsapp section in the store when i pressed it it showed me the update button ;)
but supposed to be another way to update an app right ?
and my store Region is Egypt (i think few WP8 users there in Egy)

some people do not get notifications of new updates, I used to suffer from that, the problem just went away

howdysir

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
2.9.2 went fine.

2.9.3 has killed my phone.

Installed and uninstalled three times. Each time I install, my phone starts to lock up. Get black screens, wont respond.

Delete whatsapp and it goes away. Now I cannot use it. Ugh.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
+1 definitely look VERY native. Glad to see them at least taking UI seriously, if not functionality at core!

First thing I noticed was the proper usage of notification on the live tile! Nice... Now if they let us choose the back ground colour of the tile, that's allowed no? I'd like to be able to pick whatsapp green for the tile back ground.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Press the volume button after you exit WhatsApp and you'd know! ;) WhatsApp uses the sound streaming API to keep itself 'alive'
Just use Stop the Music after finishing a chat and it closes the music stream. You still get notifications. Stupid workaround, but keeps the battery from draining for now...

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't want to use the work around. In WP 8 notifications seem to work okay, in that case why they need use Audio API and drain our batteries? I feel that it is a poor programming. Moreover, I don't know how foolproof is windows notification system. Even, Skype is arbitrary in delivering messages. I'm still patiently waiting for MS to integrate Skype and I don't have to use any of these messengers again.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just use Stop the Music after finishing a chat and it closes the music stream. You still get notifications. Stupid workaround, but keeps the battery from draining for now...

Nah, I just refuse to use it until they fix that.

what do you mean?

To say they can take their app and shove it is basically a way of saying I'm not going to use it. As for the screen print, that audio track is WhatsApp keeping itself alive. And I won't stand for it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't want to use the work around. In WP 8 notifications seem to work okay, in that case why they need use Audio API and drain our batteries? I feel that it is a poor programming. Moreover, I don't know how foolproof is windows notification system. Even, Skype is arbitrary in delivering messages. I'm still patiently waiting for MS to integrate Skype and I don't have to use any of these messengers again.

They need this because WP7.x guys don't have keep WiFi alive option in OS.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
me too, still don't understand whats wrong here. Everything seems fine on me.

There is a small sign like WiFi on left hand side when you press vol up or down. That sign means "phone is streaming music online". Whatsapp is abusing that and instead of streaming music, is streaming fake data. In WP7.x devices this is the only way WiFi connection can stay alive. Whatsapp can then deliver notifications for those users more reliably. We don't need it anymore on WP8. We have an option to keep it alive manually if we wish. However, this 24x7 audio streaming is like listening to online radio or Spotify song streaming all the time. It kills the battery. But this cant be solved until they decide to make separate apps for WP7.x and 8 or just take away always keep WiFi on my streaming songs from WP7.x users. Th fact that its been like this for nearly a year and is certified by Store, means Microsoft is aware of the abuse and thinks its better to have this Whatsapp than no whatsapp. Do you see it now?

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure its not actually sending and receiving data like if you were streaming music. Its just pretending it is to fool the os restrictions. Ive not noticed a lot of data usage from whatsapp and no major affect on battery life either

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
There is a small sign like WiFi on left hand side when you press vol up or down. That sign means "phone is streaming music online". Whatsapp is abusing that and instead of streaming music, is streaming fake data. In WP7.x devices this is the only way WiFi connection can stay alive. Whatsapp can then deliver notifications for those users more reliably. We don't need it anymore on WP8. We have an option to keep it alive manually if we wish. However, this 24x7 audio streaming is like listening to online radio or Spotify song streaming all the time. It kills the battery. But this cant be solved until they decide to make separate apps for WP7.x and 8 or just take away always keep WiFi on my streaming songs from WP7.x users. Th fact that its been like this for nearly a year and is certified by Store, means Microsoft is aware of the abuse and thinks its better to have this Whatsapp than no whatsapp. Do you see it now?
Is that stream actually sending/receiving data constantly? Because that would kill data usage.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
hmmm i wish i hadnt upgraded now 2.9.3 seems to be a lot more power hungry, i mean my battery life is dropping like made ....i doubt it will last the day

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

this is worrying, i just posted that my battery life is cack now... so best unistall it for now.... im travelling to italy tomorrow will this ramp up my data usage?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Is that stream actually sending/receiving data constantly? Because that would kill data usage.

this is worrying, i just posted that my battery life is cack now... so best unistall it for now.... im travelling to italy tomorrow will this ramp up my data usage?

Somewhere on this forum or XDA lies an email correspondence with Whatsapp support in 2012, when they confirmed it will stream at regular points and ping back only in small KBs as good as you receiving a text on Whatsapp every so often. This way it keeps connection to Whatsapp notifications regular. Apparently that was the only way back in WP7.5 days that Whatsapp figured they can deliver reliable notifications. The WiFi-on isn't just for keeping WiFi on to deliver messages for guys who don't use mobile data, but also to keep reliable delivery. All they really need is invest in their servers. I don't blame them much as these guys have gained overwhelming popularity in just 4 years since the inception of Whatsapp on iOS. They were/are under prepared.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb