04-03-2013 08:03 PM
54 123
tools
    Live Tiles ARE the notification centre.

Really don't understand why people want to turn WP into Android..... Just learn to use the OS features... It's easy!!!
    Agreed, and app devs need to understand this too.
    03-31-2013 01:43 PM
    +1 to the above post! Live tiles ARE the "notification centre". Now on the flip side there are some improvements to lock screen/toasts and reliability of notifications that need to be made.
    03-31-2013 01:57 PM
    Live Tiles ARE the notification centre.

Really don't understand why people want to turn WP into Android..... Just learn to use the OS features... It's easy!!!
    Man, you couldn't have said it better...I've always thought the exact same thing. The only thing that I think ms just dropped the ball on when it comes to notifications is to show emails when they come in...similar to text notifications.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    03-31-2013 02:09 PM
    +1 to the above post! Live tiles ARE the "notification centre". Now on the flip side there are some improvements to lock screen/toasts and reliability of notifications that need to be made.
    There still has to be the option to enable it vs. hiding it. Just the presence of the notification center in the OS is needed to shut people up. Although Live Tiles provide me with all my notifications, it would be good to have a separate screen for notifications for those people who are on-the-go and can't scroll through their start screen and click on every tile that has a notification. I.e a swipe to the right from the lock screen would provide extremely quick access to everything notification.
    03-31-2013 02:12 PM
    I second the right swipe in WP as a natural way to invoke the notification center. As for Unification, the developer tends to focus more on quantity than on quality. Look at Gleek - it could be the best TW app if only it had more polish and was faster :/. Rare to see devoted developers on WP like them, but still, I would like them to focuse a bit more.
    03-31-2013 02:50 PM
    Not knocking the developers, as they are clearly trying to give the 'Android' crowd what they want....

I have never had a problem with Live Tile notifications. Everything works for every tile. 15 minute spacing for e-mails is good for me.
    I tend to group all the Live Tile apps together, so they are easily accessible if I'm out and about.

A lot of WP users just can't change their mindset about how the OS works and the integration aspects. If they did they would see that you don't need a Notification Centre. It's all built in.

A Notification Centre negates the need for Live Tiles, and is just another intermediate step to the information they want.
    I've seen Android owners with a Notification Centre fiddling around with it, opening the correct app etc, etc.... I've already checked the Live Tiles or Lockscreen and my phone is back in my pocket... Suckers!!!!!

If MS releases a 'native' NC, I won't be using it. There's no need...
    03-31-2013 03:38 PM
    Sp needs a notification center. Anyone who thinks live tiles are the answer is crazy. Most apps dont use live tiles and the ones that do dont work properly all the time . We need a notification center to log our missed notifications. I have a galaxy s3 and l920 . Being able to pull down my notification list along wirh quick options is epic.
    irvin792 and Mystictrust like this.
    03-31-2013 07:11 PM
    Sp needs a notification center. Anyone who thinks live tiles are the answer is crazy. Most apps dont use live tiles and the ones that do dont work properly all the time . We need a notification center to log our missed notifications. I have a galaxy s3 and l920 . Being able to pull down my notification list along wirh quick options is epic.
    I don't have android but the drop down notifications and quick settings make me very envious
    03-31-2013 07:22 PM
    I respect what these guys are trying to do. Do I need to see each and every notification that my phone gives off in a notification center? No. My live tiles do a fairly good at-a-glance job of that. But how about le wild toasts that aren't associated with a notification on a tile, or toasts from an app that isn't pinned? (Why isn't it pinned? Maybe you forgot to pin it. Maybe you didn't care to pin it because you don't use it often. Maybe the live tile for that app doesn't provide a notification for all updates - i.e. A message in a word game vs your turn to move)

I've been the 'victim' of upwards of 8 annoying notifications while on a phone call, only to find maybe 2 reflected on my live tiles. There might even be an app or two on my phone that provides random toasts, and maybe I want to turn them off - but if I can't catch the toasts I have no idea which app it is (and if that app's live tile doesn't reflect those toasts, I have to go through the settings of every app on my phone and hope I can find it).

This has nothing to do with catering to the Android crowd or anything like that - there are legitimate reasons to at least aggregate missed toasts.

I think the only other alternative to having a notification center is for Microsoft to do all of the following:

1) Provide an option for all toasts to remain stacked on top of each other on screen until dismissed
    2) Require all apps to have a separate counter (or update one main counter) on their own live tile for every type of notification, including toasts. This would have to be enforced during the app submission/approval process
    3) Require & automatically pin to start apps that provide toasts/notifications upon install -OR- provide a counter in the app list when an app sends a toast

(Another alternative to a notification center: Provide an option in the settings menu that lists each and every app on your phone that sends out toasts. You have the option of overriding that app and turning off its toasts from there. As an added bonus, it could provide the last time that app sent out a toast or something)
    03-31-2013 07:58 PM
    Anyone who thinks live tiles are the answer is crazy. Most apps dont use live tiles and the ones that do dont work properly all the time.
    All my apps that use toasts and live tiles work correctly. Well except FB, which we all know is garbage.

Everything else works fine. I'd suggest stop using garbage apps.
    03-31-2013 08:33 PM
    Unification is releasing today/tomorrow depending where you live!
    03-31-2013 08:38 PM
    Unification is releasing today/tomorrow depending where you live!
    Watch out for signs of cruel April Fools jokes arising from this Instagram chaos. Photoplay ftw!!!
    03-31-2013 08:59 PM
    Watch out for signs of cruel April Fools jokes arising from this Instagram chaos. Photoplay ftw!!!
    This one is real! LD tweeted it *before* 1st April kicked in ;)
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    03-31-2013 09:11 PM
    It is now live, just downloaded
    04-01-2013 04:07 AM
    It is now live, just downloaded
    Yeah sure :P
    04-01-2013 04:36 AM
    Seriously, not an April Fools, it is available in UK store
    04-01-2013 04:39 AM
    However, it isn't going to be much use until the apps waiting certification are available
    04-01-2013 04:44 AM
    All my apps that use toasts and live tiles work correctly. Well except FB, which we all know is garbage.

Everything else works fine. I'd suggest stop using garbage apps.
    Perfectly put!!! Install only the apps you use regularly.

I've seen 50 + apps on peoples WP phones... Why??? Loads of Live Tiles on the home screen too. And these people wonder why their Live Tiles and notifications don't work, and battery life is poor....
    04-01-2013 05:51 AM
    http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...f-185e97dc5cf8
    04-01-2013 06:17 AM

I've seen 50 + apps on peoples WP phones... Why??? Loads of Live Tiles on the home screen too. And these people wonder why their Live Tiles and notifications don't work, and battery life is poor....
    I'm sorry, but what? Why should someone limit the way they use the phone just so that it would work as advertised. They're probably holding it wrong too right...
    Mystictrust likes this.
    04-01-2013 07:10 AM

I think there are some apps who just have sh***y functionality no matter how many apps you have installed or pinned to the home screen
    Mystictrust likes this.
    04-01-2013 07:35 AM
    I'm sorry, but what? Why should someone limit the way they use the phone just so that it would work as advertised. They're probably holding it wrong too right...
    It was a valid point, mate.

How many apps do you realistically use on a daily basis??? 6??

Put all the apps and Live Tiles you want, but don't complain when your battery lasts half a day. There are hundreds of posts about battery life, or the lack of.... Also battery metering apps. It's like owning an Android device again.....
    04-01-2013 07:37 AM

Put all the apps and Live Tiles you want, but don't complain when your battery lasts half a day. There are hundreds of posts about battery life, or the lack of.... Also battery metering apps. It's like owning an Android device again.....
    even 50 live tiles shouldn't be a problem, since they "only" update every 30 minutes. I have a developer version of TimeMe pinned that updates every minute (so, should count as 30 apps, shouldn't it?) and still the battery lasts at least a day with normal usage, except when I use Nokia reader. Then it lasts 2 hours, but that's a known problem.
    04-01-2013 08:02 AM
    I'm a bit disappointed at the interface. Liquid Daffodil is usually pretty good at adding a bit of personality to their designs, though I can see why they wanted to make this look as native as possible. The notification list is a bit too squished, it could do with some resized fonts or more spacing. The title's too large, they should have gone with a smaller one or the pivot view. I don't see the utility in the recent apps view, it takes up so much space and doesn't show you anything past what you used recently? The main screen should be dedicated to seeing your notifications and filtering them. The "all apps" screen doesn't seem like the best implementation of a filter that could have been thought up. While I'm in la-la-land, it would be awesome if you could assign custom metadata to apps so you can have categorised lists of notifications.

Hopefully this takes off though, just my honest critique :]
    04-01-2013 08:08 AM

I'm not saying it doesn't(or does for that matter) have an effect on performance and battery life. I'm saying that it shouldn't.
    As you said, this isn't Android, a user shouldn't micromanage what they do, its supposed to just work. And yet, here we are finding ourselves in a situation where we need to.

We need to stop defending WPs shortcomings. If apps can mess up the user experience so much just by being installed, there's something wrong, either with the OS or the certification process. Right now its looking like we have the worst of both worlds, iOSs closed platform and Android stability.
    Mystictrust likes this.
    04-01-2013 04:25 PM
54 123