The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-04-2013 04:45 PM
50 12
tools
    Do any other Apps let your stream based off Genre's, like Slacker? I may have totally missed it, but I don't see anything like this in Zune on my phone. "Playlist" in Zune is terrible, IMO. My issues with Slacker are, limited selection. I get tired of the same stuff all the time. Oh... The damn App doesn't work! Like, at all. If I'm able to actually get a channel streaming (haha, yeah right), good luck getting beyond 1 song. Lastly, Nickleback is NOT hard rock! Come on... I don't hate Nickleback, but let's atleast get the genre's right.

I love Zune, and will continue to pay for it just for the offline cache ability, but I need something else to "discover" new music based off my interests.

I have considered iHeartRadio and just trying a bunch of rock stations from bigger cities. My local station is terrible. Rdio isn't what I'm looking for. I have a hard time swallowing another $10 to pay for Spotify. Even if I did, the App never actually started a song during my free trial. (There is a theme of streaming Apps not working here...) Pandora is not what I want, even if we had it. I guess I haven't really looking into Last.fm.

If I'm wrong about the ability of these Apps, please let me know. For instance, if Rdio can play based off Genre alone. At a quick glance, I can even add individual songs to my "Collection" only whole CD's. That can't be the case... Lol. Or if you can listen by Genre's through Zune, man, that would give me what I want.
    02-28-2013 05:10 PM
    Nokia Music is the only streaming platform I use. There are genre-specific playlists you can listen to and download, but since you mentioned "Zune." I assume you're on 7.5/7.8, and IDK if Nokia Music is available on the legacy devices.
    02-28-2013 06:28 PM
    Nokia Music is the only streaming platform I use. There are genre-specific playlists you can listen to and download, but since you mentioned "Zune." I assume you're on 7.5/7.8, and IDK if Nokia Music is available on the legacy devices.
    Nokia Music is available for legacy Nokias.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-28-2013 06:51 PM
    VK Media Player, best for finding music, Nokia Music as Last.fm does not work anywhere but the UK and USA...
    03-01-2013 03:27 AM
    Spotify, when it works. The real answer: not on WP.
    03-01-2013 03:33 AM
    Free Nokia Music Radio Mixs (mainly online, as I have no limit for data and my battery is good enough, but I have downloaded 4 Radios for offline use too. just in case) ...

+ my own 1500 mp3 songs and few playlists (done by windows explorer) ... with "Find My Music" apps ... and sometimes trying other music apps too (I have few others too)...

... and the real answer is WP8 ... :)
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20130301_0001-1-.jpg  
    03-01-2013 04:41 AM
    Music skipping and ending 20s early prompted me to transfer all my multimedia back to my Fascinate. Doesn't mean I hate WP. Xbox, for one. Second, this community.
    03-01-2013 07:17 AM
    Yea I find Nokia mix suitable enough to quench a moderate amount of tunes, im still on the fence with Spotify as a "goto", rhapsody? Never tried that one?
    03-01-2013 10:53 AM
    If just for local music, there's a really beautiful music app called Listen. Great interface and automatically search and download lyrics. Plus the developer is very supportive of the platform and updates keep coming
    03-01-2013 02:43 PM
    For lyrics, I prefer "Lyrics" apps, just try it - one click and lyrics of current song in on your display ... well, I like that, 1 click for the certain tile and you are done - you can see lyrics, just like you can start lissening your favour artist, album, radio (online of offline one), playlist, etc. by just clicking a certain pinned tile .... :)
    03-02-2013 04:03 AM
    Mixtapes
    saulgould13 likes this.
    03-02-2013 05:07 AM
    I'm going to see if I care for Listen, as the lyrics portion sounds cool. Might try out Mixtapes as well, but I'm not sure it won't just be a redundancy from Nokia Music.

Anyone know of an app that will let you create playlists with your own music from your phone? That's what I've been looking for. I hate the interface of Xbox Music on the PC, and wish I could make my playlists via the Zune desktop software or an app on the phone.
    03-02-2013 12:36 PM
    I really only use Nokia Music. My whole purpose of using music streaming service is to find new music, not music i already own/know.

I have desk full of those things called CD's, 120GB of music on my PC. My music library is big enough already so i have no use for services like Spotify. Pandora and Mix Radio are for me. Don't need to worry about data caps either as there are no data caps on any contracts in Sweden.
    jabba_29 and saulgould13 like this.
    03-02-2013 01:10 PM
    Yeah, Nokia Music doesn't do a lot of good for finding new music for me. It puts either stuff I know I like or stuff I know I don't on it. The lack of a filtering system causes me to use the service less than I'd like, as I haven't found a single new band with it yet.
    03-02-2013 01:29 PM
    Rdio. Their app is okay in WP but I need cross platform availability and Rdio is better than Spotify IMO.
    03-02-2013 01:35 PM
    Is mixtapes similar to flat beats? I used to use stereomood often on my laptop, like the idea of a mood playlist, my brother suggested songza which is similar to stereomood however neither are available for wp platform. Listen seems pretty interesting.
    03-02-2013 03:45 PM
    Is mixtapes similar to flat beats? I used to use stereomood often on my laptop, like the idea of a mood playlist, my brother suggested songza which is similar to stereomood however neither are available for wp platform. Listen seems pretty interesting.
    There is a Songza app on WP8. Called Songza Unofficial.

My go-to music app(s) if Xbox Music fails me would be Beem Plus, and if that doesn't work, Slacker Radio.
    saulgould13 likes this.
    03-02-2013 03:55 PM
    Anyone know of an app that will let you create playlists with your own music from your phone? That's what I've been looking for. I hate the interface of Xbox Music on the PC, and wish I could make my playlists via the Zune desktop software or an app on the phone.
    This x1000. I have had the Lumia 920 for 3 days now and this driving me up the wall. It is a basic and common feature, even among the oldest of MP3 players. Serious over site when the stock apps were being developed. I listed to 8+ hours of music a day, and am currently tempted to just carry around the phone I just replaced for purely easy access to music playlists and creation.

What is even more surprising is that out of all of the app dev's out there, not one has thought to tackle this issue. It is a pretty common complaint from what I am seeing, and the lack of ability to just long press a song and choose "Add to Playlist" is mind blowing. Seriously. Simple feature.
    03-04-2013 10:56 AM
    This x1000. I have had the Lumia 920 for 3 days now and this driving me up the wall. It is a basic and common feature, even among the oldest of MP3 players. Serious over site when the stock apps were being developed. I listed to 8+ hours of music a day, and am currently tempted to just carry around the phone I just replaced for purely easy access to music playlists and creation.

What is even more surprising is that out of all of the app dev's out there, not one has thought to tackle this issue. It is a pretty common complaint from what I am seeing, and the lack of ability to just long press a song and choose "Add to Playlist" is mind blowing. Seriously. Simple feature.
    You know, I'm not sure if you can do it, but you MIGHT be able to add a playlist to the phone, then have that feature. I know that the ability to "add to now playing" shows up, at least I think it does. That, or it might be that you can create a now playing of songs you like, then it might allow it to be saved as a playlist.

Regardless, it's not TOO bad if you have to create playlists on the PC once, then add them. I just think it'd be nice to be able to do it from the device (IDK that you ever could from the Zune devices, I'll maybe check my Zune HD later). I often will be listening to something and think that I should make a playlist of it, but then I forget by the time I get to my computer.
    03-04-2013 12:42 PM
    Cloud Muzik
    03-04-2013 01:12 PM
    walkman_sony_tps_l2_phonografic.jpg
    Tgo1014 likes this.
    03-04-2013 01:29 PM
    Are you able to do this in the WP app? I was a Plus subscriber and its worked great. I just upgraded to Premium but I don't see a way to play any playlists from the phone.
    03-04-2013 01:53 PM
    You know, I'm not sure if you can do it, but you MIGHT be able to add a playlist to the phone, then have that feature. I know that the ability to "add to now playing" shows up, at least I think it does. That, or it might be that you can create a now playing of songs you like, then it might allow it to be saved as a playlist.

Regardless, it's not TOO bad if you have to create playlists on the PC once, then add them. I just think it'd be nice to be able to do it from the device (IDK that you ever could from the Zune devices, I'll maybe check my Zune HD later). I often will be listening to something and think that I should make a playlist of it, but then I forget by the time I get to my computer.
    I found the following work around that worked for my initial setup. Still can't edit or add on the fly directly from the device. This method works pretty well I suppose.

"This is the easiest way to make a playlist.

Make a playlist on your phone. Start an album or song playing. below the album art tap the song name. On this page tap the save icon on bottom and give your playlist a name. Stop the player

Connect the phone via USB to the PC.

With windows explorer open the music, playlist folder.

Right click the playlist file, select properties, resources tab.

You can now, add to the playlist from songs on your phone using drag and drop into the resources tab window.

From the recources tab window you can also delete songs from the playlist and set the play order."
    03-04-2013 02:00 PM
    You could just create your playlists in Zune (probably not auto playlists) and then use something like this ZplToWpl - Home to convert to wpl. WP8 will recognize wpl no problem.
    03-04-2013 02:01 PM
    You could just create your playlists in Zune (probably not auto playlists) and then use something like this ZplToWpl - Home to convert to wpl. WP8 will recognize wpl no problem.
    Did not know about that, will definitely have to try it out, thanks.
    03-04-2013 04:45 PM
50 12