Best Podcast App to replace the Store

WreckITRalph

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I was using Podcast Lounge but it is buggy and video playback is poor. It also doesn't tell you when new podcasts are available.

I am now using the new kid on the block. Podcaster.

Podcaster | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

It is amazing. It has the best native experience and is great for my video podcasts. It has scrubbing and you can set video to audio only if you want to lock your screen and just listen. Which I need on occasion.

I recommend Podcaster. Best pocast app for windows phone.:cool:

WillBrown

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Podcast Picker works well for me.
Download in the background
Live Tile shows count of unplayed
Skip 30 sec forward or back
Create playlists
Plays audio in background or under lockscreen

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how often the windows store checks for podcast updates? I was under the impression it checked for new podcasts when you plugged in and were connected to WiFi, but there have been several times that I know new episodes are available when I plug my phone in for the night, and I don't have the new episode in the morning.

Yakko Warner

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how often the windows store checks for podcast updates? I was under the impression it checked for new podcasts when you plugged in and were connected to WiFi, but there have been several times that I know new episodes are available when I plug my phone in for the night, and I don't have the new episode in the morning.

The last time I had it working, it seemed like it would be once every 24 hours (though the "once" wasn't always "overnight"; not sure when or how it decided what time to check).

Though after using the Windows application to sync some audiobooks as "podcasts" with my phone, the podcast function on my phone is completely broken. Oh, it plays the books I synced just fine as if they were podcasts (remembering position, for example), but I can't subscribe to new podcasts, it won't download episodes from podcasts I have subscribed to, and it's even refusing to unsubscribe from podcasts (even when I delete all the episodes contained therein).

wpy#WP

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The last time I had it working, it seemed like it would be once every 24 hours (though the "once" wasn't always "overnight"; not sure when or how it decided what time to check).

Though after using the Windows application to sync some audiobooks as "podcasts" with my phone, the podcast function on my phone is completely broken. Oh, it plays the books I synced just fine as if they were podcasts (remembering position, for example), but I can't subscribe to new podcasts, it won't download episodes from podcasts I have subscribed to, and it's even refusing to unsubscribe from podcasts (even when I delete all the episodes contained therein).

Same thing happened to me. Cannot unsubscribe, cannot delete and no new episodes!!! BROKEN!! My decision now is to to use the music app for audiobooks and find another app for podcast... still looking for a good app for podcast

Richard Szalay

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
It's not bad, I like the simplicity. My 810 is suffering over its inability to use the SD storage instead of the main storage (which I'm out of).

Unfortunately, write-access to SD cards is not available to third party developers (ie. not Microsoft or Nokia) so you won't find that feature anywhere.

Here's the reply I got from Gilles Khouzam (Senior Dev Lead on WP) when I asked him about it:

I’ve checked around and I’m afraid that non-public access to the SD card is only given to OEMs, it’s not a permissions that would be given to 3rd party developers

While I'm dubious, this article seems to imply that you can install apps from your SD card and they won't take up internal storage space, which might be worth trying. I can't test it personally since my phone does not have an SD card slot.

Last edited:

Yakko Warner

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, write-access to SD cards is not available to third party developers (ie. not Microsoft or Nokia) so you won't find that feature anywhere.
Very disappointing; I hope they allow this at some point in the very near future, as I'm down to 50MB free now. :(

While I'm dubious, this article seems to imply that you can install apps from your SD card and they won't take up internal storage space, which might be worth trying. I can't test it personally since my phone does not have an SD card slot.

Looks like it just keeps the XAP install file on the SD card, although the actual program is still installed to main storage. Still, any advantage I can get, I suppose....

jmurthy

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I use ITunes and sync to my 8S.

I really need the podcasts on my SD card because the 8S is limited and I couldn't find anything else that would do this. The native Windows application is completely broken.

leaperk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Its funny I keep going back to Bringcast due to the fact that it is the only one that will allow me to download any podcast using cellular data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb