Seeking Weather Apps With Radar Live Tile

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for apps whose live tile shows the current weather radar. I've found exactly one so far - Weather Radar Tile. The app is okay, but very very basic and not very attractive. Lots of other weather apps have a radar feature inside the app (such as The Weather Channel, Weather Master and Amazing Weather), but they don't show the current radar on a live tile.

My dream would be a live tile that actually shows radar in motion but I assume that is just not possible (well, perhaps some intrepid designer could take a picture of the current radar map, zoom in a little bit and then move it across the tile, sort of how the built-in Photo tile works).

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, The Weather Channel app has a live radar as the backside of the tile. They have full radar maps within the app, but it shows a 30-40 mile radius radar map on the tile itself.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
jonathanrn, you are partly correct. I've just discovered that there are TWO versions of the The Weather Channel app (aka "Weather"), and only one of them has the radar on the back of the live tile. That would be the version published by "Weather". The other one is published by "Nokia Corporation", and is the one I had I on my Lumia. Both of them show up when I search the Store on my phone, but the "Nokia" version does not appear when I search the Store from my laptop. The "Nokia" version has ~1385 reviews, while the other has ~4217 reviews.

These images show the differences between the two versions. The Nokia versions are bottom and right- the text is much cleaner and more metro looking, and the back of the tiles show either the 3-day forecast (wide tile) or one-day forecast (medium tile). Visually these are much more appealing but I wish they had the option of selecting the information that the tiles display.
scaledwp_ss_20130306_0003.jpgwp_ss_20130306_0004.jpg

I had seen previous posts mention radar on the TWC live tile and I had pinned/un-pinned several times and gone through the settings a dozen times. I thought perhaps it was a feature that had been dropped since at least two of the posts pre-dated WP8. It hadn't occurred to me that there were be two apps with the exact same name, logo, colors, etc. Go figure.

Well, if there are any other radar live tiles out there I'm still open to suggestions.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was using the weather channel app. The live tile did flip and show me radar over my area. However, over time, the temp and radar would not update timely. I've since uninstalled and now use amazing weather HD, for live tile and lockscreen. I purchased my radar pro. Its the best radar app I've seen (IMO). It works, but would love to see an update with live tile support.

msbg

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Chris,

I am the developer of Weather Radar Tile. I'm sorry you don't find it attractive. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve it? I'm very open to feedback and would appreciate any ideas. As far as putting animated radar on the live tile, this is a great idea, but unfortunately, the Windows Phone development kit has no way to do this.

Thanks!

craftsphysed

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
unable to pin live radar tile on my screen

Good morning,
When I first purchased the Nokia lumina with Windows, I had the radar live tile on the screen. Now I have to click on the WC app to view Some how I am unable to pin the radar to my screen
Thankyou
R C

update just installed the other WC and the radar live tile works. thankyou

Last edited:

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Chris,

I am the developer of Weather Radar Tile. I'm sorry you don't find it attractive. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve it? I'm very open to feedback and would appreciate any ideas. As far as putting animated radar on the live tile, this is a great idea, but unfortunately, the Windows Phone development kit has no way to do this.

Thanks!

Love the app for it's accurate and detailed forcasts. Wish the radar on the tile was a little clearer. Does it have severe weather alerts? If not, that would be a good addition.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Chris,

Thanks!

Hello and thanks for your great app. I am a weather spotter for the county I live in and use Weather Radar Tile exclusively when I am spotting. It is simple, accurate and loads very quickly. I especially like that I can pin different radar views like reflectivity and base velocity so I can quickly check storm location and any possible rotation.

The only thing I might suggest is to be able to add or remove different elements of the radar such as roads, cities and topo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo